Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Help me decide: GTO or CTS-V?

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2008, 03:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help me decide: GTO or CTS-V?

Sold my LS1 Z28 last year and I'm ready for another car. Narrowed it down to either an LS2 GTO (05/06) or a CTS-V (probably 05). I'll keep my Jeep Grand Cherokee for a daily driver but I want something nice & fun again, but something more civilized & refined than an F-body.

Some things I'm looking at:

Cost - GTO's with 20-30k miles are going for mid to low $20's.
- CTS-V's with same miles are going for high $20's low $30's
- seems like the Caddy will likely hold it's value better though.

Stock performance
- The GTO's came with the LS2 in 05 while the CTS-V had the LS6. For equal money, I'd rather have the LS2 motor.
- The Caddy's came with Brembo brakes, but I've never driven either car so I don't know if that's really much of an option worth having.

Aftermarket Parts
- decent selection of aftermarket grilles, spoilers, exhausts, intakes, etc. I definitely want the ability to customize whichever car I go with but probably wont' go too much farther than an intake, catback, wheels and a grille.

Interior
- both interiors look nice. I think the GTO's look real comfy but the Caddy has the suede inserts on the seats and 4 doors make the rear seat more accessible. The Caddy also has the option of NAV on the 06 model. Not sure about the stereo systems in either car, hopefully some of you can comment.

Suspension
- I know both cars have some problems with wheel hop associated with big hp cars and IRS. Not a big concern since I'll probably never take the car to the track, just want a quick car for cruising when I'm in the mood. Seems like there are some great packages available for the GTO from Pedders to really dial in the stance & handling to an optimum level. Not sure what's available for the Caddy but also not sure what's necessary other than a little stiffer swaybars.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yea would you rather have a mass produced truck motor instead of a highly sought after engine that Cts-v's were the last car to have. Just my opinion
Old 08-09-2008, 04:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Nav is standard in 04 and 05 i believe...sunroof was the only option
Old 08-09-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

http://cadillacfaq.com/gi/06cts-v.html

Here is a write up on the 06 V. cadillacfaq.com is a great site and will give you a ton of info.

As far as aftermarket parts, there will be more for the goat. The wheels for the V are very expensive but they are also very well made. We already have a great grill so you won't need that IMO but we have a few options for exhaust, all at varying cost and decibel levels. You can buy a cold air intake but they really aren't worth the cost imo. I'd add a tune to the mods and you'll be set.

If you have any more questions feel free to ask.
Old 08-09-2008, 04:17 PM
10 Second Club

I sold my V last September and picked up a GTO in December. 2005 GTO a4 w/ 19k miles. Very cherry car, but I would take the V over it any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I wanted an auto for the d.d. in S. Cal. Hope that answers your question, been there, done that and the V wins hands down.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 2c5s
I sold my V last September and picked up a GTO in December. 2005 GTO a4 w/ 19k miles. Very cherry car, but I would take the V over it any day of the week and twice on Sunday. I wanted an auto for the d.d. in S. Cal. Hope that answers your question, been there, done that and the V wins hands down.
From someone who's owned both cars, I'd like you to elaborate if possible on the pro's & con's of driving both. Overall feel of both cars...

Thanks
Old 08-09-2008, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by shudog
From someone who's owned both cars, I'd like you to elaborate if possible on the pro's & con's of driving both. Overall feel of both cars...

Thanks

Pro's for the V: much more solid car, quieter, stops waaaaayyyy better, handles better, highly optioned, better fuel economy than the a4 GTO, did I mention brakes??? The car feels and is more solid.

Pro's for the GTO: has better seats and you can get it in a automatic, stronger rear diff., very stealthy ie puffed up Cavalier, if feels and sounds like a slightly better fbody.

I'm not craping on the GTO, but they were in 2 very different segments when new. 30k gto vs. 50k ctsv. They are about the same money today, if you can do a stick, do the V.

It's funny, 4 months after selling the V, my driving in LA was reduced dramatically. I miss my V. With the 408 I built for it, it was a docile d.d. when you wanted it be/ or a beast when you wanted it be. One of my all time favorite cars, and I've owned a shitload of cars.
Old 08-09-2008, 08:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

If you can do it, you might consider meeting up with some of us V owners during the Dream Cruise. Might be two guys there, might be ten ... guess we're a flaky bunch. Check out the thread (by "Jon") on the Caddy forum. We're starting (at least that's the current plan) at Specter Werks in Troy at between 10-11 am, then maybe ... well, just go over there and see.

We're definitely a biased bunch, but you see a variety of people, a variety of experiences, a variety of modded cars, colors, years, etc. Just an option.
Old 08-09-2008, 10:56 PM
Banned

the ls2 gto has different heads and produces less power...they arent the same motor.
why get a detuned corvette motor? when u can have the corvette plus seating for 5.
Old 08-09-2008, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by OHSIXCTSV
the ls2 gto has different heads and produces less power...they arent the same motor.
why get a detuned corvette motor? when u can have the corvette plus seating for 5.
Rookies.... same heads, different valves. They both make very similar power.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Excellent feedback, thank you!

I'll definitely be around during the Dream Cruise, I live 3 blocks off Woodward between 11 & 12 mile.

Pro's for the V: much more solid car, quieter, stops waaaaayyyy better, handles better, highly optioned, better fuel economy than the a4 GTO, did I mention brakes??? The car feels and is more solid.

Pro's for the GTO: has better seats and you can get it in a automatic, stronger rear diff., very stealthy ie puffed up Cavalier, if feels and sounds like a slightly better fbody.

I'm not craping on the GTO, but they were in 2 very different segments when new. 30k gto vs. 50k ctsv. They are about the same money today, if you can do a stick, do the V.

It's funny, 4 months after selling the V, my driving in LA was reduced dramatically. I miss my V. With the 408 I built for it, it was a docile d.d. when you wanted it be/ or a beast when you wanted it be. One of my all time favorite cars, and I've owned a shitload of cars.
Old 08-10-2008, 10:38 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by shudog
Excellent feedback, thank you!

I'll definitely be around during the Dream Cruise, I live 3 blocks off Woodward between 11 & 12 mile.
Good fun, I lived in Northville in the mid 90's for a few years.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

My wife and I were trying to decide between a GTO, G8, and CTS-V for her car. We looked very throroughly at all of them, and decided on the V. We've had it for a week, and are extremely happy.

It's her daily driver, and it brings a few things to the table that the GTO didn't: sunroof, navigation, 4 doors, an attempt at styling, etc. I would consider the interiors almost equal, with a slight edge to the V.
Old 08-10-2008, 11:38 AM
Staging Lane

Get the V. I've owned all kinds of cars; Hondas (Accords, 1 CRX), TAs, a LS2 camero and a few Mustangs to name a few. Now that I can afford spending a few more bucks and I travel a great deal. I wanted to go with a luxury/sporty car with room for 4. My manager (who owns a 02 SS Camero LS2), showed me this site and introduced me to the V. This car is amazing! The GTO looks good but it is no comparisson in my eyes!
Old 08-10-2008, 12:29 PM
Banned

Rookies.... same heads, different valves. They both make very similar power.
i was stating different set up with the heads...not hinting towards completely different configs. anyways...like i said, different heads rated at different power do to shittyier vales wich make less flow/pwr...
now peep the flow on my air pump!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHPrKqcHouM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFKwZYNe4-I
Old 08-10-2008, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

looking at the limited modding you plan on doing I'd go with the V if you were planning on more mods I'd say GTO just my .02
Old 08-10-2008, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

ls2 heads = ls6 heads pretty much. its the bigger bore, 90/90 which makes a little more torque
Old 08-10-2008, 05:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by icecream
looking at the limited modding you plan on doing I'd go with the V if you were planning on more mods I'd say GTO just my .02
That's good advice. I posted the exact same thing over on the GTO forum and several guys said to go with the CTS-V also. Only reason to go with the GTO was to save some cash and put it toward engine & suspension mods and build a great car. Sounds like the CTS-V is already a great car!
Old 08-10-2008, 05:45 PM
Banned

ur deciding over 2 different cars in different segments... how did this all begin?
i could see if u were like what to do about an 02 BMW M5 or 06 CADILLAC CTS-V...
??? GTO ??? a base 08 cts would be a better choice. u want muscle?..lift weights.
u want road head? get a cts-v
me? i got both. ha! 1 gun son!
Old 08-12-2008, 08:43 PM
Teching In

Ive had both 05 gto and currently 05 ctsv love the V. I absolutly hatted the GTO I felt it was hard to get in and out of passengers in the back complained about how hard it was to get in and out of plus the ride sucked with passangers bottomed out and that blaupuke stereo really sucked. THe V is loaded with lots of standard stuff. As for performance I really like my ls6 in the V dont get me wrong the ls2 is a good motor but im just a fan of the ls6 it seems to respond to mod better. both cars weighed the same the v handles better though and i pretty sure would have outrun my gto. but this is my 2 cents you do what you want.

Quick Reply: Help me decide: GTO or CTS-V?