Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Should I avoid this?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2010 | 04:16 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Default Should I avoid this?

I'm looking for a first gen CTS-V. Actually, I already saw one that looks nice and is priced right, but the car fax showed some serious engine work, and then they REPLACED THE ENGINE! Before the thing had 20k miles! (has 66,500 now) Any ideas on why this would have happened? Should I be worried about that?

I also noticed on that Caddy that the console has been replaced twice and the catalytic converter replaced THREE times. Is that at all normal? I also saw that the engine mounts were replaced, but after a little looking here, I see that it's fairly normal.
Old 10-15-2010 | 04:37 PM
TECH Regular

I'd assume they maggied it, beat the **** out of it, and blew the motor.
Old 10-15-2010 | 04:38 PM
Launching!

well you never really know what you're buying, but it sure does give you bargaining power
Old 10-15-2010 | 04:48 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Do you think it would be a good buy for low 20's? Or is it just too beat on?

EDIT: It's supposedly a one owner car, and it looks like it was bought, serviced, and traded in all at the same dealership.
Old 10-15-2010 | 06:31 PM
Launching!

What year & what color.

Previously a blown motor . . . probably was juicing it.
Old 10-15-2010 | 07:03 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

2007, black.
Old 10-15-2010 | 07:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Here on at Texas Direct Auto.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cadil...fCarsQ5fTrucks
Old 10-15-2010 | 10:35 PM
Teching In

Most cat codes (IMHO) are due to bad ignition causing fuel to be dumped into the cats and overheating them. They could be related to the replacement engine, if they were after the engine replacement I would really look at what the guy was doing to the engine. Could be something as simple as some crack head with a hand held tuner being stupid. If it were local, I would get it inspected by a dealer and put a GM warranty on it. Since it is Ebay, you are flirting with the unknown. How's your luck in gambling?
Old 10-15-2010 | 11:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Stepside
What year & what color.

Previously a blown motor . . . probably was juicing it.
C'mon man really? nitrous is the only possible way for a car to blow a motor. Its comments like this that make me wonder why i look here for info.
Old 10-16-2010 | 11:16 AM
TECH Regular

In my past, I've blown more engines with supercharging, than with nitrous. And combos have been fueled correctly.
Old 10-17-2010 | 04:39 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
In my past, I've blown more engines with supercharging, than with nitrous. And combos have been fueled correctly.
this x2...

a blown motor can be caused by a number of things...S/C, spray, T-Stat gets stuck...there is no telling. you will have to dig through the service records to find out what really happened...

good luck.
Old 10-17-2010 | 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dangrus
Could be something as simple as some crack head with a hand held tuner being stupid.
Kids around here pop 'em like firecrackers........they drill a hole in the air intake tube and pop in a nozzle (usually a 100 or 150 shot ) and crank away on their hand-held (if they even have one).

Can you say Crispy Critter?

With that said, if all the broken stuff has been replaced and the car is mechanically sound now (have it inspected), it may not be such a bad thing if you can get it at a discount.

Also, some of those Texas (Arlington area) eBay sellers deal in fleet/lease cars, and the cars can have damages not recorded by Carfax, etc., as they were broken and repaired under the radar.

If it's one of these, like I said previously, have it inspected by an independent source.
Old 10-17-2010 | 11:14 AM

Originally Posted by msgZ28
I'm looking for a first gen CTS-V. Actually, I already saw one that looks nice and is priced right, but the car fax showed some serious engine work, and then they REPLACED THE ENGINE! Before the thing had 20k miles! (has 66,500 now) Any ideas on why this would have happened? Should I be worried about that?

I also noticed on that Caddy that the console has been replaced twice and the catalytic converter replaced THREE times. Is that at all normal? I also saw that the engine mounts were replaced, but after a little looking here, I see that it's fairly normal.
I bet it was a toy car so if you use it as toy car go ahead but if you are looking for reliable transportation stay out of it...I bet the former owner drove it hard. Usually the body has a slight warp or is weakened due to the hard drive. Well I don't know how much they are asking for but it would still be a fun car to drive for sure.
Old 10-17-2010 | 12:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

mines nice and in the low 20's engine in perfect working order, lots of mods
Old 10-17-2010 | 06:26 PM
Devil Dog, OohRah!

Well, I'm SERIOUSLY looking at a different one now, looks clean as hell with less miles . Thanks for the input guys.
Old 10-18-2010 | 04:00 PM
Teching In

Personally, I'd likely defer to another vehicle with less issues. I mean, it's not like you are looking for a super-limited edition, or very hard-to-find vehicle ... right? I'm sure there are many more available out there. Good luck!
Old 10-18-2010 | 09:10 PM
Launching!

seems to me that it has been driven pretty hard. I would look for another personally.
Old 10-19-2010 | 01:06 PM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

Could have been due to bad gas or too low of octane used. A friends Titan V8 took a dump after buying wally world gas the week before. Drove good for a couple days, then all of a sudden it was hesitating. Shop called a bad fuel pump, replaced it, and the next day after picking it up... blew a head gasket and locked up the motor on the freeway. After the engine replacement by the dealer, the sent the fuel out to be sampled and found contaminents.

Quick Reply: Should I avoid this?