Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

F1 designer Gordan Murray designs a new kind of car.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2010, 12:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default F1 designer Gordan Murray designs a new kind of car.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11301831

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-11301831
Old 09-20-2010, 01:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's the same link twice. That car's pretty cool but I wonder how much interior room it has.
Old 09-20-2010, 01:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Everyone thought the Smart car would be the next big thing too. As soon as gas prices fell, everyone reverted back to the larger vehicles. Unless there is another gas crisis that lasts longer than a year, I don't think the market is hungry for these kinds of cars.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

failure again!!!

most people will not downsize or give up luxury... people want large vehicles with all of the features.. now if you could make a tahoe get 30-45mpg everyone would be happy.

"Imagine a car so narrow that two can drive next to each other in one lane; a car so small and short that three can park in one parking space".

now imagine, pulling out infront of my 2010 silverado 1500 4x4 doing 65-75mph down the highway, without room to stop or swerve, i hit you. Now Imagine bleeding on the concrete as your pop can car crumbled into you...

these little cars work great overseas but fail in the usa...
Old 09-20-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I didn't think I'd need to elaborate that this would utterly fail in the current American car market. I stand corrected.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:28 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ibanez7
these little cars work great overseas but fail in the usa...
only because of ourselves though
Old 09-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Z Fury
Everyone thought the Smart car would be the next big thing too. As soon as gas prices fell, everyone reverted back to the larger vehicles. Unless there is another gas crisis that lasts longer than a year, I don't think the market is hungry for these kinds of cars.
I'll pay $5/gallon no problem as opposed to putting my family in a roller skate.
Safety greatly outweighs even the inflated cost of gas. I understand that "safety"
in a car is somewhat of a perceived illusion, but I'll certainly take my chances
in an Escalade versus this thing.
Old 10-12-2010, 05:00 PM
Teching In

Wow I guess everyone missed its THE F1 Designer of modern history with 25 people using advanced materials that big business would rather you not know about.

even @80mph this little guy would be far supperior in a wreck then a SUV, you guys know why roll cages are used right. This car is a purpose built F1 rollcage. Even without glass it wouldnt smash unless you dropped a semi on it. Now roll your tahoe at 55 and let me see how it looks. you and yours are safer because your a size queen wow.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:22 PM
LEO
TECH Addict

Murray should have given up after the F1 was created. This is absloute failure.
Old 10-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Tin Foil Hat Wearin' Fool

Originally Posted by bcgd
Wow I guess everyone missed its THE F1 Designer of modern history with 25 people using advanced materials that big business would rather you not know about.

even @80mph this little guy would be far supperior in a wreck then a SUV, you guys know why roll cages are used right. This car is a purpose built F1 rollcage. Even without glass it wouldnt smash unless you dropped a semi on it. Now roll your tahoe at 55 and let me see how it looks. you and yours are safer because your a size queen wow.
Same thing was said about the Smart cars with that tridion safety cell deal, there are tons of pictures all over the internet of it messed up. Besides the fact that its supposedly "safe" its simple physics that a lighter vehicle will get its *** handed to it in a wreck regardless when it collides with a heavier vehicle. Yeah the cell may protect you from a direct hit but let me know how your soft tissue handles bouncing around like a ping pong ball.

My buddy works for DPS here in Austin and has seen some pretty messed up police tahoes, they ahve side curtain air bags and fair quite well in roll overs. The vehicle is toast obviously but the occupants walk away in 90% of those accidents, theres a reason DPS doesnt mind using big vehicles
Old 10-12-2010, 06:28 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by bcgd

(Laws of physics) > (the best rollcage on earth)

Read up on the relation between mass and inertia, then come back and edit your post.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 81 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by unit213
I'll pay $5/gallon no problem as opposed to putting my family in a roller skate.
Safety greatly outweighs even the inflated cost of gas. I understand that "safety"
in a car is somewhat of a perceived illusion, but I'll certainly take my chances
in an Escalade versus this thing.
As the economy tanks further, your pay is cut in half or 1/3 and gas is ten dollars a gallon. You will rethink your decision. Well, no actually, you'll have no decision. We are so damn lucky here and most don't even realize it.

Like I have previously stated and will continue to say. I will pimp that bitch to work each and everyday smiling my *** off. No sweat. As long as everyone else is driving one too. Im not facing a surburban in one. So let's all jump on the bandwagon together and get this **** done

Quick Reply: F1 designer Gordan Murray designs a new kind of car.