Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Socal detail trip pt. 3: The SPECIALIZED STAINLESS Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2010, 03:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Socal detail trip pt. 3: The SPECIALIZED STAINLESS Camaro

Here is part 3 of my detail trip to socal. Same owner as the Z06. This car was previously owned by SPECIALIZED STAINLESS, a former sponsor on LS1tech. If you've been here a while, you might remember the build of this car here: https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...aro-build.html

Unfortunately the car was in very poor shape. It had excessive contamination buildup and oxidation was starting as well. It looked good from 20 ft, but any closer than that and it started showing its age. So it was my job to make it look beautiful again. The contamination is hard to photograph, and it was WAY worse in person but I think I got some good descriptive pics of it. Took about 4 hours to clay all the contaminents off. Afterwards it was followed with 1 step correction to bring some life and gloss back to the paint while cutting out the majority of swirls as well. After a good 10+ hours of work this SS was back to looking good again. Onto the pics...

befores...

you can really see the heavy contamination here...

contamination removed from spoiler. can still see where some hasn't been removed below the spoiler

Finished pics...

I was fighting with cloud cover again. I guess this is the norm in the early morning near the coast this time of year.

The sun finally peaked out for a couple minutes, barely...

Thanks for checkin it out!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:47 AM
TECH Junkie

dude i freakin hate you lol now by lookin at these pics i wish my car looked that freakin good lol haha but for real though great lookin car and amazing work you did to it. much props to you sir
Old 10-14-2010, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome job and nice to see what you can do with a white car!!!
Old 10-14-2010, 08:13 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good job !!

what did you use to clean the chrome z06s ?
now i hate my rims!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

WOW! Nice work
Old 10-14-2010, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

Woow that is a really good looking SS now. Great work!
Old 10-14-2010, 11:33 AM
Teching In

Looks great. Good job.
Old 10-14-2010, 11:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Looks great!

How would one go about getting the contamination off the bumper? I spent about 4 hours claying my car this weekend, and focused a lot on the bumper. I had a lot of contamination like shown in the picture you posted. I just could not get it all out.

Can you give me any advice?
Old 10-14-2010, 12:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Will you be making future so cal trips? I'm moving to San Diego in June and would love to have some work done if you come down next summer. Also, if you could PM me on some price info, that would be great.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Thanks guys!

Originally Posted by Juicy J
Looks great!

How would one go about getting the contamination off the bumper? I spent about 4 hours claying my car this weekend, and focused a lot on the bumper. I had a lot of contamination like shown in the picture you posted. I just could not get it all out.

Can you give me any advice?

You may want to step up to an aggressive claybar, but be prepared to do some paint correction afterwards to remove the marring from the aggressive clay.

Originally Posted by transsam
Will you be making future so cal trips? I'm moving to San Diego in June and would love to have some work done if you come down next summer. Also, if you could PM me on some price info, that would be great.
This trip was a learning experience. Had like 8 LS1tech members interested and then 5 bailed and 3 of them wouldn't even answer PMs or phonecalls after I spent a lot of time coordinating with them what day, what we would do for their car, etc... So IF I do another one, it will be with deposits and solid commitments. So if people commit, yes I will do another one.
Old 10-14-2010, 12:55 PM
TECH Junkie

^ i hate you had to deal with people like that that backed out on ya and stuff. i know times are tuff and everything but hell they shouldve atleast told you something so you didnt have to go through all that BS
Old 10-14-2010, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GoFast908Z
You may want to step up to an aggressive claybar, but be prepared to do some paint correction afterwards to remove the marring from the aggressive clay.
Thanks for the advice. I will go ahead and try that. I just wasn't sure if there was something else I could try. I used to pay people to detail my car, but decided I wanted to go ahead and start doing it myself because i was never 100% satisfied with what I was getting for my money. I have a lot to learn!
Old 10-14-2010, 02:49 PM
9 Second Club

In that case, my wife has never seen San Francisco. We could rent a car to head into wine country while we left mine with you. This way I get to drive my car up and HWY 1 for the first time. Win, win, win, wine experience!
Old 10-14-2010, 03:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by transsam
In that case, my wife has never seen San Francisco. We could rent a car to head into wine country while we left mine with you. This way I get to drive my car up and HWY 1 for the first time. Win, win, win, wine experience!
That works. Ive had several customers from socal, the central valley, and out in the mountain (somewhere in between socal and valley) all bring cars up to me. Let me know when you wanna do it.
Old 10-14-2010, 08:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Thanks guys!

This trip was a learning experience. Had like 8 LS1tech members interested and then 5 bailed and 3 of them wouldn't even answer PMs or phonecalls after I spent a lot of time coordinating with them what day, what we would do for their car, etc... So IF I do another one, it will be with deposits and solid commitments. So if people commit, yes I will do another one.
This annoys me, I have had several people contact me about detailing from different sites. I spend time talking to them, they say they want to do it and then they just disappear. It is very frustrating, I am getting sick of detailing the same cars!
Old 10-14-2010, 09:17 PM
9 Second Club

If I pulled a stunt like that, I'd be way too ashamed to ever show up on here ever again. It must, at some level, be embarrassing to be like that. I'm sorry you guys have had it happen.

On the other hand, my wife loves the HWY 1 drive next summer idea, so I'll be in touch.

Last edited by transsam; 10-16-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 10-16-2010, 09:29 AM
TECH Regular

looks great!
Old 10-16-2010, 01:04 PM
12 Second Club

VERY NICE JOB!!!!..a few years ago i was looking at a white Ta in GA it was a 98-02 car.. white car, white leather interior, and white vertible top but no ram air and non stick.. and it looked as bad as your SS started out as if not worse..
Nice attention to detail sir
Old 10-16-2010, 01:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

awesome work as usual.
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Teching In

GoFast908Z,

Thanks for an awesome job on the SS (aka: The "Light Bulb") and C5. The SS is in the paint shop to repaint and 3M protective film clear cover the front end as we previously discussed.

Anyhow, I've been out of pocket w/lots of work on travel status.
BTW-STS-133 is still Go for Launch 1 Nov. I'll send you a PM w/all the details I've been working

Thanks guys!

Quick Reply: Socal detail trip pt. 3: The SPECIALIZED STAINLESS Camaro