Carbureted LSX Forum Carburetors | Carbed Intakes | Carb Tuning Tips for LSX Enthusiasts

Gutting out my Tahoe for my El Camino

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gutting out my Tahoe for my El Camino

Hello all I am new to the board. I have a few questions. I am going to began a new project which will be a 84 el camino and I will be taking my Tahoe that is totaled and snatching out my 5.3 ls327.

My questions: Keep in mind I have a complete tahoe with harness, cpu etc etc.

-I am not sure which would be best, carb or FI (fuel injectors). Which is most simple and less cost effective? This will not be a daily driver or a big time track car. Just want something that sounds good but runs good as well (just in case)

-If I go with the carb, will I need my cpu still (swapping tranny with 700r4)?

-If I go with the FI, will I need to change my tank and fuel system on my elco?

I will be working inside out on my engine. so from the crank up I will rebuild. Just trying to see which is best for me and my elky.

any help, pics advice would be appreciated much. Thanks all in advance!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:13 AM
10 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont think you can run a strait carb on these cars, typically you have to keep the fuel injectors and run a TB on top of a carb style setup. I could be wrong but your best bet is to stay fuel injected.

you still need some doner parts off another car, try to find a F-body and get a ls1 intake, TB, harness, Computer, oil pan and accessory brackets, maybe the water pump too.

you can use the harness and computer off the taho but ive heard there not as tunable as a true LS1 ecm, I am not sure on this either though.

you probably wont need to change the tank but you will need a eletric fuel pump
Old 12-01-2011, 06:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

We have an entire subforum on carb'd LS motors. They run real good with carbs. Check out the carb'd section for lots of posts with all the pros and cons of EFI vs. Carb.

Unless your camino already has an electric fuel pump then you will need to modify parts of your fuel system either way. EFI will need a high pressure pump and some type of return line. EFI should also have baffled or sumped tank to keep from uncovering the fuel inlet under hard corners and full throttle. Carbs have a bit of fuel in the bowls so they aren't as sensitive to that as EFI. But for a cruiser you can get away with a non-baffled or sumped tank with EFI. Just keep over half a tank and don't beat on it unless you do.

Spend a bit of time searching carb vs. EFI in the carb'd section. Good opinions in there.
Old 12-01-2011, 11:30 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 82cetuner
you still need some doner parts off another car, try to find a F-body and get a ls1 intake, TB, harness, Computer, oil pan and accessory brackets, maybe the water pump too.
As to what parts would I need? I figure (correct me if I am wrong) If I use all the accessories parts that I am taking off my tahoe, what else will I need besides the ls1 intake. How much rwhp will that generate by itself?

the harness and computer I will look into. I know I will have to change the oil pan also. thanks!

Originally Posted by Pop N Wood
We have an entire subforum on carb'd LS motors. They run real good with carbs. Check out the carb'd section for lots of posts with all the pros and cons of EFI vs. Carb.

Unless your camino already has an electric fuel pump then you will need to modify parts of your fuel system either way. EFI will need a high pressure pump and some type of return line. EFI should also have baffled or sumped tank to keep from uncovering the fuel inlet under hard corners and full throttle. Carbs have a bit of fuel in the bowls so they aren't as sensitive to that as EFI. But for a cruiser you can get away with a non-baffled or sumped tank with EFI. Just keep over half a tank and don't beat on it unless you do.

Spend a bit of time searching carb vs. EFI in the carb'd section. Good opinions in there.
Thanks much I will definitely do more research before I make the decision. Which will be cheaper?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Putting a Carb on it is alot easier and cheaper.just buy a edelbrock intake and msd 6010 and your ready
Old 12-01-2011, 11:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by richard david
Putting a Carb on it is alot easier and cheaper.just buy a edelbrock intake and msd 6010 and your ready
Cool, now will I still need the computer? If so then I might as well keep the EFI and get better gas mileage out of it. right or wrong?
Old 12-01-2011, 11:53 AM
On The Tree

Msd comes with wiring harness that plugs into factory sensors so you don't need the computer or any factory wires
Old 12-01-2011, 11:56 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by richard david
Msd comes with wiring harness that plugs into factory sensors so you don't need the computer or any factory wires
EVEN EFFIN BETTER! I love the carb look anyways.. It gives a old car the vintage look with modern muscle tech.. lol thanks again! Is that the MSD 6010?
Old 12-01-2011, 12:56 PM
Teching In

It depends on the Tahoe motor which MSD you will need . There are several threads here that tell what you need to check . There is one setup for a 24t reluctor and another for a 58t reluctor . The 6010 is for the earlier motors , the newer motors use the 6012 . Good Luck with the project , it sounds like it will be pretty cool .
Old 12-01-2011, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by spd500
It depends on the Tahoe motor which MSD you will need . There are several threads here that tell what you need to check . There is one setup for a 24t reluctor and another for a 58t reluctor . The 6010 is for the earlier motors , the newer motors use the 6012 . Good Luck with the project , it sounds like it will be pretty cool .

This is from a 2001 tahoe (lm7). I just checked and its for the 6010 should work fine. Thanks much!
Old 12-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Teching In

I just ordered the same setup for my jetboat project from Amazon , $556 with free two day shipping . If you watch close here they do come up for sale used , but I didn't want to hold up my project waiting for used parts to come up for sale .

Quick Reply: Gutting out my Tahoe for my El Camino