Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Has anyone "revived" faded taillamps

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 02:04 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Has anyone "revived" faded taillamps

i know the firebird guys have the issue with moisture getting inside the taillamps and removing the chrome finish.

I'm sure the same happens with camaro guys as well...

my question is

Has anyone taken apart their units stripped the chrome and tried to apply some sort of reflective coating on the inside?

also...if you have a crappy firebird taillamp that you want to get rid of let me know. scratches cracks etc not an issue as long as there are no holes in the front plastic.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

same issue here, in for more info
Old 10-18-2011, 05:46 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's either for the T/A or the Camaro that you can't take the tail light apart like you can the headlights on the Camaro. I can't remember which one it was though so I guess this doesn't help much after all, lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

What year ta? I know the lt1's come apart in three peices
Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 PM
12 Second Club

i have 98+ taillamps. i looked and there seems to be some sort of adhesive/sealant between the two pieces on the taillamp.

i'll give this a shot, just need to find some taillamps.
Old 10-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 9WhiteCamaro9
It's either for the T/A or the Camaro that you can't take the tail light apart like you can the headlights on the Camaro. I can't remember which one it was though so I guess this doesn't help much after all, lol.
You can't take the Camaro tail lights apart. As well, the Camaro tail lights don't have the water seepage problem anywhere near as bad as the T/A tail lights. I've really only seen one set of Camaro tail lights do it to be honest
Old 10-18-2011, 09:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
You can't take the Camaro tail lights apart. As well, the Camaro tail lights don't have the water seepage problem anywhere near as bad as the T/A tail lights. I've really only seen one set of Camaro tail lights do it to be honest
Mine had a water seepage issue, but they were dented and cracked so thats probably why.

I just drilled holes in the bottom lol.
Old 10-18-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive got a pair of LT1 TA tails - passenger side is cracked, driver side is good, both have some delamination. Im on mobile so I cant see your location but I'll do $50 + shipping
Old 10-19-2011, 08:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rooster99ss
That's what I was thinking but wasn't 100% sure. I know mine has a crack at the top of my passenger side tail that gets water in there and did what HappySem said, I drilled about 4 holes in the bottom of the light just big enough to let water escape and to let some air in to dry them when there was water in there but not big enough to where it would cause a problem later on. Later on I'll get new ones but right now it's not that big of a problem for me since it's not blowing any bulbs.
Old 10-19-2011, 05:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm disappointed in you guys. Surely at least one of the people in this thread has seen one of these threads before and knows how to search using different keywords...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...taillight.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-l...ght-faded.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearanc...ight-help.html

Are you SURE you can't take the Camaro tail lights apart? Can't they be baked open just like Camaro headlights and Firebird tail lights? After all, they are two pieces of plastic glued together with a thermal bonding compound, just like the Camaro headlights and Firebird taillights.

P.S. the answer to OP's question is in the links above ^
Old 10-20-2011, 08:36 PM
12 Second Club

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3660/cimg1040ys0.jpg

thats what mine looks like right now...i want them lookin exactly the same.

is there anything like mirrachrome in a can version lol.

might try vht plate finish.

Last edited by birdmaro; 10-20-2011 at 08:42 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 PM
12 Second Club

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by birdmaro
thats what mine looks like right now...i want them lookin exactly the same.

is there anything like mirrachrome in a can version lol.

might try vht plate finish.
Not really. The only rattle can chrome paint is pure ****. There's some spray-chrome shops that do a VERY good job, but I don't know their pricing, and you'd probably have to send them the reflector already separated from the lens. Example: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krome...827452?sk=info

The painted-chrome cars are probably using Alsa Corp chrome paint or something similar, which is a painstaking process of painting, wetsanding, buffing, repeat, etc.
Old 10-21-2011, 08:46 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by ZexGX
Not really. The only rattle can chrome paint is pure ****. There's some spray-chrome shops that do a VERY good job, but I don't know their pricing, and you'd probably have to send them the reflector already separated from the lens. Example: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krome...827452?sk=info

The painted-chrome cars are probably using Alsa Corp chrome paint or something similar, which is a painstaking process of painting, wetsanding, buffing, repeat, etc.
alsa corp is the ****!

good thing is their chrome is ready to spray.

but i don't want to go through all that pain...

i'm going to give this suckermofukker a try:

VHT SPRAY PLATE FINISHES PLUS is a unique quick-dry formula that produces a plate like finish. When a high gloss metallic finish is desired, this product is the closest to a plate finish that is attainable in an aerosol can. Excellent for touch-up or refinishing sealed metal, plaster or wood.
VHT plate finishes are a blend of high gloss epoxy resins and finely ground metals that produce a brilliant finish. Rust inhibitors are added to act as a barrier against corrosion. This unique epoxy enamel is non-tarnishing and can be used interior or exterior.

Application: For best results on all surfaces, prime the substrate with white VHT SANDABLE PRIMER. This will seal the surfaces and accent the color of the finish coat. Sand the surfaces to remove all gloss, rust and dirt. Apply VHT SANDABLE WHITE PRIMER in light even coats sanding between coats with a lightweight sandpaper before applying the finish coat. Hold the can 12 to 16 inches from the surface being painted spraying in long even coats until a smooth even color is achieved. Allow 20 minutes between coats. Apply the final coat 8 to 10 inches from the surface following the wet pattern of the spray from top to bottom being careful not to run the final coat. Buff the painted surface with a gloss wax in about 15 days to enhance the luster of the finish.

Quick Reply: Has anyone "revived" faded taillamps