Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by texas94z
There is no way the '13 GT500 will come close to the ZL1's 7:41 time.
Easy with that, I was a little put off by the zl1 being announced a year before you could get your hands on one. Then it had the engine that everyone thought it would have albeit with a hp jump (hopefully not one of those "on paper" ones like they did with the v6)

So Ford had a good amount of time to prepare for this car. Of note, I'm not the CEO of a car company, but I don't get why they spilled the beans so much before they car came out and no real huge surprises.

That said, I like this car and barring the apocalypse, I'll keep this on my short list for my next car.
Old 10-25-2011, 12:57 PM
Douchebag On The Tree

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Irunelevens
Oh I'm sorry, I forgot we could only talk about cars we were planning on buying...
Nope, but with all the countless ZL1 threads on this site you've been in them all complaining the exact same things multiple times in each thread. I mean, I'm not even going to agree with grandma and say "if you don't have anything nice to say..." because criticism is a good thing; however, you're borderline trollin ZL1 threads now.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/street-ra...l#post15503016

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...eleased-2.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...eleased-3.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/automotiv...eleased-5.html

pretty much every page in this thread...
Old 10-25-2011, 01:37 PM
***Repost Police***

So you don't take issue with the fact that there are 25 new ZL1 threads every week, you take issue with my responses? I am not talking trash, I am simply stating an extremely valid fact-based viewpoint. You don't like it, sorry.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:58 PM
Launching!

Oh I'm sorry, I forgot we could only talk about cars we were planning on buying...
I don't believe you. Why don't you plan on buying one again? I forgot...

So you don't take issue with the fact that there are 25 new ZL1 threads every week, you take issue with my responses? I am not talking trash, I am simply stating an extremely valid fact-based viewpoint. You don't like it, sorry.
I wonder how many GT500 threads there were on the Ford forums when it was waiting to be released in 2007? I'm sorry you're on a GM site and have to deal with more than a few people who are excited that GM is finally releasing a GT500 competitor. I cannot fathom how infuriating that must be for you!

Unlike your responses the ZL1 threads have different topics to discuss, e.g. ZL1 Spec Release, Jay Leno & ZL1, ZL1 at Nurburgring, ZL1 convertible, etc. You on the other hand see Camaro or ZL1 in a thread title and get a hard-on because you have another opportunity to state that it's too heavy for you and you will never buy one. I don't think anyone disagrees with you about its weight. It's a valid point and this is why you don't like it. We get it! Thank you!
Old 10-25-2011, 06:22 PM
***Repost Police***

See, you mentioned two threads that I haven't posted in at all. Now we can be best friends.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:38 PM
Launching!

Now we can be best friends.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:48 PM
Banned

I feel sorta dumb, can't access the link...I tried copying and pasting what's posted on here, but I think that ... in the middle messed it up, it brings up the Website but says Error 404 not found.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
Willow Springs times:

-GT500 - 1:23.48
-ZR1 - 1:23.87
-Z06 Z07 - 1:24.28
-Grand Sport - 1:27.10

So it's really not that unimaginable.

You going to be ok???
it IS highly unimaginable.!!..even with similar times posted on ONE track the times for other tracks are different in favor of the Zo6 meaning obviously this is a fluke or whatever ppl may wanna call it...the Zo6 is a beast on any track and according to MANY reputable car reviewers the GT500 handles like a boat compared to the Z06...it's simple shysics that should tell you that the ZO6 if a far superior performer in ALL aspects...#1 Z06 is around 600lbs lighters..has better weight ditribution as well as a suspension far more suited for road courses...they have similar HP 505 to 550 ...better braking!!...better 0-60!! and better 1/4th mile times all day every day!!...i'm not gona let what those 2 cars ran around ONE track affect the facts at hand...by your theory then the GT500 is faster than the Ford GT??!!??..because the Z06 put a hurting on the Nurburgring track times of the Ford GT..but you want me to believe the GT500 can best the Z06??..comon man, lets use a lil common sense here and not go by williow springs times alone..look at all the other track times out there..road courses and drag strip times alike and it's a no brainer the Zo6 is 5x the car the GT500 is...i could maybe believe the new BOSS 5.0 would have close times to the Zo6 seeing as how it's alot more suited for the track than a GT500..but the GT500 is a hopped up mustang..still heavy..and can barely run low 12's at the drag strip while the Z06 runs's high 11's on their BAD days at the track lol
Old 10-25-2011, 08:52 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
it IS highly unimaginable.!!..even with similar times posted on ONE track the times for other tracks are different in favor of the Zo6 meaning obviously this is a fluke or whatever ppl may wanna call it...the Zo6 is a beast on any track and according to MANY reputable car reviewers the GT500 handles like a boat compared to the Z06...it's simple shysics that should tell you that the ZO6 if a far superior performer in ALL aspects...#1 Z06 is around 600lbs lighters..has better weight ditribution as well as a suspension far more suited for road courses...they have similar HP 505 to 550 ...better braking!!...better 0-60!! and better 1/4th mile times all day every day!!...i'm not gona let what those 2 cars ran around ONE track affect the facts at hand...by your theory then the GT500 is faster than the Ford GT??!!??..because the Z06 put a hurting on the Nurburgring track times of the Ford GT..but you want me to believe the GT500 can best the Z06??..comon man, lets use a lil common sense here and not go by williow springs times alone..look at all the other track times out there..road courses and drag strip times alike and it's a no brainer the Zo6 is 5x the car the GT500 is...i could maybe believe the new BOSS 5.0 would have close times to the Zo6 seeing as how it's alot more suited for the track than a GT500..but the GT500 is a hopped up mustang..still heavy..and can barely run low 12's at the drag strip while the Z06 runs's high 11's on their BAD days at the track lol
Agreed. GT500 isn't track suited to outdo the Z06, plus it weighs a lot more.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:54 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by ilovechevy1
Sometimes I wonder if you do any thinking before you type... you find it completely unbelievable that the GT500 can keep up with the Z06 on any track, but have no problem believing that the ZL1 can. To quote you, "it's simple shysics." There's nothing wrong with being a little cautious to believe manufacturer-published times, but blindly believing numbers from one manufacturer while sweeping other times under the rug is a little ridiculous.
Old 10-25-2011, 08:56 PM
Banned

Sometimes I wonder if you do any thinking before you type... you find it completely unbelievable that the GT500 can keep up with the Z06 on any track, but have no problem believing that the ZL1 can. To quote you, "it's simple shysics." There's nothing wrong with being a little cautious to believe manufacturer-published times, but blindly believing numbers from one manufacturer while sweeping other times under the rug is a little ridiculous.
I don't think he's out of line for calling those bogus times. No way is a GT500 going to outrun the ZR1 in a straight line or a track. ZR1 is a beast at both, no way a car half its price will even come close.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:07 PM
***Repost Police***

Originally Posted by WhiteKnight '01
I don't think he's out of line for calling those bogus times. No way is a GT500 going to outrun the ZR1 in a straight line or a track. ZR1 is a beast at both, no way a car half its price will even come close.
My point is, you could say the same thing about the ZL1. Everybody knows how fast the Z06 is in a straight line, and it is WAY faster than the ZL1 is going to be. Which would mean for the published ZL1 times to be taken as an accurate portrayal of the car's comparative performance, that would mean that the ZL1 handles SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 1,000lb lighter Z06. Which I don't think anybody actually believes. In my humble opinion, no way a production ZL1 is legitimately going to outrun a Z06 in a straight line or a track.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:08 PM
Banned

My point is, you could say the same thing about the ZL1. Everybody knows how fast the Z06 is in a straight line, and it is WAY faster than the ZL1 is going to be. Which would mean for the published ZL1 times to be taken as an accurate portrayal of the car's comparative performance, that would mean that the ZL1 handles SIGNIFICANTLY better than the 1,000lb lighter Z06. Which I don't think anybody actually believes. In my humble opinion, no way a production ZL1 is legitimately going to outrun a Z06 in a straight line or a track.
What are people saying the ZL1 will run at the 1/4 mile? I'm pretty sure it will post something similar to the CTS-V...similar engine and all.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:11 PM
***Repost Police***

What are people saying the ZL1 will run at the 1/4 mile? I'm pretty sure it will post something similar to the CTS-V...similar engine and all.
Which is a full second and ~10mph slower in the 1/4 mile than the best Z06 times. See my point? That is an ENORMOUS difference.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:16 PM
Banned

Which is a full second and ~10mph slower in the 1/4 mile than the best Z06 times. See my point? That is an ENORMOUS difference.
You didn't answer my question...what times are they saying the ZL1 will run?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:21 PM
***Repost Police***

High 11s/Low 12s at ~120mph.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:22 PM
Banned

High 11s/Low 12s at ~120mph.
Probably being ignorant when I say this, but I think I could definitely see this thing hitting low 12's. That's not too much of a stretch if it's got 550HP.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM
***Repost Police***

Probably being ignorant when I say this, but I think I could definitely see this thing hitting low 12's. That's not too much of a stretch if it's got 550HP.
I can definitely see that too. But do you understand how much faster the Z06 is?
Old 10-25-2011, 09:23 PM
Banned

I can definitely see that too. But do you understand how much faster the Z06 is?
From what I have seen the Z06 runs about 11.6 in the 1/4 mile. With 45 less HP, and 800 lbs less weight.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:30 PM
***Repost Police***

Regardless of what you have seen, stock Z06s (down to the tires) have run LOW 11s, and one or two of even dipped into the 10s. STOCK. At 126-129mph. Like I said, a C6 Z06 would butt-rape a ZL1 in a straight line. The ZL1 will be a great race for a C5 Z06 though from a dig, and probably pull a bit from a roll.

Quick Reply: Nearly Full specs of the ZL1 available