Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Custom Reupholstery Cost

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 12:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Custom Reupholstery Cost

How much would it cost to get my seats recovered in black leather compared to getting the grey ones fixed? I would also like to get a trans am bird embroidered into the headrests. It will only be to front two seats.
Old 08-06-2009, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

To get them done in vynl it will run you 200-250 a seat. to match with original color in leather it will run you maybe another 150-200 per seat. then you looking at the cost of the embroidery for each headrest. maybe $50-75 a piece there.

My dad has been doing car upholstery for around 25 years now. he has redone all seats in every car in our family with custom upholstery including my first car with embroidered head rests, and is now about to start on my T/A.

keep in mind that those prices are for one solid color and material. if you want to run two different colors and materials (such as suede or anything else) then that will definitely up the price.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:16 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You may be able to find a set of good used ones for cheap. And you could always take the headrest off to get re-done. Just a thought.

There are also companies out there that will do it for about $600-700 for all four... plus installation if you don't want to do it yourself.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:28 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you could probably do it for ~ $850 or so if you can find new seat plastics, or i suppose you could repaint yours. i had my seats reupholstered with the hawks kit and you could just order the ebony set for the 93-97 seats and then paint or replace the seat plastics. if you want to retain stock looking seats you must get your old accordian bolster pieces cut from the old upholstery and sewn into the new upholstery and repainted if you want black. i paid $450 for the sewing and installation of the front upholstery and $400 for the upholstery itself. here's my seats with the graphite kit.

-non-sponsor-

Last edited by MadIceV8; 08-07-2009 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:57 PM
Launching!

ill get pics of the damage on mine later i dont know if i have to replace it all or just some of the inserts which would probably be cheaper
Old 08-06-2009, 04:39 PM
TECH Addict

i second the hawks deal! i recovered mine with their kit, it was only $450 for everything, and thats with instructions and hardware to install it all yourself, everything you need minus spray adgesive, which i recommend. it is a thick, soft vinyl, which IMO is waaaay better than the stock leather. its softer, more comfy, doesnt get hot in summer, doesnt crack, etc. give bruce or BJ a call there, they are great people to work with!

that pic is when it was just isntalled. after it sat in the sun, the wrinkles worked themselves out.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:25 PM
Launching!

i was looking at the hawks third gen kit and will probably get it but i dont want to spend that much in labor. has anyone else gotten the accordian sewn in or even romoved? prices or pics please!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Launching!

Why doesn't anybody in here mass produce them that way we can get them for like 500 dollars for the whole set, im sure people will buy them for that price!
Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbeauty2012
i was looking at the hawks third gen kit and will probably get it but i dont want to spend that much in labor. has anyone else gotten the accordian sewn in or even romoved? prices or pics please!!!
They have pictures on there website of them without the accordians.

I have the Torch Red and Ebony ones in my Camaro - I love them. They cost like $425 shipped and they are really easy to put on yourself.

Excuse the mess, but heres a picture:

Last edited by Counted Out; 08-06-2009 at 11:50 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 09:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by munecorey
Why doesn't anybody in here mass produce them that way we can get them for like 500 dollars for the whole set, im sure people will buy them for that price!
Uhhh...They only cost $425 shipped a set right now.

Last edited by Counted Out; 08-06-2009 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:44 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=Counted Out;12031546]They have pictures on there website of them without the accordians.

I have the Torch Red and Ebony ones in my Camaro - I love them. They cost like $425 shipped and they are really easy to put in yourself.

but has anyone had any experience with taking them off and what modifications you have to do to make it look good
Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Looks F**king Amazing!!!
Old 08-06-2009, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

but has anyone had any experience with taking them off and what modifications you have to do to make it look good
What do you mean taking them off? The stock covers come over pretty easily if that's what you mean.

You don't have to do much to make them look good. Just put them on and follow the directions. My drivers side has a few wrinkles because my seat foam was torn and I didn't feel like replacing it. But if you look at the passengers side and the rear seats, they fit damn perfect.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 99Ls1fever
Looks F**king Amazing!!!
If that was meant for me, thank you.

If it was meant for the others, I agree. They look great.
Old 08-07-2009, 12:03 AM
Launching!

sry i was talking about taking off the accordions because i saw it costs 400 just to get them sewn onto the cover and was just wondering what people did as far as alternate routes
Old 08-07-2009, 12:05 AM
Launching!

ahh i see that you have a camaro without the stupid accodions
Old 08-07-2009, 12:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

sry i was talking about taking off the accordions because i saw it costs 400 just to get them sewn onto the cover and was just wondering what people did as far as alternate routes
I'm pretty sure the accordians will come off when you pull off the old seat covers. Then you simply put on the new seat covers, which don't have the accordians.

Old 08-07-2009, 12:46 AM
Launching!

Thanks you really helped out hopefully i can get mine soon!!!
Old 08-07-2009, 01:24 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Counted Out
Uhhh...They only cost $425 shipped a set right now.
I meant front seats and back seats the sell for over $800
Old 08-07-2009, 01:32 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I'm pretty sure the accordians will come off when you pull off the old seat covers. Then you simply put on the new seat covers, which don't have the accordians.
thats true. the hawks kit comes with leather to cover those areas but imo it looks better if you get the accordian pieces cut and sewn which costs ~ $200-$250 or less. i paid $250 which included installing the leather onto the seats. the other $200 was because i couldn't get the seats put together since i couldn't get the screws for the side panels to line up with the plastic backing. i took them back to have the shop do them and was a bit disgusted when they charged me another $200 after the seats were complete.

if you mean has anyone gotten them sewn into the new fabric, see my post above. they should have been ~ $250 to get sewn and mounted on the front seats but i had trouble getting everything put back together so i took the seats back and had the upholstery shop finish them which is where the other $200 came from.

if you mean has anyone left them off and just left the excess fabric in that area like hawks sells them, here is how that looks from a pic i found on thirdgen.org of a 91-92 GTA 'vert. imo they just don't look right without the accordian pieces.

here are a couple pics of my seats in progress.

I replaced my foam with a new one because i knew the old foam would be damaged

new foam on right

this was where i was having trouble. i don't think the shop positioned the new foam right on the seat and due to this i couldn't stretch the plastic to where it needed to be in older to screw it into the back

another pic of the side bolsters

my biggest frustration on the whole job was actually the rear seat because one of my handles wouldn't come undone. i went and got a special pozidrive screwdriver bit which is similar to philips but has notches at the angles between the 4 heads. one side stripped and by the time we got it out the nut that was attatched to the seat broke. luckily i was able to jb weld it back in place

fixed

the rear seats themselves were pretty straightforward. cut off all the hogrings, pull up the fabric and then add velcro to the pads and then put the new fabric on. for the upper seat you just unclip the fabric at the bottom and slide it up. it will be inside out when it comes off. this is also how you want to install it, inside out, you slide it down the seat and at the end it will be right, and then you just hogring the bottom together. for some reason the hawks kit didn't come with clips for the bottom of the rear seat top section. the lower parts of the front seats have them just like the oem covers did but the rear seat you had to hogring.

pic of underside of seat bottom showing all the hogrings on it

rear seat with seat cover installed but not hogringed down (i had to make sure the bolt for the handle would hold before i hogringed the cover in place

Last edited by 1995blacktattop; 08-07-2009 at 01:57 AM.

Quick Reply: Custom Reupholstery Cost