Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Wetsanding question

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 06:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Wetsanding question

I painted my quarter panels because both were scratched and dented. I did it myself with a spray gun and dupont paint. I wanted to learn how and it didnt cost me too too much. I did the body work, primed, 3 layers black, 3 layers clear. I also did some wetsanding, buffing and glazing.

I have an excellent color match and everything came out good. Only thing that kind of bothers me is the reflection whe nyou look at it. It isn't as clear as a mirror like my other panels. It looks a little blurred. Is there anyway to fix this?

Do i need to do more wetsanding, buffing and glazing?

Also, I have a few spots that have little tiny pin sized dimples that go down, they are hardly noticeable but I notice them. should I try to sand these out?
I am gonna attempt to do a little more final work when the weather gets better but, the only thing i am worried about is running out of clear coat to sand through. Is there any good way to know how much clear you have left?
Old 01-09-2006, 07:41 PM
Launching!

It sounds like you have to do some more wet sanding. The blurrieness and dimples that you are seeing are because the clear coat isn't smooth and flat, you need to sand them out to get the flat mirror like finish. Try using 2000 grit paper since you already did some wet sanding, use lite pressure and plenty of water. Take your time and check it often, after you've sanded on it for a minute or so stop and dry it off and check the sanded area, you should be able to see if there are any dimples left upon close inspection. When their gone, buff the area with fine cut compound, then buff with a good wax, then glaze. Should look like new, just take your time and be careful.
Old 01-09-2006, 08:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

also like to add, that when your wetsanding, puttin alittle bit of soap in there will act as a "lub" to keep it from gettin dry, it'll also clean it,...killin two birds with one stone, those little dimples are you talking about fish eye? if it is, thats down to the actual paint, needs to be cleaned out real good before applieing the clear on.

also the more time you spend polishin the better the outcome will be, maybe need alittle more time in that area.

2000 grit, really?? i've always used 600 grit and worked real fine with me, gonna have to try some 2000 grit later on and see how much i like it, lol wow big leap from 600 to 2000.
Old 01-09-2006, 10:58 PM
TECH Regular

the dimples you speak of sound more like solvent pop caused from improper flash times between coats. If this is the case which I suspect it is you will have to take it all the way back down to base coat if you want to fix them. As far as your clear being kind of blurry I would take some 2,000 grit and go over the panels once again. Take a spray bottle and fill it with some water and a few drops of ivory soap and this will act as a lubricant while wetsanding to avoid any deep scratches. Only reason why I would use 600 grit is If I was wanting to knock all the orange peel texture off and then spray a flow coat of clear on top. 600 grit is way too aggressive to try and buff out, although it is possible, it would just take a really long time. If you are using 600 to remove texture you would probably be better off just sanding it with 6-800 grit, respraying clear, and then wetsanding with around 1,500 or 2,000. Follow up your wetsand with a heavy cut polish, then medium, and then lastly a fine cut polish. Make sure you arent using a wax or any product with silicone in it like mentioned above. You need to wait at least 30 days, probably about 60 during the winter to ensure all solvents have been released and you arent trapping them under the wax.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

yeah i usually do the 600 then the heavy medium and fine polish on mines. takes more time i know but eeh it's for me i'm in no rush.

stryker always has good stuff brewin
Old 01-09-2006, 11:24 PM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would never buff after just 600!!? It is possible but if you want the polishing to be easy and the clear to look real nice finish up with 1,500... 2,000 would be best.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

hmm guess i'm the only one that likes to do it 600 then buffin the fkk out of it. really, yall dont like the outcome of 600? strange...my eyes cant be that bad?!
Old 01-09-2006, 11:33 PM
12 Second Club

If the clear has lots of orange peel, and looks rough, 600 would be ok to START out with I think.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:44 PM
TECH Resident

I normally use 1200 to get all the orange peel out, then 2000 and finally buff.
Old 01-09-2006, 11:54 PM
TECH Regular

eh, it is really all up to the user depending on how much they want to buff once finished with sanding, or if the clear coat wasnt all that bad to begin with sometimes all I need is 2,000. Just know that sycotic is THE "buff master" and he must like buffing much more than sanding.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:23 AM
Launching!

Woops, your right stryker, I forgot that this is fresh paint were talking about here, stick with the cutting compounds like stryker said and depending on where you live and what the climate is like I would wait till spring time to apply the wax, that will ensure plenty of time for the paint and clear to set properly.
Old 01-10-2006, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by stryker14
Just know that sycotic is THE "buff master" and he must like buffing much more than sanding.
i've been known to burn a few spots in the paint when i'm not payin attention buffin! oh yeah that's another thing lol keep moving when buffin!!! lol
Old 01-11-2006, 05:23 PM
11 Second Club

Well im lookin it over, i don't think i have fish eyes. I did a pretty good job painting and following the directions. I am pretty sure i didnt do enough wetsanding, i tried to go minimal because it was my first time and i was worried i would go too far.

One thing that i think makes a little difference is the idiots that i bought my paint from mixed the color wrong 1st and put speclkle in it. I laid 3 layers on the 1/4 panels and though maybe it was normal. Hard to tell when wet. But they didnt go away. So i had to paint over that and i think some of the speckle still shines a little.

When the weather gets warmer i plan to do a little more wetsanding with 1500 - 2000 since its already pretty smooth to the touch, and then use buffing compound with my buffer as well as glazing compound.

Quick Reply: Wetsanding question