Old 03-21-2011, 08:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

thanks looking forward to hearing about it
Old 03-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-P
So do you think you should have went with a 4k stall?
Dude, the guy just went from stock to 3600 and barely has it broken in, and you're asking him if he thinks he should have gone bigger? For what? He hasn't even had it to the track yet. Give him some time to max out this converter combination and see what it will do.

I DD'd my TCI 3000 for three years before "going bigger" to the SS3600, which I've had for a couple of years now. I'll NEVER go bigger than this as long as the car remains a daily driver. The Yank SS3600 is a PERFECT street/strip converter.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by RevGTO
Dude, the guy just went from stock to 3600 and barely has it broken in, and you're asking him if he thinks he should have gone bigger? For what? He hasn't even had it to the track yet. Give him some time to max out this converter combination and see what it will do.

I DD'd my TCI 3000 for three years before "going bigger" to the SS3600, which I've had for a couple of years now. I'll NEVER go bigger than this as long as the car remains a daily driver. The Yank SS3600 is a PERFECT street/strip converter.
LOL! I missed that from jayp. Yes you are right on. Its to early to know. But ill tell you driving around town idk if I would want the rpms up to much more cause its just on the edge of making me think I might get pulled over if I dont baby it past a cop. April 1st opening day

And thats why I decided to go with this stall. Yank said it would be the best all around converter for street/strip but would still give me room if I wanted a cam for future. I love it. Just wish I could drive it tonight but its raining.
Old 03-21-2011, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the great post! I read this whole thread with great interest, as this is somehting I think I want to do to mine. I especially liked your driving impressions, and I look forward to hearing more as you live with it a little longer.

And I'm looking forward to the track times too! Who know, maybe I'll see them in person...I'm looking forward to getting up to NED myself. Just gotta that that waterpump done soon!
Old 03-21-2011, 10:17 PM
10 Second Club

Hey thanks man glad I could help. Ill see what I can do for some vids but I would need a camera. Ill report back with track time of course though.
Your right in RI are you going to ned opening day? I will be there if I have a tune (which I should) and if its not raining!
Old 03-22-2011, 07:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He was worried about it being too much for daily driving initially when he was asking about stalls, he has done some daily driving... so i assumed he would know if this was enough for him, guess i should have specified what i was wondering in the post i made. No need to jump down my throat...
Old 03-22-2011, 08:21 AM
10 Second Club

He was worried about it being too much for daily driving initially when he was asking about stalls, he has done some daily driving... so i assumed he would know if this was enough for him, guess i should have specified what i was wondering in the post i made. No need to jump down my throat...
Its been great. Its not to much at all. I think its perfect for now. If a 4k stall is only a a few hundred rpm more arounf town then yes I bet I could do it but right now with the exhaust being so much louder and gas prices the way they are then I think this is perfect. We will see
Old 03-22-2011, 08:50 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Its been great. Its not to much at all. I think its perfect for now. If a 4k stall is only a a few hundred rpm more arounf town then yes I bet I could do it but right now with the exhaust being so much louder and gas prices the way they are then I think this is perfect. We will see
Awesome im glad it worked out for you, i was following your threads with the same questions as you had.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:29 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Niiiiiiiice! Can't believe I just saw this. I've had my SS4k sitting on my coffee table for the past couple weeks. Missed the first race of the season so I haven't really got the motivation to get out there and put it in. I'm going to have to do it now, there's been some great write ups but this none with pics like this.
Old 03-22-2011, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

BTW, who did you get the flexplate from?
Old 03-22-2011, 01:53 PM
10 Second Club

Awesome im glad it worked out for you, i was following your threads with the same questions as you had.
I just drove it about 100 miles mix highway/city. You can get the car moving decent at 2k and under but if your talking about keeping up with the mad rush hour phycos then maybe 2000-2500rpm. Its not bad at all and I can see going bigger. I did want the pt4000 but was afraid of it cause its looser than the ss4k from what Iv been told. Im happy with this ss3600

Originally Posted by Golf&GM
Niiiiiiiice! Can't believe I just saw this. I've had my SS4k sitting on my coffee table for the past couple weeks. Missed the first race of the season so I haven't really got the motivation to get out there and put it in. I'm going to have to do it now, there's been some great write ups but this none with pics like this.
Thanks! I figured I would do it seeing it was my first time dropping a tranny.
I got the flexplate from gm and I over paid for it but had it in one day. Its not sfi rated but it was recomended by yank. Its used in the trailblazer and a big upgrade from the one I had. Yank says theres trailblazers running 500-600hp with them.
Old 03-22-2011, 09:49 PM
10 Second Club

A couple guys pmed me about the cooler im running behind the ssra. Heres what it looks like...

Just be careful when you slide the duct down in front of the condensor. I bent a few of the fins but its all good.

Nice fit right?

If anyone is going to run the cooler like this its very important that you cut the hood latch screw. It is just like a sheet metal zip screw with a very pointy tip and it could poke one of the coils.

I tried cutting some off but it was still to long.

Look how far it still sticks out.

I took more off and its all better now.

Finished.

Old 03-22-2011, 10:10 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

A couple guys pmed me about the cooler im running behind the ssra. Heres what it looks like... Finished.
Very clean install, but what worries me about that setup is that the cooler is butted up against a hot condenser, and direct airflow to it is blocked by the SSRA ducting.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:27 PM
10 Second Club

Very clean install, but what worries me about that setup is that the cooler is butted up against a hot condenser, and direct airflow to it is blocked by the SSRA ducting.
I know what you mean but this is my best option right now. You cant really see it but the ssra angles away from the condensor. Sure its in front but there is a decent gap. Its either this way or I get a cooler with a fan and mount it somewhere (which I still could do) I tried alot of different setups with the stock stall. Dope style wasnt all that. I even took out my ssra last year so I could fit the 14400 b&m on the condensor. It worked great there but without the ssra it put me back in the 13s. So I put the cooler dope style, ssra back in, and next time at the track did a 12.6 stock stall. The ssra isnt coming back out
Old 03-22-2011, 11:53 PM
Restricted User

Good write up. stalls are so much fun
Old 03-23-2011, 09:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Good write up. stalls are so much fun
Thanks! Yes they are fun! I had my buddie in the car last night and I was driving like a turtle to get on the highway. This punk flies up on my *** (like 2' from my bumper) in a brand new mercedes. We could tell he wanted some. IDK what it was but they usualy pack some power. I told my buddie to watch how fast he disapears lol. As soon as I was lined up on the straight away I was at about 30mph and dropped the hammer down. I spun like crazy but there had to AT LEAST been a 15-20 car gap. Then on the straight away he was catching up cause I was slowing down. When he was about 5 cars behind I pinned the pedal and smoked him again lol and thats with and extra 200lbs in the car. Then I slowed down to speed limit and let him do his corny *** ricer fly by lol. I wonder how he liked his brand new mercedes getting smoked like that
Old 03-23-2011, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Awesome write up, glad to hear you're so happy with the stall. I've got the same converter going in next week and can't wait. I'm hoping to get up to NED but it won't be for a few weeks
Old 03-23-2011, 09:28 PM
Restricted User

Thanks! Yes they are fun! I had my buddie in the car last night and I was driving like a turtle to get on the highway. This punk flies up on my *** (like 2' from my bumper) in a brand new mercedes. We could tell he wanted some. IDK what it was but they usualy pack some power. I told my buddie to watch how fast he disapears lol. As soon as I was lined up on the straight away I was at about 30mph and dropped the hammer down. I spun like crazy but there had to AT LEAST been a 15-20 car gap. Then on the straight away he was catching up cause I was slowing down. When he was about 5 cars behind I pinned the pedal and smoked him again lol and thats with and extra 200lbs in the car. Then I slowed down to speed limit and let him do his corny *** ricer fly by lol. I wonder how he liked his brand new mercedes getting smoked like that
Ha thats funny reminds me just about a week ago I was in a town a few hours from where I live and I sas getn gas and there was an older guy in a suit in an 08 gt500. He seen me lookin at it and came over to me and started telling me about his life lol. He was a 65 year old lawer with his gt500, a 01 cobra and another car I can't remember. He told me that the blower on the gt500 had been ported and when I went to walk away he asked me if I wanted to runem real quick lol. I said sure and as we pulled off on to the 2 lane highway we both punched it from about a 20 roll and I just started pulling so hard he couldn't catch up on the top end. As I turned off on my way home he gave me a thumbs up. It is alot of fun beating up on those $50,000 cars lol.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 95killerz
Awesome write up, glad to hear you're so happy with the stall. I've got the same converter going in next week and can't wait. I'm hoping to get up to NED but it won't be for a few weeks
If you have never driven one your gonna love it. Slowhawk will be tuning it on sat.
Ill be up at ned either the 1st or the 6th. Better not get rained out iv had it with this weather.
Old 03-23-2011, 09:43 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Ha thats funny reminds me just about a week ago I was in a town a few hours from where I live and I sas getn gas and there was an older guy in a suit in an 08 gt500. He seen me lookin at it and came over to me and started telling me about his life lol. He was a 65 year old lawer with his gt500, a 01 cobra and another car I can't remember. He told me that the blower on the gt500 had been ported and when I went to walk away he asked me if I wanted to runem real quick lol. I said sure and as we pulled off on to the 2 lane highway we both punched it from about a 20 roll and I just started pulling so hard he couldn't catch up on the top end. As I turned off on my way home he gave me a thumbs up. It is alot of fun beating up on those $50,000 cars lol.
Damn straight dude. Is your faster at 65mph+ Mine sure as hell is. After some guys sayin that the higher stall is gonna make it worse on the highway I thouhjt it would. But nope its not and its not even tuned yet.

Quick Reply: My SS3600 install thread