Sponsored by: DashLynx

Have HID, want projector housings

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Have HID, want projector housings

Hi,

I finally installed my HID 8k kit from LED gauges, and the difference from stock is amazing.
I tried adjusting the low beams down, but even then the glare is dazzling, as they are in reflector housings.
Is there a projector housing I can swap for the reflector housing, to make a better cut off?
And how much are they going to cost me??
Old 02-28-2009, 09:05 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

Check out the Lighting FAQ.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/710357-lighting-faq.html
Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

does anyone know if anyone just sells the reflector housings without the HIDS?
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 02BLKWS6MD
does anyone know if anyone just sells the reflector housings without the HIDS?
Yup. Check Ebay. It's where many are getting them from.
Old 03-05-2009, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for the links VIP1.
Seems more has been added to the stickies since I last read through, still missing some of the pics though.

I kind of wanted a projector that was square like stock, but it seems there are none available, as they are all round.
I guess there is no way to modify the reflector housing / lense to reduce the glare?

So, considering I already have a HID kit, and just want new housings, which ones are the most reasonable projector housings I can mount the HID bulbs into?

Sorry to ask basic questions, but I don't really understand all the options and links, which is why I bought a 'kit'.

Thank you for the help,
Paul.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:15 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Have you seen these threads:

Blackbirdws6's setup using Bi-Xenon FX projectors:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/849199-93-97-firebird-bi-xenon-fx-projector-retro-fit-updated-w-write-up.html

MOE_TAWS6's setup using 2008 BMW 5-series (e60) bi-xenon projectors:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...5-ta-pics.html

Start there with info on a projector retrofit for your 1993-1997 Firebird. Remember, that when looking for a projector for that model/year, you need bi-xenon projectors since you only have one housing/bulb performing both duties of hi/lo beams.

Looking at those two threads, I'd recommend the FX projector although I think Blackbirdws6's setup needs to be more sealed in the rear and more secure mounting. None the less its a great result.

Check out HID Planet's foums for more info on HID and retrofits.

Also a word about 4300K, 5000k, 8000k.....etc...
The K number is the color temp. It is not the brightness (well not directly, I'll explain). 4000K - 5000K is the brightest. Continuing up the color scale, the light gets bluer then purpler and the lumen output (the actual measurement of light) decreases. In other words, a 8000k HID kit is dimmer than a 4300K HID kit. Our eyes are least sensitive to blue light. Blue light also scatters more easily. In the end, we can see better with a 4300K HID for many reasons.
Old 03-05-2009, 04:43 PM
TECH Resident

What about something like this VIP1

Old 03-05-2009, 05:46 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by cgroh89
What about something like this VIP1

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g2.../ak-new-13.jpg
That is not a projector and has crappy output. Its just a cheap reflector housing with a chunk of glass stuck in it to fool people. On top of that, the reflector is black which further reduces output. Those really suck.

That being said, some people buy cheap clear lens housing like that (or a version with a chrome reflector and without that hunk of glass in it) and hack them up to mount a real HID projector in them. That of course depends on the amount of space available behind the headlights on the car because part of the projector will stick out the back. I'm not sure there is enough space available behind the headlights on a 1993-1997 Firebird.

Here is what I am talking about:
Here is pic of blazin_jason's setup (he's a member on HID Planet's Forums).

Here is a pic of the back of drroy's setup (he's a member on HID Planet's Forums).

http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=16085

I think those two setups are using 7x6 housings though and the 1993-1997 Firebird has 4x6 housings.

Last edited by VIP1; 03-05-2009 at 06:08 PM.
Old 03-06-2009, 04:45 AM
TECH Resident

Thank you for the replys guys.
I have a 2001 Trans Am though.
I have read the stickies, but don't understand the lingo yet.
I've got my yearly car test soon (UK - MOT test), and I think the low beams will have too much glare to pass.
I looked on ebay too, but there are so many different ones, I'm not sure what to get that will fit.
Bear in mind I already have the bulbs and ballasts, so just need projector housings for the low beams.

Your help is very appreciated,
Paul.
Old 03-06-2009, 06:38 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Originally Posted by taws6
I have a 2001 Trans Am though.
Oh, I thought you had a 1997 for some reason.
Anyway, I have a 2001 and I have projectors. My write-up and others with 1998-2002 are listed in the Lighting FAQ

I have read the stickies, but don't understand the lingo yet.
What are some terms that aren't clear. I'll try to fill in.

I've got my yearly car test soon (UK - MOT test), and I think the low beams will have too much glare to pass.
If you have HID in your Halogen housings, you'll probably fail the MOT when they use the beam analyzer on your headlights.

I looked on ebay too, but there are so many different ones, I'm not sure what to get that will fit.
The 1998 - 2002 Firebird has 4703 low beam and 4701 high beam which are smaller than 4 x 6 (I must have thought you had a 1997 when you said 4 x 6 since I think that is roughly the size of their bulbs). There are only a couple alternate housings available in the 4701/4703 size. A couple that come to mind are Bosche/Hella which use H4 bulbs and Eurolamps which use H7 bulbs. The Bosche/Hella has a better beam pattern but a dual filament bulb, odd since the 4703 only needs the low beam filament and the 4701 only needs the high beam filament and the H4 is dimmer than the H7. There are higher wattage H4 bulbs available too, but you should upgrade the wiring with a relay harness or risk burning the stock wires. Upgrading to a relay harness is a good idea even with stock style headlights because the stock wiring on many cars often has reduced voltage output (lower than the 14.4v alternator output) which leads to dimmer light output. Both of those housings are intended for Halogen bulbs and neither should have HID put into them.

Bear in mind I already have the bulbs and ballasts, so just need projector housings for the low beams.
Which kit did you get? HID projectors typically use D2S bulbs (some also use D1S and D4S). Aftermarket HID kits usually have Halogen part numbers (H7, H4, H9, 9006, etc). For example, my projectors are technically Halogen H9 projectors so I have a H9 HID kit.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:01 AM
TECH Resident

Hi VIP1

Thanks for the reply.

Thing that I don't fully understand:

H4 , H7, H9, 9006, 4703, 4701, D2S , D1S , D4S.
I guess they are all related to housing and bulb shapes and sizes.

I bought the kit from Nathan at LEDGAUGES , and they have Xenon Bulbs (8000k), not sure what type they are though.

So it sounds like I need a projector housing that will take my Xenon bulbs and fit in the pop up headlights.

Which housings would you recommend for the low beams, that have a decent cutoff and are reasonably priced?

Thanks for the help,

Paul.
Old 03-07-2009, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The LEDGauges kit doesn't even say what kind of bulb system it is, it just says "Plug N' Play Trans Am HID kit." So I assume everything is already installed into the housing and everything. Basically, taws6, the HID kit you have has to have a bulb type. An example of traditional bulb types are H4, H7, H9, 9006 etc etc. Maybe look on the ballasts (small metal looking box that connects to wire harness) and see if it says the type. You need to know that first before you can find projectors, as most projectors have their own bulb types. Also you need to make sure you can separate the HID kit from the housing.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Thing that I don't fully understand:
H4 , H7, H9, 9006, 4703, 4701, D2S , D1S , D4S.
I guess they are all related to housing and bulb shapes and sizes.
Those are the bulb part numbers, not the housing names.

Using the part numbers you poste:
H4 , H7, H9, 9006, 4703, 4701 are Halogen
D2S , D1S , D4S as HID

In that list 4703/4701 are a bit different in that they are sealed beam bulbs. What this means is that the bulb and housing are one unit. There isn't a separate removable bulb.

I bought the kit from Nathan at LEDGAUGES , and they have Xenon Bulbs (8000k), not sure what type they are though.
I think that kit comes with conversion housings which are basically hollowed out 4703/4701 sealed beam units with a H4 or H7 bulb socket grafted onto the back so that it can accept a regular H4 or H7 Halogen bulb. Aftermarket ones typically accept H4 or H7 bulbs. Alternatively you can make your own conversion housing my hacking up a 4703/4701 sealed beam to accept a regular Halogen bulb. I don't know which was done for that kit, but I'm guessing he used pre-made housings which means that the kit probably is an H4 or H7 kit. If its an H7 kit, you can get H7 projectors and use the kit. If its H4 projectors, you need new bulbs. There are no H4 projectors.

So it sounds like I need a projector housing that will take my Xenon bulbs and fit in the pop up headlights.
There aren't any that will just fit without modification. It will be a custom install.

Which housings would you recommend for the low beams, that have a decent cutoff and are reasonably priced?
That depends on what you want to spend and how comfortable you are with customization.

Originally Posted by 98 WS6
So I assume everything is already installed into the housing and everything.
Most likely. Hopefully the kit uses a conversion housing with a removable bulb instead of custom made housings with the bulbs glued in.

Maybe look on the ballasts (small metal looking box that connects to wire harness) and see if it says the type.
The ballast won't say the bulb part number since the same ballast can be used with many different bulb part numbers. All aftermarket ballasts have AMP connectors which is not bulb specific since all the kit bulbs also have AMP connectors.
Old 03-07-2009, 11:38 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Here is a response I pm'd to 98_WS6 recently on which projectors/setup to use and you might find it helpful as well.

Originally Posted by VIP1
DirtyBird222 used the Hella 90mm H7 projectors. I have the H9 version. Take a look at my install in the Lighting FAQ for more pictures.
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...hting-faq.html

VIP1's setup using Hella 90mm H9 projectors and a 4300K H9 HID kit:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...leny-pics.html

dirtybird222's setup using Hella 90mm H7 projectors with H7-to-D2s adapters:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/866146-appearance-update-new-headlights-calipers-painted.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/875992-progression-my-car-56k-get-real.html
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39795
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=39549

My host isn't the most reliable, so if you don't see the pictures at first, try again later.

The adapter plates he used allow a D2S bulb (normal HID projector bulb) to be mounted in place of a Halogen H7 bulb. You can find that adapter at HID Planet, ebay and other places.

Since you are going the projector route, I'd recommend dumping the 12000k bulbs and go with a 4300K setup. you can keep the ballasts and get the following:
* D2S to AMP adapter ($25)
* D2S to H7 adapter plates ($18)
* D2S bulbs (I'd recommend Phillips 85122 or 85122+) ($30 - $90 for the pair depending on which bulb you get and where you look.)
That would run you about $73 or more.

Then you can get the Hella 90mm H7 projectors and mount the D2S bulbs into them. You should also be able to make curved shields for them like I did for the H9 version.

Alternatively, you can get a new 4300K setup (H7 kit or D2S OEM) which would be $75 or more for H7 or $95 or more for D2S but the D2S setup would still need the D2S to H7 adapter plates for a total closer to $113, but I would recommend the D2S setup especially if you get an OEM setup instead of a Kit since the OEM setups tend to be more reliable and you can use a real HID projector for better output, but on our cars it would be a lot more work to get them installed and sealed up.

Actually, thinking about it further, I'd recommend keeping your current ballast and getting the D2S bulb and adapters. That way, if 35 watt isn't bright enough for you, you can get 55watt ballasts (all of them are aftermarket kits, hence the need for the adapters). This gives you more flexibility. Also, if you do go with 55watt, I'd recommend DL50 bulbs since they are designed for 50+ watt and will run cooler and last longer, but they are harder to find and more expensive. Many people have used the 35watt Phillips 85122 bulbs (and some other bulbs) at 55watt without issue so its up to you. Just keep in mind that running 55watt puts out more heat. I've seen the chrome on the bowl of some some smaller projectors damaged do to the higher heat output. I have not seen anyone use 55watt in the Hella 90mm H7 or H9 so I don't know what will happen but since they are designed for Halogen which puts out more heat than 35 watt HID and they are a decent size (although sealed which can trap heat), they should be fine. I'm actually considering bumping up to 55watt in my Hella 90mm H9 as well. In truth, my output, although better than Halogen, isn't as good as some OEM HID setups I've seen on the road. Also, I think my bulbs have color shifted (HID bulbs get bluer with age and output reduces). I think they are closer to 6000K now than the original 4300K and lumen output has reduced as well.

There are some setups in the Lighting FAQ using real HID projectors, but none of those installs are quite completely protected/sealed although they are a good start. An HID projector will have better output and beam spread than a Halogen projector with a kit. Hella does make a D2S version of the 90mm projector but it costs $167 each (some places only have it in a kit with ballast and bulb for $560 each which is really overpriced). I have not seen any output shots of the Hella 90mm D2S so I don't know if its that much better than the H7 or H9 versions with a kit. If you want an OEM HID projector, I'd recommend the TSX or FX for their size, output, and they are relatively easy to get. I was behind a TSX the other day and his OEM HID trounced my setup. Way brighter and better beam width.

Here are some pictures of what I am talking about:

D2S bulbs:

D2S to AMP adapaters:

D2S to H7 adapter plates:

Wow, that was a lot of info. Maybe this should be put into a thread?
The Hella 90mm projector will be the easiest to install on a 1998-2002 firebird and has decent output, but a real HID projector will have better output. This is where comfort in customization comes in.

The Hella 90mm projectors can be had for about $130 for the pair and TSX or FX projectors can be had for $130 - $170 for the pair, but require more effort to install and increased incidental cost in the 1998-2002 Firebird.
Old 03-07-2009, 02:54 PM
TECH Resident

Hello again,

From what you've said it sounds like I have 4703 / 4701 housings (very simular to stock), but they have a removable bulb, and a socket grafted onto the back for the bulbs.
The kit uses a conversion housing with a removable bulb instead of custom made housings with the bulbs glued in.

I am fairly comfortable with a small amout of customisation to make the projectors fit in the stock location.

VIP1:
the kit probably is an H4 or H7 kit. If its an H7 kit, you can get H7 projectors and use the kit. If its H4 projectors, you need new bulbs. There are no H4 projectors.
The bulbs look like the D2S that you posted below.

So basicly I need to find out if I have H4 or H7.
If I post up some pictures of the bulbs and housing, will you be able to tell what type I have?
Hopefully they are H7 ........
Old 03-07-2009, 03:01 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

The bulbs look like the D2S that you posted below.
The top half (glass globe and return wire) will look the same. Its the base that will be different for different applucations (H4, H7, D2S, etc).

So basicly I need to find out if I have H4 or H7.
If I post up some pictures of the bulbs and housing, will you be able to tell what type I have?
If you post pics, I may be able to tell what you have by looking at the pics. Although, since you have a 8000K kit, I'd recommend swapping the 8000k bulbs for 4300K bulbs for better output and whiter light (instead of the blue-ish 8000k).
Old 03-07-2009, 03:39 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks for your reply VIP1.

Its the base that will be different for different applucations
Ahh I see.

I understand the 4300k are better for light output, but I like the blue tint on the 8000k.

I will try and post some pics up tomorrow.

Thanks for taking the time to help me out, I'll get back soon.......
Old 03-07-2009, 05:36 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I understand a bit more after reading some of this again VIP. I have an H7 HID kit. I guess I can either use this kit with an H7 projector, or make a whole new setup with a TSX projectors or something similar. So, what kind of projector COULD I use with the H7 HID kit I already have?
Old 03-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Copy & Paste Moderator

I understand a bit more after reading some of this again VIP. I have an H7 HID kit. I guess I can either use this kit with an H7 projector, or make a whole new setup with a TSX projectors or something similar. So, what kind of projector COULD I use with the H7 HID kit I already have?
There are H7 projectors on the market although I'm not too familiar with them. Here are some that I know of: current MX5 (Miata), 2002-2005 Sonata, Hella 90mm H7, some VW, and some Audi. I've seen the MX5 H7 projectors with HID and they perform well. I have not seen the Sonata H7 projectors with HID so I can't comment on those. I have seen the Hella 90mm H7 with projectors and they also perform well (I think the MX5 may be better though, not sure). I don't know about how the VW or Audi projectors perform with HID. Of that list, the Hella 90mm H7 would probably be the easiest to get and install on a 1998-2002 Firebird.

Here is a thread from HID Planet's forms where someone asks what H7 projectors are out there:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=37754
You might have to be a member to view the thread. I'd suggest joining and searching/reading around a bit. I'm on there with the same screen name.
Old 03-07-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Grab a cheap set of sealed beams temporarily

Quick Reply: Have HID, want projector housings