Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 05:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

here is the 5.0 and superfords 5.0coyote article they put on their site. it has the entire article.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/tec...ine/index.html

the Aussie BOSS 290 and newer versions make nearly the same power and are cheaper to manufacture. they use 03-05 tumble port heads.

BUt fuel economy sucks bad, and they weigh a ton. i had a 5.4 3v in my stang before the turbo 4.6 4v. economy was horrid. it made 340 rwtq stock though. 5.4 is not the way to go.
Old 03-07-2010, 04:59 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ThisBlood147
The new 5.0 is actually a much more efficient design that is capable of better numbers out of the box. The 4V 5.4 in the Shelby is a much older design (and is likely to be completely replaced by the new 5.0 in the not so distant future).
I heard the same. And it will have twin turbos.
Old 03-07-2010, 11:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ke^in
I heard the same. And it will have twin turbos.
That rumor has been debunked by Ford engineers. I'll see if I can find the interview where they stated this, but basically they said that there's no room for the turbos in a Coyote powered Mustang. So unless they come up with a work around for this problem, it's more likely that the GT500 (or more likely...just the Cobra) will be powered by a supercharged 5.0 in the future. I can see a forged 4V 5.0 with lowered CR topped off by a good PD blower being capable of some great things. I would love to see them do a turbo Cobra in the future, but I don't see it happening with the current gen model. Maybe when the 2014 redesign comes along...
Old 03-07-2010, 11:22 AM
TECH Regular

I read that Ford said that they next version of it wouldn't be, but they were saying one might show up in the future.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 AM
10 Second Club

Default 2011 Ford Mustang GT Leads Class With 26 mpg Highway, 412 Horsepower

2011 Ford Mustang GT Leads Class With 26 mpg Highway, 412 Horsepower
12:01a ET March 16, 2010 (PR NewsWire)

New 2011 Mustang GT vaults to the top of its class with final fuel economy certified by the EPA this week at 26 mpg highway and 17 mpg city.

The Mustang GT -- carrying a 412-horsepower 5.0-liter V-8 engine and six-speed manual transmission -- delivers incredible acceleration in addition to fuel economy, thanks in part to the flexibility of the six-speed manual transmission.

The entire Mustang lineup now achieves segment-leading fuel economy with the Mustang V-6 being the first car ever to deliver 305 hp and 31 mpg and the Mustang GT achieving best-in-class fuel economy of 26 mpg.

The 2011 Ford Mustang GT, powered by a new 412-hp 5.0-liter V-8 engine, adds yet another notch to its belt: an EPA rating of 26 mpg highway when equipped with the six-speed manual transmission, giving it the best fuel economy in its class.

"The 2011 Mustang continues to exceed expectations in every category, and these fuel economy numbers are another chapter in an incredible story," said Derrick Kuzak, Ford's group vice president, Global Product Development. "To offer this kind of horsepower and class-leading fuel economy in a comfortable, beautiful, tech-savvy and affordable package -- it's really unprecedented."

With the six-speed manual transmission, Mustang GT coupe is rated at 17 mpg city and 26 highway, while models with the available six-speed automatic achieve 18 mpg city and 25 highway.

The GT's best in class fuel numbers come on the heels of the Mustang V-6, which just last week cracked the record books as not only the most fuel-efficient Mustang ever, but also the first production car in history to produce 305 horsepower and 31 mpg highway

Mustang GT is powered by an all-new 5.0-liter double-overhead-camshaft (DOHC) V-8 with a host of advanced features to deliver the combination of power and class-leading fuel economy.

Twin Independent Variable Camshaft Timing (Ti-VCT) adjusts the valvetrain in microseconds depending on driver inputs. A carefully tuned intake and exhaust system ensures free breathing at all engine speeds. And all-aluminum construction results in a lightweight yet durable powerplant.

A pair of new transmissions, both with six forward ratios, also play a large part in making the 2011 Mustang a breakthrough car. Regardless of whether drivers want to shift for themselves or let the car shift for them, they're treated to carefully chosen gear ratios to maximize fuel economy while still delivering high-horsepower performance

"Mustang powertrain development has reached a point where customers don't have to choose between fuel efficiency and performance," says Barb Samardzich, Ford vice president of Global Powertrain Engineering. "Thanks to technologies like Ti-VCT and our six-speed gearboxes, a Mustang driver has the best of both worlds."

Fuel economy improvements on all Mustang models

Mustang GT shares fuel economy accolades with the new 3.7-liter Mustang V-6 - the first production car ever to offer both 300-plus horsepower and 31 mpg on the highway. Official 2011 EPA fuel economy ratings for the Mustang product line are:

Mustang V-6

19 mpg city and 31 highway (automatic coupe)

19 mpg city and 29 highway (manual coupe)

Mustang GT

18 mpg city and 25 highway (automatic coupe)

17 mpg city and 26 highway (manual coupe)

In addition to powertrain improvements, upgrades to Mustang's body and chassis design contribute to its 2011 performance. Examples include:

New EPAS eliminates the drag of an engine-operated hydraulic power steering pump

Combined with the new six-speed transmissions, standard 3.31 (manual) and 3.15 (automatic) rear axle ratios provide an ideal blend of relaxed cruising rpm and all-out acceleration

Aerodynamic improvements include a new front fascia on the Mustang GT, tire spats on the rear wheels, modified underbody shields, a taller air dam and an added rear decklid seal

The 2011 Mustang is built at the AutoAlliance International Plant in Flat Rock, Mich., and goes on sale this spring.
Old 03-16-2010, 07:11 AM
TECH Regular

To be honest, that's not THAT far from what I get with my GT now. But then again, I don't have 400+ hp.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

remember its EPA estimated. your results may be better or worse. i got 28mpg average highway with my original motor. it was EPA rated at 23mpg highway.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by assasinator
remember its EPA estimated. your results may be better or worse.
Yep, the EPA estimated MPG tends to be a few MPG lower than what a vehicle will actually get. I bet alot of people will hit 30mpg with the new GT's. I believe LS1 4th gens were rated pretty close to the new Mustang and people often see 29-31 MPG out of them on straight highway.
Old 03-16-2010, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

I hope GM reads all this info on the Mustang, maybe they will finally find a way to shed some weight off the Camaro.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by unit213
Search Mihovetz and educate yourself about the 4.6. You'll realize
that there has never been a LSx car to run as fast as him with his stock Ford
4.6 block.

We don't need another thread brought down to the 8th grade level. Keep it on track please.

Thanks.
The SSC Ultimate Aero has a LSX in it does it not?
Old 03-16-2010, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by SlvrV6Camaro
I hope GM reads all this info on the Mustang, maybe they will finally find a way to shed some weight off the Camaro.
GM? I wish Dodge would read it and cut a shitload out of the Challenger!! Of the three modern pony cars, I think the Challenger looks the best and is the most menacing (in the right colors and packages). But, even the SRT-8 version is barely high 12's/low 13's. If they could only make a 3/4 size version!

Here's my run down:

Camaro - great performance and mod capability, nice exterior design, **** for interior design. Heavy....big....

Challenger
- awesome exterior design, decent interior. Good performance, limited mod capability, terrible weight and *** problem (think Kirstie Alley)

Mustang - 2011 Coyote engine is great. Sounds the best. Decent exterior design (GT500 looks better, but $50K?!?), interior has improved, nice nav, shifter, seats. Size and weight are OK. Overall winner with the best compromises.
Old 03-16-2010, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by $750 L98
The SSC Ultimate Aero has a LSX in it does it not?
What is your point?
Old 03-16-2010, 02:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BAD2000TA
GM? I wish Dodge would read it and cut a shitload out of the Challenger!! Of the three modern pony cars, I think the Challenger looks the best and is the most menacing (in the right colors and packages). But, even the SRT-8 version is barely high 12's/low 13's. If they could only make a 3/4 size version!

Here's my run down:

Camaro - great performance and mod capability, nice exterior design. Heavy....big....

Challenger
- awesome exterior design, decent interior. Good performance, limited mod capability, terrible weight and *** problem (think Kirstie Alley)

Mustang - 2011 Coyote engine is great. Sounds the best. Decent exterior design (GT500 looks better, but $50K?!?), interior has improved, nice nav, shifter, seats. Size and weight are OK. Overall winner with the best compromises.
My feelings exactly.
Old 03-16-2010, 02:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Juicy J
What is your point?
"that there has never been a LSx car to run as fast as him with his stock Ford
4.6 block. "

Not true, was my point. There are as many fast LSx as there are 4.6 lol, you pay your money, you take your choice.
Old 03-16-2010, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"that there has never been a LSx car to run as fast as him with his stock Ford
4.6 block. "

Not true, was my point. There are as many fast LSx as there are 4.6 lol, you pay your money, you take your choice.
You know what he meant. We aren't talking about supercars built for top speed. Unit is talking ET's, and you have not proved anything. An Aero is a high 9 second car, and Unit's example is a low 6 second car.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Don't get all touchy now, I just found it funny that I didn't even have to read a page before it was declared that a LS would never touch a 4.6 lol

Mihovetz ran 7's on the stock block, not stock internals, at least as far as I can find. I'm sure some one around here runs 7's on a stock block LS with built internals.

I guess I should have typed with more sarcasm so there wouldn't be hurt feelings.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:22 PM
TECH Addict

Don't get all touchy now, I just found it funny that I didn't even have to read a page before it was declared that a LS would never touch a 4.6 lol

Mihovetz ran 7's on the stock block, not stock internals, at least as far as I can find. I'm sure some one around here runs 7's on a stock block LS with built internals.

I guess I should have typed with more sarcasm so there wouldn't be hurt feelings.
Where did anybody say the LSX would never touch a 4.6? and Mihovetz did run 7's with the majority of his internals being stock.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"It runs ported stock heads (fitted with large 38mm intake and 31mm exhaust valves), reground stock cams, motorcycle valve-springs (for max high-rpm durability), Manley rods, and JE pistons."

Not trying to be argumentative, but I went and looked him up because 6's on a "stock block" sounded amazingly impressive. Hard to find too much info, but it looks like it was pretty built up, the only thing I didn't see mention of was the crank.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

heads in john's car are only mildly ported. he uses:

frpp stainless valves with back cuts and shaved stems. he may prep them more.
he uses stock exhaust valves. there is no advantage to special exhaust valves on a 4v.
the heads have mild porting. by that i mean the primary port have the short side altered from the stock "ramp" for swirl to a cut that closely appoximates a short side. the primary valve is deshrouded. the primary bowl is altered to assist turning the charge toward the valve. if you saw a stock primary port on B heads they are designed to force airflow to avoid the short side causing swirl. ford designed the bowl very shallow to enhance the flow across the valve. those things can be improved mostly.

the secondary port is a nearly perfect port as-is. it only needs a cleanup and bowl blend.

primary port has no guide boss. the guide is recessed. secondary guide extends into the port and is cleaned flush.

the exhaust is moderately ported.

i mentioned details because the heads are not aftermarket or massively modded.they flow more than enough. with 222cc ports.

crank is stock prepped. i have one in my closet.

block is really modded.

an aluminum LS block can hardly survive 2300hp.
Old 03-16-2010, 08:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That was mostly what I was wondering about, I was here thinking that it was a "stock block" as in basically a stock short block. Aluminum blocks I don't know about, not without being modified or filled at least.

However there are 6-7 second F body cars around, 2 or so in Houston alone if I remember correctly (Fereday?). Hard to remember, but I believe one of them was running a stock block and heads (ported of course) on 30psi of boost.

Either way Ford/GM, it's just two different sides to the same coin, domestic muscle battle that hasn't had a winner since the fight started. Termis from the factory with a blower, forged internals, 4v heads - a beast. LS9, 6.2L, supercharged, making the ZR1 what it is today - a beast.

It's nice to see ford getting back into the cubic inch war though, no blowers, just massive raw N/A power (my personal favorite).

Quick Reply: 2011 Mustang 5.0L V8 Dyno Test