Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My SS3600 install thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 06:13 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Freaking sweet! I am so glad you made this thread!!! I have my SS3600 sitting at home waiting for me to get home from Iraq to go into my Trans Am along with the other Plethora of go fast goodies.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:01 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by senicalj4579
Damn straight dude. Is your faster at 65mph+ Mine sure as hell is. After some guys sayin that the higher stall is gonna make it worse on the highway I thouhjt it would. But nope its not and its not even tuned yet.
I gained 2 mph in the 1/4 so it def is faster up top to
Old 03-24-2011, 01:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always wondered why people said it would be slower from roll. I get that it's not putting as much to the ground as a stock stall, but there's no waiting for it to get into the powerband. You punch it and it goes. I hate rolling on the throttle from about 40 with the stock stall and it just stays in third. Feels like you're waiting weeks for it pickup steam.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

ss3600 is suposed to be 96% efficient so on a 300hp motor its loss is 12hp. Take into consideration how much higher the shift extentions are and it should cover it, and then some. Wish I knew what the stock shift data was then maybe we could figure out what the power differences would be. ss3600 extention is about 4900 or so. My last dyno sheet says im making about 320rwhp at around 4900rpm and im just about maxing out my torque at 342rwt. So I wonder what the stock shift would be compaired.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:32 PM
Staging Lane

This thread is definately "Sticky" worthy! Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your experience.
I want a stall so bad but I'm hesitant because I think my tranny is on it's way out. I don't want to go through all that, just to have the tranny go within a few months.

When I do decide to swap out the stock TC, this write up will be my guide!
Thanks again man.

Scott
Old 03-24-2011, 04:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by HowdyZ_28
This thread is definately "Sticky" worthy! Thanks for taking the time to chronicle your experience.
I want a stall so bad but I'm hesitant because I think my tranny is on it's way out. I don't want to go through all that, just to have the tranny go within a few months.

When I do decide to swap out the stock TC, this write up will be my guide!
Thanks again man.

Scott
Glad I could help Scott or anyone for that matter. If your sure the trans is gonna go I would probly just save up for a nice one from one of the sponsors with the stall you want in it. I can tell you after dropping the trans and knowing how its done now, I wouldnt hesitate to have a brand new one shipped to my door so I can do the work myself

Joe
Old 03-24-2011, 05:55 PM
11 Second Club

Great write-up, lets sticky this !!!!

Saved as a favorite and all pics saved to my computer just in case.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey thanks man glad I could help. Ill see what I can do for some vids but I would need a camera. Ill report back with track time of course though.
Your right in RI are you going to ned opening day? I will be there if I have a tune (which I should) and if its not raining!
I'm going to try to make opening day. My water pump is shot, so I have to fix that first. It looks like a pretty easy job, I just need the time/decent weather to do it. Was hoping to get it done this week, but the weather was a wash.

Great pics of the cooler install too, that's another thing that I'll end up refferencing later on.

And you weren't messing around when you sealed your airbox!!

Maybe I need to do mine that way. With my FTRA, thre was less than .1 difference with it functioning vs. running with the block off plate installed and stock inlet opened up.

Do you ever hang out with the NE F-Body crew? Seems like most of them are north of Boston, but there's some RI guys and a few people from CT too.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:27 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1998flamedCamaro
Great write-up, lets sticky this !!!!

Saved as a favorite and all pics saved to my computer just in case.
Glad I could help ya out

Originally Posted by StuntmanMike
I'm going to try to make opening day. My water pump is shot, so I have to fix that first. It looks like a pretty easy job, I just need the time/decent weather to do it. Was hoping to get it done this week, but the weather was a wash.

Great pics of the cooler install too, that's another thing that I'll end up refferencing later on.

And you weren't messing around when you sealed your airbox!!

Maybe I need to do mine that way. With my FTRA, thre was less than .1 difference with it functioning vs. running with the block off plate installed and stock inlet opened up.

Do you ever hang out with the NE F-Body crew? Seems like most of them are north of Boston, but there's some RI guys and a few people from CT too.

I dont really know anybody from the NE crew. Im a member over at that board though too. Maybe ill see ya up there. Im actually getting my first tune from slowhawk on sat.
Yes it has to be sealed really well. I even hvac taped around the joint and around the hood latch last year. Ill have to do that again before I go to the track again. IDK if you saw this or not but heres my results from the ssra...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...oof-works.html
Old 03-24-2011, 09:37 PM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

I have thought a lot about getting an SSRA but with the type of tranny cooler I'm using, it wouldn't fit. As I have a Firebird, I cut through the hood brace to provide a direct shot of cold air to the filter through the inlets below the front of the hood.
Attached Thumbnails My SS3600 install thread-tranny-cooler.jpg   My SS3600 install thread-thehoodlg.jpg  
Old 03-25-2011, 08:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i got my fti 3400 installed last night and wow this thing rips... flashes a little past 3400... looked to me like 3500-3600... and shift extensions were 5200ish rpm. we will just say that the tires will never stand a chance
Old 03-25-2011, 08:57 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I have thought a lot about getting an SSRA but with the type of tranny cooler I'm using, it wouldn't fit. As I have a Firebird, I cut through the hood brace to provide a direct shot of cold air to the filter through the inlets below the front of the hood.
Well I must not be seeing something because from what im looking at, a ssra will fit in there with that cooler better than mine does. I dont understand why you say it wouldnt fit

Originally Posted by Black99TransAm
i got my fti 3400 installed last night and wow this thing rips... flashes a little past 3400... looked to me like 3500-3600... and shift extensions were 5200ish rpm. we will just say that the tires will never stand a chance
Fun isnt it? I love it!
Usually yanks stall speeds are closer to the advertised stall speed thats why your 3400 is more like a 3600 Ihear ya on the tires I need some different one for the street but I do have the hoosiers for the track
Old 03-25-2011, 10:14 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 206 Likes on 173 Posts

Well I must not be seeing something because from what im looking at, a ssra will fit in there with that cooler better than mine does. I dont understand why you say it wouldnt fit
I never actually purchased a unit and tried to fit in there; it just looked to me like there clearly wouldn't be enough room for it. Perhaps I jumped to my conclusion way too quickly.

I haven't seen any demonstrable gains at the track with my homemade CAI, so I don't think it works as well as an SSRA. I have logged consistently lower IAT's with it than my buddies WS6 with intact baffles, however.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:24 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by RevGTO
I never actually purchased a unit and tried to fit in there; it just looked to me like there clearly wouldn't be enough room for it. Perhaps I jumped to my conclusion way too quickly.

I haven't seen any demonstrable gains at the track with my homemade CAI, so I don't think it works as well as an SSRA. I have logged consistently lower IAT's with it than my buddies WS6 with intact baffles, however.
Its def an improvment for your hood over stock for sure. I can tell you that with ssra it takes no time at all for the iat to drop to what the outside air is. After you run the car in warm weather, shut the car off, and let it sit sure it will heat soak (but not even close to a metal cai kit) but as soon as you give it some throttle it drops. You would without a doubt gain by going to an actual duct that goes to bottom of the car (cai kit) and the ssra angles away from the condensor, gives you more room than ftra. Ill see if I can find more pics for you. Your cooler fits the same as mine behind the hood latch.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:30 AM
10 Second Club

Actually it looks like all the pics I have for it are in this thread. But it should show that it will work with your cooler.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:43 PM
10 Second Club

Fun isnt it? I love it!
Usually yanks stall speeds are closer to the advertised stall speed thats why your 3400 is more like a 3600 Ihear ya on the tires I need some different one for the street but I do have the hoosiers for the track
IDK about that. My SS4000 flashes over 4400, and I have plenty of HPT logs to back that up. I think it's gonna flash to over 5000 on spray.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:51 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dirty Vegas
IDK about that. My SS4000 flashes over 4400, and I have plenty of HPT logs to back that up. I think it's gonna flash to over 5000 on spray.
How much are you sprayin?
Old 03-25-2011, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

I'm going to start with 150, out of an NOS plate, being controlled by an FJO. Hoping that progressing it in will help the trans live.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thats a pretty big converter for running nitrous on... have u sprayed it at all yet... I was told my 3400 will be ideal for the bottle...
Old 03-26-2011, 06:47 PM
10 Second Club

Just got the car tuned today by Slowhawkperformance and the car runs sweet! Anyone thinking about bringing their car to his shop shouldnt even hesitate. Anytime I need another tune its a lock. Next step is seeing what it does on the strip.
Just some info on anyone considering a stall...DO NOT get anything less then a 3600. Iv put close to 1000 miles on this one and I have been brainwashed by the "drives just like stock" way of thinking. This thing is NOT EVEN CLOSE to being a big deal to drive AT ALL. In a few weeks I maybe just punching myself in the face that I didnt go bigger. But for now, ill be enjoying this one Also as far as mpg go it looks like so far that OVERALL I gained mpg. Maybe its not as good city driving but it looks like I more than made up for any loss on the highway. Ill have better info in a few more weeks

Quick Reply: My SS3600 install thread