Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Swapping cams, suggestions? (I know it's repetitive"

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Swapping cams, suggestions? (I know it's repetitive"

Long story short, I lost my oil pump, sent it in for a completed rebuild as I don't have much time anymore to mess with cars at the moment. They pulled my cam and found it had some damage.

It was a GX3 42/112, so it was pretty aggressive.

I know these threads are all over the place, but figure advice and experiences can't hurt and give some of you guys something to discuss when you're bored. Haha

I've got patriot heads on it, and a handful of other small supporting mods.

I didn't mind the aggressive cam, with a proper tune most things are perfectly drivable. The shop owner suggested a 235ish, to bring the torque curve down, which I wouldn't mind. But I'm 100% open to suggestions. As long as I don't need to rev it to redline to get to power, it'll be fun.

Middle ground on price. I'm not looking to drop unnecessary coin. I wasn't expecting this, so it's extra cost. Not too happy but figured I'd make the best of it.

I think that's all the info I can think is necessary, so let the suggestions roll in please
Old 04-20-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Check out the streetsweeper HT by Ed Curtis. It is 228/232 on 111+3. Lots of power under the curve. Martin at Tick also has some great cams out. He has one that is 227/235 110+3 that will give you even more under the curve, along with a nice lope. He posts on the internal engine forums all the time.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree on eiother of the above cams. With heads you dont need a huge cam to make nice power. I take it you have a few messed up lifters which caused the damage?

Also, I would have bought a Melling 10296 oil pump instead of rebuilding one(which ive never heard of).
Old 04-22-2013, 09:51 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the input guys, I'll do some googling on them today to see what seems nice.

And I went high volume, not sure of the brand, I meant a rebuild on the motor. Sorry for the poorly worded and typo riddled post. My iPhone lags hard in the browser.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Staging Lane

So far I'm leaning towards the Streetsweeper. Looks like they have one 235/240, which sounds like a nice middle ground. Also I found texas speed's *****' Thumper 227/241 that is a bit cheaper..

I'll probably be ordering tonight so here's another bump for any
More input! Thanks for the help guys.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Go with the HT. We need the dynamic compression from the smaller cam. That's what gives the power under the curve. The non-HT Streetsweeper is too big for our heavy cars, imho.

Here's Martin's thread on his cams. Very informative, and very good customer service: https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...rformance.html

The Streetsweeper HT has been around longer, but Ed is very busy and hard to get a hold of. However, the cam is proven over the years.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:26 AM
Staging Lane

Hmm.. That does make sense.. I don't want a dyno queen, but I don't want to be down on power either. You think a smaller cam will give me better results?
Old 04-24-2013, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Broski
Hmm.. That does make sense.. I don't want a dyno queen, but I don't want to be down on power either. You think a smaller cam will give me better results?
Yes, without a doubt. You should go post on Martin's thread that I linked above and ask his advice. Tell him your needs, and see what he recommends.

Martin's SNS Torquemax Stage 2 has more overlap than the streetsweeper HT, so will be even torquier. I tend to favor the SSHT because I want to maintain as much driveability as possible. However, even SSHT will be pretty driveable, while still giving mad lope.
Old 04-24-2013, 09:47 AM
Staging Lane

Awesome, I will do that. Thank you much, sir!
Old 04-25-2013, 10:06 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Broski
Awesome, I will do that. Thank you much, sir!
Broski, did you see Martin's responses? I jumped in to ask him to clarify some things, and he delivered pure gold. That man is a wealth of information.

Quick Reply: Swapping cams, suggestions? (I know it's repetitive"