Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

door speaker problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2008, 07:12 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default door speaker problem

hey guys... i had a blown pass door speaker, and went ahead and replaced it with a kenwood 6.5" 3-way. went ahead and did both doors, but the drivers side is golden. on the pass side, when i turn up the volume to a certain point, it starts crackling like it is goin bad... but a brand new speaker.

im gonna swap out the pass/driver speakers tomorrow and see if that speaker is bad. any ideas what it could be? thanks
Old 07-06-2008, 07:16 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, if it has the Monsoon sound system there is an amplifier located in the spare tire well IIRC. Could be the amp has checked out.

Still using the stock stereo?
Old 07-06-2008, 02:00 PM
12 Second Club

yup stock stereo... but if it was the amp wouldnt more speakers be doing it?
Old 07-06-2008, 03:22 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

It's unlikely that the amp is causing your problem - they hardly ever fail unless abused. The doors are wired for components and 3-way (or coaxial) speakers aren't a good choice for replacements. Chances are you've wired the passenger's side speaker to the tweeter wires instead of the woofer wires (so you don't get a full-range signal) or that you've mixed wires from the two pairs.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:24 PM
12 Second Club

well i actually paired both of the wires up and put them into one. it works great for the drivers side, but the passenger side is the only one that is acting up
Old 07-06-2008, 04:12 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It's unlikely that the amp is causing your problem - they hardly ever fail unless abused.
A lot of situations I've run into, the speaker(s) checked out because the amp was pushed too far and blew the speaker.

I don't know that wiring the two outputs together like that is a good idea.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:55 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by ChevyThunder17
A lot of situations I've run into, the speaker(s) checked out because the amp was pushed too far and blew the speaker.
That's not a faulty amp - that's an amp pushing distorted signal from the factory head unit or an amp that's clipping because it is pushed beyond it's power rating (or both).

Originally Posted by ChevyThunder17
I don't know that wiring the two outputs together like that is a good idea.
You're right...wiring the two channels together is like bridging an amp that isn't bridgeable. At low volume it's probably okay but it will fry the amp when you crank it up to higher volume.
Old 07-06-2008, 09:53 PM
12 Second Club

so if i get a component setup that should clear up my problems? i wanna get it fixed before it messes anything else up. i have the front speakers unplugged for now
Old 07-06-2008, 10:17 PM
On The Tree

yea. youll need the component set-up. like in my step bros stang, theres a box that you connect the speaker wire from the head unit to... then it has two other sets of outputs one to the tweeters and one to the woofers. but connecting the two together to the main speaker wires is not a good idea... like whitebird said. itll work at certain volumes and power levels, but when you exceed the ratings for paricular speakers theyll do whats happening.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:59 PM
12 Second Club

well i took the wires from the head unit to the speakers and just bypassed the amp. i think it sounds a little better myself... but that fixed it for now