Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SS3600 install thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2011, 06:58 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've done some reading and searching, but why do you prefer the pt4000 over the ss4000?
Old 03-26-2011, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay-P
I've done some reading and searching, but why do you prefer the pt4000 over the ss4000?
Because I wanted a stall that would be the best for higher speed roll racing as well as give a decent 60'. The pt is suposed to be more efficient up top and do more work through the whole 1/4 mile.
Old 03-26-2011, 08:54 PM
TECH Regular

So if im understanding this correctly.. The SS has a higher str which gives it the potential to 60' better then the PT. The PT pulls better through the top end, but with a lower str, has the potential to not 60' quite as good as the SS.

Sound about right? I have yet to see a definitive answer to the SS vs PT question.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Jay-P
So if im understanding this correctly.. The SS has a higher str which gives it the potential to 60' better then the PT. The PT pulls better through the top end, but with a lower str, has the potential to not 60' quite as good as the SS.

Sound about right? I have yet to see a definitive answer to the SS vs PT question.
Technically yes that is right. But it does seem that the two are pretty close in performance but the pt is suposed to be the bigger performer. Take a look at how many pt series are on the 50 Quickest Stock Motor'd Bolt-on LS1 cars...https://ls1tech.com/forums/11712565-post1.html
Old 03-26-2011, 09:08 PM
TECH Regular

Ya saw that, seems like the pt is the converter of choice, but ive never seen an explaination as to why.
Old 04-09-2011, 07:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Just got the car tuned today by Slowhawkperformance and the car runs sweet! Anyone thinking about bringing their car to his shop shouldnt even hesitate. Anytime I need another tune its a lock. Next step is seeing what it does on the strip.
Just some info on anyone considering a stall...DO NOT get anything less then a 3600. Iv put close to 1000 miles on this one and I have been brainwashed by the "drives just like stock" way of thinking. This thing is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being a big deal to drive AT ALL. In a few weeks I maybe just punching myself in the face that I didnt go bigger. But for now, ill be enjoying this one Also as far as mpg go it looks like so far that OVERALL I gained mpg. Maybe its not as good city driving but it looks like I more than made up for any loss on the highway. Ill have better info in a few more weeks
Great update!! You're really making me want one of these things.

I find it interesting that you feel you gained mpg...I always thought it stayed the same on the hwy due to the lockup, but went down in the city, bringing the overall mpg down. Hmmm, just one more reason for me to get one!

What rpm do you have it set to lock up at? And did you have Don remove TM and increase line pressure and all that?

And I'm really looking forward to seeing your track times with it!
Old 04-09-2011, 08:42 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Great update!! You're really making me want one of these things.

I find it interesting that you feel you gained mpg...I always thought it stayed the same on the hwy due to the lockup, but went down in the city, bringing the overall mpg down. Hmmm, just one more reason for me to get one!

What rpm do you have it set to lock up at? And did you have Don remove TM and increase line pressure and all that?

And I'm really looking forward to seeing your track times with it!
If you have an auto and dont have a stall then it should be a priority
Couple weeks later it looks like its close to same mpg but I still think I gained just a little on the highway. When I was breaking it in I was doing alot of highway and thats why the overal mph went up. Right now with my normal mixed driving and alot more wot, city driving, ect... I get maybe 1mpg less overall. So it really depends on if your highway driving or city.
Im gonna have to check with Don to make sure about the TM but I think its left as stock or close to save the tranny. As far as line pressure goes he had to fix the tune from the last guy because he cranked the pressure sky high. So I think he put them back stock but I have to ask him.
I went to NED last wed but track was horrible. I tried 2 times and car just spun at the line. Car didnt even move. So I drove home lol
Old 04-10-2011, 02:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh that's lowsy about the track. You must have been pissed...it's such a long drive!!

I've only been a few times with my current car, but I've been trying to go on Sat, and get there around 8:30 or so, so I can get as many runs in as I can before it starts getting too hot.

You're going to have some great times when you can get it to hook though..your stock stall times are great considering the mods you have. I knew a guy with the same setup as you who was running 13.1's, and finally got a best of 12.9.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

You need tires.......good ones.
Old 04-10-2011, 02:23 PM
Restricted User

Couple weeks later it looks like its close to same mpg but I still think I gained just a little on the highway. When I was breaking it in I was doing alot of highway and thats why the overal mph went up. Right now with my normal mixed driving and alot more wot, city driving, ect... I get maybe 1mpg less overall. So it really depends on if your highway driving or city.
Im gonna have to check with Don to make sure about the TM but I think its left as stock or close to save the tranny. As far as line pressure goes he had to fix the tune from the last guy because he cranked the pressure sky high. So I think he put them back stock but I have to ask him.
I went to NED last wed but track was horrible. I tried 2 times and car just spun at the line. Car didnt even move. So I drove home lol
What tires do you have?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:01 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
Oh that's lowsy about the track. You must have been pissed...it's such a long drive!!

I've only been a few times with my current car, but I've been trying to go on Sat, and get there around 8:30 or so, so I can get as many runs in as I can before it starts getting too hot.

You're going to have some great times when you can get it to hook though..your stock stall times are great considering the mods you have. I knew a guy with the same setup as you who was running 13.1's, and finally got a best of 12.9.
You go on sat?! Maybe I should give sat a try. Street nights are really bad sometimes.
Dude, they failed my inspection cause I had a little rip in my pants so I had to go to walmart to buy some, then they passed me. It was the same guy that failed me on somewhat bald rear tires last year! I let him know about it haha. But it was all for nothin anyway cause track sucked.
DA has ALOT to do with the times. In like 2500 da car did 13.1 and -1000 da it did the 12.6 same mods.
Old 04-10-2011, 03:04 PM
10 Second Club

Im using same tires as last year. 275 40 17 hoosier drag radials. The tires are kick *** and better than the mts I was using. Tires were not the problem It was the track. They just redid the track this year and theres no rubber down. It also dose not help when the ricers drive right through the water box and **** the track up for the rest of the night!
Old 04-10-2011, 03:05 PM
Restricted User

Sounds like a shitty track. Thos tires should hook on the street decent. What did you end up running?
Old 04-10-2011, 03:16 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by z99ls1
Sounds like a shitty track. Thos tires should hook on the street decent. What did you end up running?
hahaha what did it run?! I got to the line and spun the tires on green. Car didnt move an inch on 2 tries lol I didnt even bother going down the track so I drove home.
The tires hook great on the street but I dont normally run them on the street. Right now im just using the yokahoma s drives for street. I change them before the track.
Old 04-10-2011, 06:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

You go on sat?! Maybe I should give sat a try. Street nights are really bad sometimes.
Dude, they failed my inspection cause I had a little rip in my pants so I had to go to walmart to buy some, then they passed me. It was the same guy that failed me on somewhat bald rear tires last year! I let him know about it haha. But it was all for nothin anyway cause track sucked.
DA has ALOT to do with the times. In like 2500 da car did 13.1 and -1000 da it did the 12.6 same mods.
Yeah, I used to go on Wed street nights, I'd get out of work early and go. If you get there right as tech is starting you can get alot of runs in...one time I went I did three runs back to back. But then it gets so crowded you wait forever between runs.

I started going Sat when I got involved with NE F-Body...they do thier track day meets on sat. It gets busy as the day wears on, but in the morning you can usually get plenty of runs in. I usually get in 5 or 6 before getting bored with it. I run under the test & tune. Plus there's some seriously fast cars that show up on sat, it's fun to watch. Usually after noon I just park mine and watch the big dogs run for a while. They also do jr. dragsters and bikes.

I lucked out on tech a few times. My tires had some dry rot, I thought I was going to fail, but they didn't notice. Then years ago I took my GTA there, I didn't realize the batt hold down was busted, but the guy let me through anyway.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:02 PM
On The Tree

Hey I will be in the same boat as you putting in a stall (3500). What did you do with line pressure? Also did you leave TM in and just turn it down some? Any codes pop up after the install? How are your shifts with your settings above slow, crisp? Sorry for the questions just trying to get a idea of whats coming in a few weeks.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:35 PM
10 Second Club

Slowhawk did my tune. IDK exactly what went in the tune because im not a tuner but line pressure is probly above stock but not alot. Last tuner jacked up the line pressure so much it wasnt good for the trans. A % of TM was most likely deleted but not all the way. I think you really need to keep some to help trans stay safer. Shifts with a higher stall are different than a stock stall. The shifts are not as hard but they feel more like a leveled out smoother feel. Only code that I got was for the vss which was taken care of in the tune. Car runs great man. Just cant wait to get a feel for it on the track.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:05 PM

I just read through your whole thread. Good job on the detail and pics of the install.
Sucks you haven't gotten a good time yet at the track. Post back once you get a good pass in so we all can see your results from the stock tc.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:37 PM
10 Second Club

Thanks and will do. The time from stock stall wouldnt be the best to go by unless I get the same DA which was -1000' If I got a good night like that then I would guess 12.1-12.2. The weather is warming up now so it probly wont be as good. I wanted to go tonight it was perfect at NED but I have family stuff lol
Old 04-22-2011, 11:22 PM
10 Second Club

Heres the results...https://ls1tech.com/forums/12-second...my-ss3600.html

Quick Reply: My SS3600 install thread