Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converter unlocks everytime I let off the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 10:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Converter unlocks everytime I let off the throttle

We have been after this for a long time now. It locks up where it is supposed to (45mph) but anytime after that if I let off the throttle the converter unlocks. As soon as I touch the throttle again it will lock back up.

Its a stock trans, deep pan, cooler, SS3600.

My tuner cant find anything in Tuner Catz, he has talked with their people and they are not sure of the problem. He also has HP Tuners and we cant find anything in there. Brake switches are good and I am not getting any codes.....

Any ideas??
Old 11-14-2007, 11:02 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

That is normal operation

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-14-2007, 11:11 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by performabuilt
That is normal operation
Hmm, didnt do it before. You are telling me its normal to be cruising down the highway, let off the gas (not touch the brake) and the converter unlocks

It will only stay locked under load
Old 11-14-2007, 11:59 PM
Tech Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My old V6 Firebird did this. The second I took my foot off the gas, the converter would unlock. Then, if I touched the gas again, it would lock back up.

I don't notice this with my Formula. It seems to always feel locked. However, the stock V8 converters are a lot beefier than the stock V6 converters, so maybe I just don't notice the unlocking? Who knows.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:33 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Red 01SS
Hmm, didnt do it before. You are telling me its normal to be cruising down the highway, let off the gas (not touch the brake) and the converter unlocks

It will only stay locked under load
Yes unless tuned other wise the pcm should unlock the throttle under no load pedal release and resume on throttle apply , It should also release on heavy throttle tip in . Should only be on in part throttle crusing

Call 888-744-6542

Old 11-15-2007, 06:48 AM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have mine to lock past 55mph at less than 43% TPS input, at cruise it will lock up nicely and unlock when I come off the throttle. All the auto's we've tuned we've duplicated my trans settings and tweaked a bit. This is the me and my tuner have it works very well... we got the 43% value by logging some cruises and addind some % to that so if you are cruising and want to go around someone, the converter will unlock and put you back in the power rather than lugging the motor down low, then lock back up when you go to cruising again.
Old 11-15-2007, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by silver-mod-o
the converter will unlock and put you back in the power rather than lugging the motor down low, then lock back up when you go to cruising again.
As soon as I touch the gas again, as if I were going to pass someone, it will lock back up. It will only put me "in the power" (by unlocking) untill I touch the throttle to pass. This does not help out with passing anyone at all...

Maybe I am off base here, just seems odd to me that it will lock and unlock 50 times on the highway in a matter of miles.
Old 11-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Custm2500's #1 Fan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Red 01SS
As soon as I touch the gas again, as if I were going to pass someone, it will lock back up. It will only put me "in the power" (by unlocking) untill I touch the throttle to pass. This does not help out with passing anyone at all...

Maybe I am off base here, just seems odd to me that it will lock and unlock 50 times on the highway in a matter of miles.
you misunderstood what I'm saying...

Imagine you are cruising, 60mph, converter locked 2200 RPM, and come up on someone slower.... roll into the throttle (past your preset TPS input value) and it unlocks.... putting the RPM's back up in the range of power... making it easier to pass someone, without standing in the throttle. and once you get around them and resume your cruising situation, it locks again (under preset TPS value) and everything is back they way it was....

But to answer your original question, yes, once you let off the throttle completely it will unlock while coasting, get back in it, and it locks back up... just the way the PCM is written...

Do you understand my lockup settings now?? make more sense??
Old 11-15-2007, 01:01 PM
11 Second Club

Ah gotcha, must have read it wrong, sorry. I suppose everything is well then....

Last edited by Red 01SS; 03-31-2010 at 03:31 PM.