Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help for the V's Rear end.... We got it.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2010, 12:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^^ i agree, $500 and id be all over it
Old 12-21-2010, 01:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
^^^^ i agree, $500 and id be all over it
For sure! That would make it easier to justify the cost of making a reasonably strong rearend setup.

GForce Axles (non-race version) = $550
Installation of Axles = $200
Full Girdle = $800 (better price @ $500)

Total = $1550 ($1250)

--> less than cost of new Gen IV diff from GM (I think $1600) (not a completely fair comparison, because this doesn't include the axles, but it's just for illustrative purposes)

--> much less than cost of 9" rear conversion (I think $6500)
Old 12-21-2010, 02:04 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by tweeter81
For sure! That would make it easier to justify the cost of making a reasonably strong rearend setup.

GForce Axles (non-race version) = $550
Installation of Axles = $200
Full Girdle = $800 (better price @ $500)

Total = $1550 ($1250)

--> less than cost of new Gen IV diff from GM (I think $1600) (not a completely fair comparison, because this doesn't include the axles, but it's just for illustrative purposes)

--> much less than cost of 9" rear conversion (I think $6500)
ok, let me see if i have this straight. i come from the f-body world with the SRA. and the problem we have it the actual diff gears breaking. so with this brace and a nice set of axles, that still doesn't keep the gears themselves from breaking, or do these IRS not have that problem.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by the jester 812
ok, let me see if i have this straight. i come from the f-body world with the SRA. and the problem we have it the actual diff gears breaking. so with this brace and a nice set of axles, that still doesn't keep the gears themselves from breaking, or do these IRS not have that problem.
Our problem is the differential case breaks. This is brought on by massive wheel hop. You get the axles to cure the wheel hop and then this brace to keep the diff case from flexing and breaking.
Old 12-21-2010, 04:35 PM
Staging Lane

I'm a little confused from the video. The implication appears to be that the bracing eliminates the wheel hop on the street. Is that the claim?
Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kevm14
I'm a little confused from the video. The implication appears to be that the bracing eliminates the wheel hop on the street. Is that the claim?
I don't have a dog in this fight, but from what the vid shows as well as Whisler's video....Both have INCREDIBLE reduction over stock wheel hop. IN NO WAY would I have the ***** to drop on my stock rear with no axles or cradle like that.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TCP1
I understand what you are saying and I am not saying this is to cure for wheel hop
Originally Posted by kevm14
That is how I understood it at first too, but I dont think that is his claim. I think he is bringing a new product for the drag racers that dont want to drop the $5500 on the full 9" rear, driveshaft and race axles.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whisler151
That is how I understood it at first too, but I dont think that is his claim. I think he is bringing a new product for the drag racers that dont want to drop the $5500 on the full 9" rear, driveshaft and race axles.
OOOOHH..Okay, well I was mistaken myself. Not sure what mods you have Whisler, just axles or any other wheel hop help, but the launch vid you posted looked pretty nasty and I would be more than happy if mine would stay on the ground anywhere near the way yours does. On a side-note....Seeing pics of your V was part of the inspiration in me getting one and darkening the wheels out.....I didn't go black, and still waiting on the lowering...LS7 clutch next...Picking up my sway bar bushings tomorrow...Gotta do the essentials before I do the extras.
Old 12-21-2010, 06:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by bamacaddy
OOOOHH..Okay, well I was mistaken myself. Not sure what mods you have Whisler, just axles or any other wheel hop help, but the launch vid you posted looked pretty nasty and I would be more than happy if mine would stay on the ground anywhere near the way yours does. On a side-note....Seeing pics of your V was part of the inspiration in me getting one and darkening the wheels out.....I didn't go black, and still waiting on the lowering...LS7 clutch next...Picking up my sway bar bushings tomorrow...Gotta do the essentials before I do the extras.
Thanks bama, my mods are in my signature. Only wheel hop help are axles. Mods are the same in that video minus that cam.

I did gunmetal before going black. It was a little light for me so I went black 6 months later.
Old 12-21-2010, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by whisler151
Thanks bama, my mods are in my signature. Only wheel hop help are axles. Mods are the same in that video minus that cam.

I did gunmetal before going black. It was a little light for me so I went black 6 months later.
Yep..I'm leaning more and more towards black now that my taillights are darkened out....That's the MAIN reason I did the rattle can treatment on mine, so I could change it rather cheaply if I got tired of what I had....$35 and a Saturday and I could have black. I thought your mods were in your sig, but I had already started the quote and was too lazy to go back..LOL...If I'm ever able to retire mine from it's dd duty as my sales vehicle...6k a month or so... I plan to get on the mod wagon for sure.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:31 AM
Banned

Default Wow in less than 24 hours

Wow in less than 24 hours, I was not ignoring anyone so please do not think of it that way;

What I built this girdle for: My problem was a 1st to 2nd shift with no wheel hop at all, the front of the Dif trying to touch the back. These IRS have a decent ring and pinionand bearings in them but the cases where never designed to handle even Stock HP driven as GM was selling them "a 4 door Vette"..... Both the Half and Full Girdle help. I feel that the Half will help it to about 500 hp and the Full to 650+ hp. If you go to the our Website there is a picture of both. If you look at the video on this forum the Half is the Right (Driver) Side and the Front brackets.

No, I will say it again, not only do I suggest our Gridle but also, Anti Wheel hop bar, Bushings, and axles. I would also do it in that order as I am. With the Wheel hop when I had that problem I got out of it right away. I have had two housing break before that by a powershift with no Wheel hop.

Cost: Now I started TCPerformance.info about 6 years ago and it is 1 of 3 Business I have, Total Com (Telecom) is my oldest that I have had for about 18 years. I Love to make cars Faster and if you look at our website there is a 79 twin turbo Vette that I did a Frame off and fabbed everything on it. Everytime I watch OCC I think to myself how I can do that for a living however unlike OCC I don't have the fancy things like a Water Jet Cutter that would make thing fast and simple. So these brakets are all hand cut with a Plasma Cutter and if anyone has ever used one they cut great but to make the part look good there is a lot of Grinding. When I started making these I was at about 65 hours (The Red one on my car took that long) now I have it down to about 45 hours which does not include material. Anyone that works with metal know I am not lieing about this. So if I had a machine that could crank out 10 a day the price would be to high but since I have to do it by hand I think the price is good. Hey I am home from my other company for 2 weeks, with feedback I will do it for $700.00, if you order by Monday!!

Sorry for going into such detail but I like to be upfront and give detail.
Old 12-22-2010, 07:08 AM
Launching!

The front girdle is what I'm interested in, because it distributes torque stress to the left side of the case which is the stroger side. Much more webbing on the left side than the right side.
Every break I have seen, has been on the right side where the case is smooth. Vibrations through smooth metal create stress risers in grain boundaries in which cracks propagate from, until complete failure results.
I keep wondering wheather an 'ear' or support mount with a bushing could be fabricated off the left side of the front girdle so torque flex could be distributed from the right side of the girdle, over to the left, and into the cradle and/or unibody via an 'ear' or support mount. Not much room with the exhaust but --- Food for thought . .

The front girdle looks like a bolt-on with no cradle lowering.

Is that true or not true?

Last edited by Stepside; 12-22-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: spelling /question highlight
Old 12-22-2010, 10:34 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by TCP1
Wow in less than 24 hours, I was not ignoring anyone so please do not think of it that way;

What I built this girdle for: My problem was a 1st to 2nd shift with no wheel hop at all, the front of the Dif trying to touch the back. These IRS have a decent ring and pinionand bearings in them but the cases where never designed to handle even Stock HP driven as GM was selling them "a 4 door Vette"..... Both the Half and Full Girdle help. I feel that the Half will help it to about 500 hp and the Full to 650+ hp. If you go to the our Website there is a picture of both. If you look at the video on this forum the Half is the Right (Driver) Side and the Front brackets.

No, I will say it again, not only do I suggest our Gridle but also, Anti Wheel hop bar, Bushings, and axles. I would also do it in that order as I am. With the Wheel hop when I had that problem I got out of it right away. I have had two housing break before that by a powershift with no Wheel hop.

Cost: Now I started TCPerformance.info about 6 years ago and it is 1 of 3 Business I have, Total Com (Telecom) is my oldest that I have had for about 18 years. I Love to make cars Faster and if you look at our website there is a 79 twin turbo Vette that I did a Frame off and fabbed everything on it. Everytime I watch OCC I think to myself how I can do that for a living however unlike OCC I don't have the fancy things like a Water Jet Cutter that would make thing fast and simple. So these brakets are all hand cut with a Plasma Cutter and if anyone has ever used one they cut great but to make the part look good there is a lot of Grinding. When I started making these I was at about 65 hours (The Red one on my car took that long) now I have it down to about 45 hours which does not include material. Anyone that works with metal know I am not lieing about this. So if I had a machine that could crank out 10 a day the price would be to high but since I have to do it by hand I think the price is good. Hey I am home from my other company for 2 weeks, with feedback I will do it for $700.00, if you order by Monday!!

Sorry for going into such detail but I like to be upfront and give detail.
Thanks a lot for all the info, man. I totally understand why you are charging what you are charging for all those labor hours to fab these suckers. Keep up the good work.
Old 12-22-2010, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

how bout make all ur peices and have a company with a water jet cut u a ton of em? then just weld em up and coat em.. im sure one big batch of all the cuts u need wouldnt be to bad price wise rather than grinding for 45 hrs on each girdle..
Old 12-22-2010, 03:36 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
how bout make all ur peices and have a company with a water jet cut u a ton of em? then just weld em up and coat em.. im sure one big batch of all the cuts u need wouldnt be to bad price wise rather than grinding for 45 hrs on each girdle..
^^^^^YEP YEP...What he said....I used to work for a company that had a small CNC and a FLO-JET....We would actually come in on Saturday and Sunday and cut parts for people if they had the specs and we would either supply the metal or they could bring their own...Usually was for the type of guy that didn't have the work flow to justify spending $100k on machines but didn't wanna spend 50-60 hrs on a plasma and a grinder....Punishment has a GREAT IDEA
Old 12-22-2010, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

that would work when you are dealing with a product you cant keep on the shelves or something marketed to a large number of people. if does a mass order of parts to makes kits once orders come in what happens when no orders come in? he gets stuck holding the bag for the money he is out.

not trying to turn him away from doing it but you have to look at it from both sides. How many has he sold to the people in this thread so far?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:01 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
that would work when you are dealing with a product you cant keep on the shelves or something marketed to a large number of people. if does a mass order of parts to makes kits once orders come in what happens when no orders come in? he gets stuck holding the bag for the money he is out.

not trying to turn him away from doing it but you have to look at it from both sides. How many has he sold to the people in this thread so far?
Well if you were to approach a shop that charges a minimum order that's true. In the case of things we used to do, we would cut sometimes as few as 15-20 pieces for someone.....Sometimes less than a 4x8 sheet of steel....Just finding the right person to hook you up might not be worth the trouble....I know we had a guy that made custom airplane parts and I also had access to a laser welder to do very small diameter welds...>1mm... He would call every other week or two and place an order......Be better if someone was moonlighting or something.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:20 PM
Banned

Default I understand and agree

I understand and agree if GM was still using this rearend however like I said I wanted to test it on my car 1st, which I did for the last year, then in order to post it on here, I had to be a sponsor $$. Then add I live in Chicagoland and Nobody does anything for cheap. If I was to get a lot of orders in or a lot of deposits it would be a Great Idea. I am doing this to help and get our name out because we also do other work besides being the only IL based MagnaSupercharger dealer. Besides for $150 you can get just the front pinion support plate. If you own a Vette you can get that Girdle for $500 and all that is is 2-plates about 8", 2 that are 4" and 4 adj. struts. I am selling the Half for $400 and the Full for $700 till Monday with feedback. I really dont think the price is out of line with the other things for our cars.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:11 AM
Launching!

I agree that its a great deal! Someone just jump on this and give some feedback. It looks like a nice solid piece to me.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

You will have a MUCH larger audience if you market it on the Cadillac Forum as well.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...v-performance/

Quick Reply: Help for the V's Rear end.... We got it.....