Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Spoilerdepot.com close-up pics

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Spoilerdepot.com close-up pics

I know there are plenty of guys here (myself included) interested in the quality of Spoilerdepot.com's SS spoiler. I found a guy on another forum who got their spoiler and has some closeups of it.

He had a bit of trouble with it, seeing as his was damaged a bit during shipping and it got scratched on the back side of the spoiler. Plus, the big part that would **** me off, is that the middle two supports came nowhere near close to meeting up with the hatch, so he had to use some gaskets they gave him.

http://www.radford.edu/~rvandenhe/Pictures/06202006/

That's the link and the main spoiler closeups start on 476 I believe. Other good shots of it are 452-454, 457-460, and 462-464. I'm now trying to PM those with the spoiler to see if they had the same fitment on the two middle supports. If the center supports do that on all of them, I wouldn't buy it. But this guy is the first I've heard of with that problem, so I'm trying to decipher if the other minor parts that don't fit is worth saving the money on it. I think as long as the rest was decent, I'd purchase because it looks great otherwise.

Last edited by Scotty-Z; 06-23-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow that looks awful. And I was thinkin about buyin one from them.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i'd be pissed having to use those spacer things
Old 06-23-2006, 06:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Brian2006
Wow that looks awful. And I was thinkin about buyin one from them.
Yeah, but it's basically just the center supports that look like crap. All the others I've seen have lined up very well on the left and right sides. I guess we just need to determine if all the supports on them are like that.
Old 06-23-2006, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think we'd have to mecham-ise it alittle bit you know....and get rid of those god awful tail pipes! lol
Old 06-23-2006, 07:05 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eww, i wouldnt be able to take that, and the small brake light. yuk, for my money id rather pay for something that fits right, and has the oem parts.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:52 PM
TECH Resident

I don't like it because of the fact that it may be required to use the spacers and also how the CHISML fit and finish is very poor.
Old 06-23-2006, 09:03 PM
11 Second Club

Wow my spoilerdepot spoiler doesnt have the spacer issue. Even with the OEM spoiler you will need 3M foam backed tape on the posts. But I agree that is to much of a gap. If I saw thoose pictures before I bought mine I would not have bought it. I dont mind the smaller 3rd brake light. I am not trying to be a SS. And with the smaller brake light you know for sure it is not a SS.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyZ28Thunder
...I am not trying to be a SS. And with the smaller brake light you know for sure it is not a SS...
You could probably tell easier from the Z/28 badge that's it's not an SS.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
You could probably tell easier from the Z/28 badge that's it's not an SS.

Yup hence no SS hood and a spoiler that is not OEM SS....
Old 06-23-2006, 11:32 PM
TECH Addict

I guess I'll wait for some other feedback on the potential shape of this spoiler. Seems many of them have been different thus far. Maybe I'll just spend a bit more and buy from ASCD, since theirs is an exact replica made from a 98 SS.
Old 06-23-2006, 11:37 PM
12 Second Club

uhhhh WTF? just buy a real one. its worth the $
Old 06-23-2006, 11:39 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by kornfreak_401
uhhhh WTF? just buy a real one. its worth the $

Or dont and spend the saved money on perfomance mods...
Old 06-23-2006, 11:41 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for the pics, that gap would drive me nuts. ill prolly still end up ordering it from them though, mostly ive heard good reports and they have good prices as well. but i can tell you one thing, its not going through the mail painted and if i get it and have any fitment issues, that **** will be sent back so fast itll make their heads spin.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:06 AM
TECH Addict

I might order one unpainted too.

To tell you guys the truth, I just searched through some member's pages on here and some pictures I had of the ASCD SS spoiler, which is supposed to fit extremely well, seeing as it was molded off a 98 SS. Even on the ASCD spoilers, there is still quite a bit of the gaskets/padding under the center support. Also, the left side is barely off as well, just like the pics up there of the Spoilerdepot one.

Look at this pic:
http://www.01pewterz28.com/new470518.jpg (sorry for using a pic of your car, Sean!)

Or this pic below, where you can see the right side by the antenna where the flat part of the spoiler meets the line of the hatch. It doesn't fit completely perfect, and this is a spoiler that's KNOWN for fitting well.
http://www.01pewterz28.com/new470519.jpg

You can see that the left side is off a bit and there's still a decent amount of padding under the center supports. I found this to be the case with every picture of ASCD spoilers that I saw. And just so you know, I'm not picking apart his car or ASCD spoilers, just showing you that it's not uncommon at all. So I don't think it's out of the norm. Hell, I even looked at two of my buddies' SS's the other day. Both of their spoilers are off a bit on each side and the gaps don't fit completely perfect. Just goes to show you that even the OEMs aren't perfect. I'll probably order from Spoilerdepot unpainted and make sure it fits right. If so, I'll have that sucker painted up.
Old 06-24-2006, 12:15 AM
11 Second Club

I tried ASCD they have great customer service.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/ls1tech-sponsor-feedback/271000-aftermarket-spoiler-guestion.html
Old 06-24-2006, 01:01 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ChevyZ28Thunder
I tried ASCD they have great customer service.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=271000
But I see you ultimately ended up going with SpoilerDepot. Any closeup shots of your spoiler like the ones pictured in the first post of this thread? I'd be interested to see how yours fits.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

man thanks for doing all this research! the bottom supports wouldnt look too bad as long as you painted them the same color then youd barely notice them, but man that part where the back doesnt line up sucks bad! anyone know how much it runs to paint a spoiler?
Old 06-26-2006, 10:26 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The gap on the two posts is hideous and unacceptable IMO. The rest of the fitment actually doesn't look too bad to me....and the paint matches pretty well. It appears that his hatch doesn't line up with the rest of the body, causing the spoiler to look like it doesn't fit as well as it should. Look at pic #54....at the body line above the left tail light. The hatch isn't down as far as it should be....doesn't match the bodyline of the fender. That makes it look like the spoiler sticks up too high on that side when the whole hatch is actually sitting too high. The entire hatch is also sitting too far to the passenger side....look at the same pic (#54)...you can clearly see his hatch isn't lined up properly as the gap on the driver's side is way bigger than the passenger side. If that gap on the spoiler posts is an isolated incident and not the norm, I'd buy a painted one for sure.

Last edited by jmm98LS1; 06-26-2006 at 11:49 AM.
Old 06-26-2006, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by jmm98LS1
The gap on the two posts is hideous and unacceptable IMO. The rest of the fitment actually doesn't look too bad to me....and the paint matches pretty well. It appears that his hatch doesn't like up with the rest of the body, causing the spoiler to look like it doesn't fit as well as it should. Look at pic #54....at the body line above the left tail light. The hatch isn't down as far as it should be....doesn't match the bodyline of the fender. That makes it look like the spoiler sticks up too high on that side when the whole hatch is actually sitting too high. The entire hatch is also sitting too far to the passenger side....look at the same pic (#54)...you can clearly see his hatch isn't lined up properly as the gap on the driver's side is way bigger than the passenger side. If that gap on the spoiler posts is an isolated incident and not the norm, I'd buy a painted one for sure.
Agreed.

I noticed those things when trying to figure out why one side was higher than the other. The center supports in the middle are unacceptable, as you said, and I'd have sent it back. But he's the first one out of everyone with them that I've seen that has that problem. I will likely be ordering one from them here soon.

Quick Reply: Spoilerdepot.com close-up pics