Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Calling out APS

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 12:28 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Calling out APS

I'm making this thread in hopes to get ahold of APS, publicly. I know what you all are saying, PM peter@aps. I did, almost 3 weeks ago. On August 1, 2009 I sent this:

Originally Posted by xXxSilveradoxXx
I'm very interested in your F-Body Twin Turbo Kit and I was wondering; Would it be possible to purchase one of these kits without the turbos?

Pete
For 3 weeks there has been no word from Peter. I've kept an eye on peter@aps's public profile and have noticed that he's been online quite a bit since then.

So, since PMing isn't working I'll ask my question in thread form, although my question has since changed.

What is it going to take to be able to get one of your F-Body kit's without turbos?

I, as well as most everyone else in this sub-forum, agree; your kit is a work of art. I mean, look at it.

Your build design and quality appear to be top notch, your instructions are thorough, the kit makes power and we aren't really at risk of getting out deposits stolen like some previous shops have done. I can get past the little quirks of your system.

-The plastic blow offs from saab turbo look cheap being plastic
-you should have supplied the better t bolt clamps for anything that sees boost go thru it. Worm gear clamps have no place in a kit like this.
-swaybars hitting the intercooler tubes, denting and damaging them
-turbo inlet tubes sucking shut

I completely understand that there might be a few little problems when making something as complicated at a twin turbo kit for a V8 car with a tight engine bay.

The thing is I can't get past the idea that if I buy this kit I'm really taking a gamble with the turbos. I mean they are such a instrumental part of this twin turbo kit and they may, or may not work. I don't know if you got a faulty batch or if you got cheap Chinese knock-offs. What I care about is the fact that if the new turbos don't work I would be left to pick up the bill for some new ones on my own. I know plenty of people have purchased your kit and haven't had any problems with the turbos whatsoever, but, there are also plenty who have.

Here are a few threads that have raised my eyebrows. Feel free to search, there are more.

APS drivers turbo blew today!

Are one of my APS turbos blown?

Aps turbo failure symptoms

killed one more APS turbo any ideas and who has a extra one ?

Another dead aps turbo

APS results, problems already, and my first race....

More f-body APS TT problems...

Pics of major defect i found in APS turbo!

Pics of the internals of bad APS turbo

I have a extra APS F body turbo

So, APS, what do you say? Will you offer us a kit minus the questionable turbos?

Think before you answer, the turbo kit market for the New Camaro is just starting. It wouldn't surprise me if you have one, or are getting one, to start the R+D process to build a kit for them. Trust me, it is bad business leaving so many F-Body owners high and dry with bad turbos. I'm not telling you to fix the problem and give everybody with bad turbos new ones because I know that just isn't gonna happen. All I can suggest is that you offer to stop the problem now and make your TT kit with no turbos included as an option.

Mods, please read this before you delete this thread, edit this thread, suspend me or ban me. I understand that it may seem like I am taking the offensive on this but I'm not. APS is a Sponsor and I am just a regular member, I understand that you may want to take action against me but think before you act. Many of your members have spent their hard earned money on this turbo kit that has 2 low quality, very expensive parts in it. I am just publicly making my case and asking a question.

APS, please read this before you post. You are free to answer me however you like. I would prefer that you offer us your awesome kit with an option for no turbos but if you don't, that's your decision. If you blow me off again I will sign up on every forum for cars that you make products for and I will post a link to this or a complete new thread (if the mods here delete this one). You will not blow me off again.

LS1Tech Members, please read. I suggest that once you read this you copy and save it, or, print it up. There is no telling how long this thread will be here, or how long I'll be here for that matter.

Do me a favor LS1Tech; everyone who reads this should leave a comment or bump this up to the top. Lets keep this issue on top until we are satisfied with what APS has to say.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hello.
I like turbo's
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have most of the APS turbo kit problems been addressed by APS?
Old 08-19-2009, 12:44 PM
12 Second Club

There have been alot of issues pop up here recently. I'm not goin turbo, but I'm always interested in seeing how a sponsor replies to something like this. It lets the public know weather to trust them or not by how they handle the situation.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:45 PM
On The Tree

i wonder how much longer it will take one of our wonderful admins to lock this up and make it disapeer
Old 08-19-2009, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

IMO (just my opinion from a business perspective) it doesn't really make much sense for him as a business owner and one of the most recognizable turbo setup producers for fbody's to offer his kit with piping and hardware - turbos. he'd end up with a stack of turbos no one wants (stock that he has already invested in, and have been badmouthed to death) that would just end up being dead weight loss. he's gonna keep getting orders regardless, efficient from his standpoint. and just like you said, at least with ordering from aps you don't have to worry about some nobody snatching up your entire deposit leaving you high and dry like so many people have had to deal with. everyone wants their cake and to eat it too but sometimes it's not that easy...

in any case i seriously doubt he's not looking into the problem... but anyways what do i know (obviously nothing about his financial operations).... just an opinion.... additionally it's his choice if he wants to sell you the kit without the turbos, he is not obligated to in any fashion and it kinda sounds like you're overreacting to his free-market choice.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DeepV
i wonder how much longer it will take one of our wonderful admins to lock this up and make it disapeer
Old 08-19-2009, 12:56 PM
FormerVendor

Did you try calling them?
Old 08-19-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Why not just buy the kit and sell the turbos and call lg for the better ones. The only thing I hear bad about the aps is the recent run of the turbos. The kit is the **** I seen it on a 9 sec TA its clean and it works. Id say buy and dump the turbos and try to recoupe some cheese.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Brakemotive
Did you try calling them?
you ever call them?

i did. and the lady answered the phone asked me if i was a dealer. i said "no"
so she said "sorry, call on of our state side dealers. they can help" and while i tried saying they cant help, she hung up.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:50 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Big_Bird_WS6
you ever call them?

i did. and the lady answered the phone asked me if i was a dealer. i said "no"
so she said "sorry, call on of our state side dealers. they can help" and while i tried saying they cant help, she hung up.
I have not, but I thought it was a legitimate question. Sounds like crappy support to me.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by beatmeofficer
IMO (just my opinion from a business perspective) it doesn't really make much sense for him as a business owner and one of the most recognizable turbo setup producers for fbody's to offer his kit with piping and hardware - turbos. he'd end up with a stack of turbos no one wants (stock that he has already invested in, and have been badmouthed to death) that would just end up being dead weight loss. he's gonna keep getting orders regardless, efficient from his standpoint. and just like you said, at least with ordering from aps you don't have to worry about some nobody snatching up your entire deposit leaving you high and dry like so many people have had to deal with. everyone wants their cake and to eat it too but sometimes it's not that easy...

in any case i seriously doubt he's not looking into the problem... but anyways what do i know (obviously nothing about his financial operations).... just an opinion.... additionally it's his choice if he wants to sell you the kit without the turbos, he is not obligated to in any fashion and it kinda sounds like you're overreacting to his free-market choice.
What great points... Too bad they only apply to products that are not defective.

People shouldn't have to buy turbo's that are going to break... lol, come on.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:01 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
Why not just buy the kit and sell the turbos and call lg for the better ones. The only thing I hear bad about the aps is the recent run of the turbos. The kit is the **** I seen it on a 9 sec TA its clean and it works. Id say buy and dump the turbos and try to recoupe some cheese.

Well, if the reputation for the F-body APS kit turbos gets any worse, do you think they will even be able to be sold?
Old 08-19-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

very well written thread and inquiry.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:22 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by NemeSS
very well written thread and inquiry.
agreed, and unbiased as well
Old 08-19-2009, 02:30 PM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Very legitimate thread. Subscribing.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:38 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
Well, if the reputation for the F-body APS kit turbos gets any worse, do you think they will even be able to be sold?
agreed.

APS has made their money, they dont care now...Cust service sucks at best. Peter has posted a few times but tends to stay away from anything regarding bad turbos on their kit.

side note off topic: nice article in GM high tech on your vehicle...that is your car right?? lol not too many like yours around.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:44 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by bboyferal
What great points... Too bad they only apply to products that are not defective.

People shouldn't have to buy turbo's that are going to break... lol, come on.
it was one point and only applies to defective products. he's prob not gonna junk and entire stock of turbos that may or may not be defective if he can still sell them. i never said it was right, i was just saying... business doesn't have to be good business. cool car btw
Old 08-19-2009, 02:45 PM
Launching!

bump : )
Nicely written
Old 08-19-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think APS should look into getting turbo's from a leading manfacturer like Precision or Turbonetics, even if there price has to jump alittle. At least for his sake, if someone buys a kit and two weeks after install the turbo goes bad, then he can take it up with the turbo manufacturer. That's how most businesses work anyways. If the business buys something and shortly after install there's a defect then it comes back on the manufacturer. I have the feeling that if he's not listening to anyones complaints about turbo failure, then he must not have a reputiable, backed company that will stand behind there product.

I think that alot of us would feel much better with a name brand turbo in his kit anyways. I think that's one of the things that hurts there vette market. TTi uses turbonetics and there kit offers more versitility.

Quick Reply: Calling out APS