Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My Vig3600 isnt what i though it would be.....

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2003 | 11:36 PM
TECH Resident

Default My Vig3600 isnt what i though it would be.....

Ok when it comes to performance...i know alot about bolt-ons, but with this car i wanted to go further. So i asked a few people and made a coupe of posts here on what my next step should be, and for my automatic everybody said a Converter.......now i knew that i was gettin my *** handed to me on a roll by M6s so i wanted to get something to keep up. I thought that thats what this converter was goin to do for me. So far after running the car around i like the new sound but it seems like the car is slower. I dont have my Always available 40 punch (which was pretty deadly) anymore. The converter is really loose i'm guessin its due to having 2.73s. But i know most of yall will say just get bigger gears or get more stuff to compensate for the loss. i'm 18 and dont have a really good source of income.....this is what i bought with my High school Grad money....and the excitement that was in the beginning before the purchase...is kinda shot
Old 06-11-2003 | 11:42 PM
D(irecto)r Pepper

Default Re: My Vig3600 isnt wasnt i though it would be.....

Sorry man, that is a 60 foot converter... not so much a "punch from a roll" verter.

That verter is pretty loose and then couple that with 2.73's and just a few bolt ons? Yea, too much verter or at least too loose for your application is the case it sounds like to me.

Good verter... just not for your particular application. IMO

Old 06-12-2003 | 01:41 AM
TECH Resident

Man....i kinda wish i could just start over.....or just get a smaller converter....life sux when your poor
Old 06-12-2003 | 02:01 AM
TECH Apprentice

PI does Free restalls take it out and send it back to PI and get a 2800.
Old 06-12-2003 | 05:43 AM
Banned

Hammer is right...From a dead stop the Vig3600 is a monster. But the higher the stall you go the less efficient they get from a punch. Which means they give up alittle from a roll. Now it does what the name implies. " Torque Converter ". It takes torque to make it perform strong. So with little mods and a 2.73 gear you aren't applying enough power to make the converter perform at it's best. I have the same converter, so I know what you mean. But when you start upping the power and get 3.23's or higher the converter feels tighter and acts like an animal. Since I have heads/cam I raised my idle to 850rpm and the car rolls when you take your foot off the brake like a stock converter does. As you can see in my sig. I built my setup to make lots of low to mid-range torque. Which really makes the converter awesome. It's just my opinion but, it doesn't feel that loose to me because I'm making enough power to make the converter feel tighter. If you plan on adding mods like heads/cam or just a strong cam, you might want to stick with the Vig3600. Hope I could help. Take care.
Old 06-12-2003 | 09:58 AM
TECH Veteran

When we first discussed stuff about the converter I never said anything about it's "street racing" performance. I didn't do much of that really, my car was set up to run from a stop at the track. I know you don't plan to spend a bunch of money on other mods right now, but you do plan to in the future right? Well I can gaurantee if you would have went with a 2800 stall right now you would be going higher in the future. Take it to the track this weekend and see how it does out there, maybe you will get hooked and not worry about running people on the street so much. Tell em to bring it to HRP if they want to run you. Manual cars are always going to be quicker from a roll, that is why you buy a manual car, autos kill from a stop, but that manual can always get you at the top end. You are just starting out so you have a lot to learn and you have only had the converter for a very short time. I just hope you are not pissed at me, as I gave no expectations about the "from a roll" performance of that converter and I have done all I can to help you out.
Old 06-12-2003 | 12:56 PM
TECH Resident

To make this clear.....Lynda you did NOTHIN wrong is this deal, i had a mind set on this and i thought this would be the best deal for me money wise. As for modding the car... really all i have left is to up the gears to 3.42s and headers....heads and cam are way way way too far in the furture

Let me ask these questions....would it be better to get the headers and gear and keep the converter...or should i just try for a smaller converter and then gear and headers?

I mean i want to run fast at the track but i also want some street power from a roll casue thats were i get most of my races.

Once again....lynda and Clint thanx alot for giving me such a good deal.....and im in no way mad at yall. I'll let you know if i go to the track this weekend.....fidel is coming with me.

Trending Topics

Old 06-12-2003 | 02:58 PM

Sounds to me like you ought to just get 3.42s
swapped in and keep the big converter. Highway
will still be tolerable (2650 RPM at 80MPH) and
your "perceived tighness" will improve a whole
bunch. This way you'd be going the next step in
acceleration performance, not giving back.
Old 06-12-2003 | 04:21 PM
TECH Resident

Just wondering...by why 3.42s over 3.73s?
Old 06-12-2003 | 04:32 PM
TECH Veteran

I love my vig 3600 and 3.23's. I went from 12.8's to 11.9 bolt on with that stall and SLP LT headers on nittos. Cut a 1.58 60ft on 16inch nittos also

My friend had the vig3600 in his 99Z along with 2.73's and he went a best of 12.2 with headers. The car was very loose, but i actaully liked the feeling of it.

You will like it alot more if you had 3.23's or 3.42's! Mine still feels a tad loose with 3.23's, but i love the feeling. I couldnt have a A4 if I didnt have a stall. Also, keep in mind if you want to win from a roll, then GET A M6. A4's are not roll racing cars. Even with heads/cam a A4 would have trouble pulling or beating a bolt on M6 from a 60punch. Throw in a cam on a M6 and kiss beating a M6 from a roll away big time! A4's are NOT roll racing cars. True racing is dead stop and thats where we cant be beat. While they are trying to feather the clutch and not kick the car sideways on shifts we are already so far out they cant catch up usually.

I trapped 112 with mine stock and 117 with a cam. I hope to break 120ish with the heads I have now. Also, if you dont have a tranny cooler or deep trans pan look into them. They will save the life of your's trans big time. Ive been running my 3600 for about 3 years!

vig is one of the best, you just need more gear. But even with gear and headers you arent gonna stack up to good with any M6 from a 40-60 punch. Tell them to run you from dead stop if you want to show them what your car has When you get a gear and hook from dead stop you will love that converter!
Old 06-12-2003 | 05:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

Just wondering...by why 3.42s over 3.73s?
Just my $.02 on the question: 3.73s might be a bit of overkill. I have the 3.42s in mine from the original setup (was a manual)...it's perfect for the MPH I'd like to run at the track. 3.73s would force me to shift to OD. If you're going to use this as a good street strip balance car, 3.42s might be the best bet...bottom line, put in what you're going to want with you're eventual final setup. As you can see from my sig, I have the vig3200, and with my setup it's not loose at all.

For what it's worth, you will get used to the "loose" feel after a while. I thought my setup was loose when I first installed it, but after a while it just grows on you. If you're strapped for cash, don't jump into anything real quick...you might regret it down the road.

I was in your shoes not so long ago. Cheer up, it's only money
Old 06-12-2003 | 05:47 PM
TECH Veteran

ditto the above.... i had a friggin 2800 stall and I couldnt tell it was in the car. I had to take that out get bigger! If you got a smaller stall you would want bigger! Its gonna be a little loose cause you got the right one right off the get go It grows on you like said above!
Old 06-12-2003 | 06:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

99PTA, take that sucker to the track and youll feel what u paid for...

BTW: Try punching it at 30 or 25 and youll feel what u bought,, My car with the 3000 catches GOOD from 25! Try it and let me know how it was...
Old 06-12-2003 | 07:57 PM
TECH Veteran

would it be better to get the headers and gear and keep the converter
Yes! But if you seem to be more preferable to from a roll performance, you can either swap to an M6 (not cheap) or you can sell that converter for the same price you bought it for and call someone like TCS who does custom converters and tell them what you want and they will hook you up with the right stall and str for your preference. You can ask everyone's opinoin here but it just matters what you want. Try to make it out to HRP sunday...even if my car is not ready to run we may bring Clint's out. Shoot me a PM or call me if you still have my number sometime Sunday if you are planning on showing up.
Old 06-12-2003 | 08:12 PM
Staging Lane

Default Re: My Vig3600 isnt what i though it would be.....

I say you spend your money and time on remaining free mods and the remaining bolt-on's parts. I think with a full exhaust including header's it will wake the car up. You can by a set of used header's and exhaust for a cheap price if you look around and be patient. But as for now let's take it to the track and get a good launch and I promise you that you leave baytown with smile from ear to ear. To get "E.T." at the track it all comes down to take off, when driving you car if felt like it had the ***** of the line espically when running my lt-1 of the line.
Old 06-12-2003 | 09:02 PM
TECH Resident

haha fidel....i guess....well i dont feel so down about it now. Anyways i think i will go with the gear first to get rid of the looseness..and then headers.
Old 06-13-2003 | 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Like I said, 99PTA, punch it from 25....
Old 06-13-2003 | 01:01 PM
TECH Resident

I did...and it pulled but not as hard as it did from a 40 with old stall.