Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Something I must have missed about the ZL1

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Something I must have missed about the ZL1

I know this isnt the Camaro section but we do a fair amount of road racing here so this might be some info i dont think people are aware of.

ZL1 track times so far:
2:52:4 at VIR
Its as fast as a KTM XBow and faster then the following. GT-R, Z06 with the Z07 package, LP670-4 Murci, 430 Scud, GT3 RS, etc
http://www.caranddriver.com/features...to-2012-page-8

Vid- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbSkeFwn5xY

7:41.27 at Ring
The list of cars it beat there is insane.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...eife_lap_times
Vid- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWFP6LM-_q8

This seems to be a very very well engineered vehicle. If the Gt500 can move like this then we are in for a wild summer.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2013 GT500 will OWN the the ZL1.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:03 PM
TECH Veteran

My boy got a brand new ZL1 and sent it straight to the shop from the dealer. Put a cam in it, SC pulley, UD pulley, intake, full exhaust and tune and left it with me last weekend with 400 miles on the clock to break it in while he was gone. I have a vid of it on my phone. It's nasty fast! Lol and they still have some minor tuning to touch up on so it was setup really conservative. Still wicked fast and super smooth!
Old 05-03-2012, 07:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by whisler151
2013 GT500 will OWN the the ZL1.
if you mean in a straight line, then thats fine.... im sure you can make the 5.0 OWN a ZL1 easily.

but around corners on full tracks i dunno. I would like to see it though, just wonder why Ford hasnt mentioned a ring time since they have been at the ring testing since last June. Just the hp and top speed, while nice that isnt enough to buy a performance/ sports car for.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:32 PM
TECH Regular

Not bad for 4100 lb car.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
... UD pulley ...
I think you mean OD pulley.

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
if you mean in a straight line, then thats fine.... im sure you can make the 5.0 OWN a ZL1 easily.

but around corners on full tracks i dunno. I would like to see it though, just wonder why Ford hasnt mentioned a ring time since they have been at the ring testing since last June. Just the hp and top speed, while nice that isnt enough to buy a performance/ sports car for.
Agree.

GM must've done a bunch of effort getting the ZL1 to corner like that. Horsepower has its limitations even on the Ring, and the Camaro seems to have plenty enough to git 'r done.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:40 PM
TECH Veteran

I'm just repeating what he told me he had done so maybe i misunderstood what he said but it had an aftermarket billet crank pulley which is what I thought was the under drive pulley?
Old 05-03-2012, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by rand49er
I think you mean OD pulley.

Agree.

GM must've done a bunch of effort getting the ZL1 to corner like that. Horsepower has its limitations even on the Ring, and the Camaro seems to have plenty enough to git 'r done.

UD crank pulley... if its setup like a lightning/cobra there is a cage that the blower pulley is threaded onto and driven by the crank pulley...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Something isn't right there the c6 z06 with z07 options should be significantly faster around VIR. Either GM's test drivers are crazy fast(assume this to be true) compared to C&D drivers or the z06 was having a off day during lightning lap.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

No idea... i would imagine the Gm engineers might be looking to push the car harder then a drive who is hired by a magazine
Old 05-03-2012, 09:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SVTconfused
UD crank pulley... if its setup like a lightning/cobra there is a cage that the blower pulley is threaded onto and driven by the crank pulley...
Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
I'm just repeating what he told me he had done so maybe i misunderstood what he said but it had an aftermarket billet crank pulley which is what I thought was the under drive pulley?
I say that since I think of the SC pulley as the pulley driving the shaft into the SC and by changing to a smaller diameter you gain boost. On the other hand, an OD crank pulley will increase the revs to the SC whereas an UD will reduce them. I'm thinking my MP-112 setup when I say this, so I'm just guessing beyond that, so could be dead wrong.

Back to the main topic, I watched both of those vids, and the GT500 better bring all of it if it's going to contest that ZL1. That is one outstanding car! I mean, squealing the tires while cornering at 101 MPH is some serious stuff. Wish I could drive like that.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:14 PM
Launching!

No way the mustang will be able to duplicate that at the ring. I'd take the ZL1 all day over the mustang.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

An underdrive pulley slows the pulleys while lowering resistance of the belt drive to free up HP from parasitic loss on NA motors.

An overdrive pulley increases the speed of the accessory and adds a little more resistance to the belt system. On a S/C setup this is more than compensated for in the form of higher boost pressures. An overdrive pulley can also be used for alternators to either compensate for an underdrive crank pulley to maintain voltage levels, or to increase alternator output for high demand applications.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:00 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
No way the mustang will be able to duplicate that at the ring. I'd take the ZL1 all day over the mustang.
Like to see Ford make an effort and put all the performance mustangs around the ring. I think the new GT500 keeps up because of the final part being a very long straight but it would be a one heck of a violent ride with a solid axle...
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

VIR is mostly straights... I could see the mustang doing well there.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

That nurburgring lap time... thats not bad at all.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom

Ford won't post a video yet because they can't figure out how to set up the Bilstein shocks. An editor reported that the ride was so rough that it blurred his vision and rattled his teeth!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:32 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by BudRacing
An underdrive pulley slows the pulleys while lowering resistance of the belt drive to free up HP from parasitic loss on NA motors.

An overdrive pulley increases the speed of the accessory and adds a little more resistance to the belt system. On a S/C setup this is more than compensated for in the form of higher boost pressures. An overdrive pulley can also be used for alternators to either compensate for an underdrive crank pulley to maintain voltage levels, or to increase alternator output for high demand applications.
With an O/D pulley a 10% you would almsot always have 10% UD accessory pulleys so that only the S/C is being overdriven
Old 05-04-2012, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

These newer cars that come with the blower have a dedicated blower drive. That means that you can underdrive the crank and overdrive the blower. It's not jus a single belt.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by garrettg
Something isn't right there the c6 z06 with z07 options should be significantly faster around VIR. Either GM's test drivers are crazy fast(assume this to be true) compared to C&D drivers or the z06 was having a off day during lightning lap.
VIR has a lot of configurations, maybe it's not the same setup, or not run the same way (standing start vs rolling, etc) as Car and Driver does. GM's time around the 'ring with the ZL1 is about 20 seconds behind GM's Z07 time.

Still, it does seem like a cool car. And the marketing/videos suggest you could beat on it all day long and it would just take it. I just wish they didn't have such a cramped interior and poor visibility. I also wish a Camaro never weighed 4,100 lbs, but I could get over that if it were comfortable inside.

Quick Reply: Something I must have missed about the ZL1