Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Buffer? Burning the Paint?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2008, 08:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Buffer? Burning the Paint?

Ok I have a little question for you guys:

I was looking the other day and saw you can get a "buffer" for like 22 bucks at Wal-Mart. They aren't anything special... Want I want to know though is can I "burn" the paint if I use the microfiber bonnet? All I would want to use it for is after I apply wax by hand then I would use it to take off the main amount of wax with the buffer. After that I would go a back over with another microfiber rag by hand to get all the wax buffed in... I was thinking that it could save me a little bit of manual labor when waxing the car. Just curious...

Thanks
AR
Old 03-07-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if it's not random orbit, you run the risk of burning the paint if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 03-08-2008, 01:33 AM
TECH Resident

^^Heres the thing I have no idea what that means. ^^
Old 03-08-2008, 01:43 AM
Sawzall and Welder Mod

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's intended for applying wax it's probably a random orbit. The rotary compounding buffers are the ones that can do damage without experience.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:12 AM
Teching In

Question What buffer/Polisher is it?

Post a pic of the buffer if you can? If it were me I would use it to apply the wax, and don't spend to much time in one spot. I use about a 1 to 2 foot back and forth motion within a 2 to 4 foot area. (hopefully that makes sence?) Then go back with the hand wipe off if you are worried about burning the paint. If you have an older car or a friend that doesn't care about their paint job on thier car- practice on thiers. If someone has an oxidized car then it will help you to be able to see the progress you make. Also don't buff any wax on the black plastic peices of the car! It will turn them caulky white.... Hope this helps you out and agian this is just my opinion due to I am sure there are better technics out there.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:23 AM
TECH Addict

^^^ Agreed with the statements above. rotary buffers can really do some damage. when i was first learning i burned a few things from having crappy backing plates and starting with 2 high of a speed.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:35 AM
TECH Resident

walmart sells both types of buffer's....or did way back when, even the rotory buffer they sold was kinda weak in terms of a proffesional type, tho it could burn the paint if it were not factory and kinda thin from heavy buffing already. chance's are you wouldnt burn it unless you tried.lol most are variable speed, start at the slowest speed and work you way up to achieve the results you want. keep it moving, keep it relatively flat, and keep it off sharp corners you will be fine. the rotary buffer simply means it goes in a fixed circle like a grinder, orbital buffer oscolates in random circles in kinda vibrating like way, like a orbital sander does(DA) hope that helps and be very sure to keep it extreemly clean, a spect of sand in a buffer wheel and damn u just put a million scratch's in you paint in a hurry.lol
Old 03-08-2008, 09:57 AM
TECH Resident

This is like the one from Wal-Mart. Its not identical I don't think but its what I would want. Let me know what you guys think. I don't think I would have to worry if I didn't run the wax dry and just took off the main amount of wax on the car.
Old 03-08-2008, 10:42 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

AR:

Based upon your posted picture, if you're looking only to apply or remove a non-abrasive product such as a liquid or paste carnauba wax, this machine will be able to do that.

You won't be able to burn the paint by using a microfiber bonnet.

However, if the machine does not have a variable speed feature similar to a Porter Cable or UDM buffer, you will not be able to remove any blemishes or a range of mild-moderate scratches from the surface.

Usually carnauba waxes can be removed as soon as their applied even before drying on the surface.
Old 03-08-2008, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

walmart only sells random orbit buffers
Old 03-08-2008, 11:17 AM
TECH Resident

Thanks Steve,

I figured I would be ok but just wanted to be sure before I started attacking the car.

Thanks
Old 03-08-2008, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99zman
walmart only sells random orbit buffers
well shoot then, i might pick one up; i've seen them there before and they're really well priced... i don't have the $100+ to shell out for a porter cable, although that would be what I would ever want as far as a random orbit buffer..
Old 03-08-2008, 01:50 PM
Teching In

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=buffer

This is the buffer I own. For $40 bucks you get everything you need (minus wax) and a handy bucket to store it in. I have been using it for 5 years now and not one prob. My 2 cents....
Old 03-08-2008, 01:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BoomersWS6
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...keyword=buffer

This is the buffer I own. For $40 bucks you get everything you need (minus wax) and a handy bucket to store it in. I have been using it for 5 years now and not one prob. My 2 cents....
I have the 6in one from sears and a 10in one from wally world, the 6inch from sears is awsome and i have more control of it. id get another one in a min, i also have a Makita high speed buffer when needed.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:13 PM

You will not burn the paint with that. The high speed buffers are what can burn the paint. If all you want it for is to take of the wax, that will work fine. I would buy a porter cable off ebay for ~$60 and be able to do more when you want to.
Old 03-09-2008, 12:35 AM
TECH Addict

yeah like stated high speed buffers will do the damage to paint if you dont know what your doing. i have one of those things i dont use anymore and i never burned a thing.
Old 03-09-2008, 01:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

if its like a grinder style, only moves in stricty circles then yes you can burn the paint if u hold in one spot for a while with a combo of a heavy cut polish and a cutting pad. But with just a swirl free polish and and polishing pad i wouldnt worry about it, just keep the pad flat or youre gonna get swirls once the wax washes off. But as for Wal Mart, i think they only have random orbit, which goes in cirlcles but also up and down, kinda just vibrates instead of spinning, with that youll have no trouble my friend
Old 03-09-2008, 01:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

hand wax always turns out nice

Quick Reply: Buffer? Burning the Paint?