Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tsnow678
As far as "romping on it" the answer is yes!!! In a straight line on dry pavement with street tires first gear is useless without touching the clutch, second spins for just a bit, and third will let you know you overpowered the tires on the shift. Then its hold on cause the front end is light and we are starting to move on.
For Thanksgiving, can we get a video? This is like reading about a beautiful naked woman. Maybe you should write for Larry Flint.
Old 11-19-2011, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

As far as "romping on it" the answer is yes!!! In a straight line on dry pavement with street tires first gear is useless without touching the clutch, second spins for just a bit, and third will let you know you overpowered the tires on the shift. Then its hold on cause the front end is light and we are starting to move on.
This excites me.
Old 11-20-2011, 06:08 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
For Thanksgiving, can we get a video? This is like reading about a beautiful naked woman. Maybe you should write for Larry Flint.
I will see what I can do! I was sort of holding out for the tune first but I may just get a wild hair and accomodate ya. If I did write for Larry Flint there better be some fringe benefits!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 06:10 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by frojoe
This excites me.
You just wait till yours is on the road! Your in a class way above me with the turbo setup!!! I will say this though, all motor it is fun to drive!!! I couldn't imagine a power adder at this point. I am leaning towards a little spray but the turbo or supercharger is a little much for me at this point.
Old 11-29-2011, 07:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default ls2

T,
Any updates?? How's the A/C setup going?

TC
Old 11-29-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by tango68ss
T,
Any updates?? How's the A/C setup going?

TC
Not a whole lot to update. I did buy a Scan Gauge II to monitor the RPM's, speedometer, water temp, and voltage. Simple little device that plugs into the OBDII connector. It also monitors any codes and allows you to erase them. $160 at Autozone. I haven't taken any pictures of it since I dont have it mounted quite yet. The speedo was dead accurate to my GPS. I am in the middle of purchasing a fuel level gauge and an oil pressure gauge as the gauges I have are crap. Since I am using the Ford fuel pump the ohms range is different than the GM so until I can buy the Dakotas like Futureuser I will "get by". I wanted to post a video of a few blast down the road but noone in my house seems to think it is as important as what they have going on, so no video yet. I tried to mount the camera on the dash via velcro but that was unsuccessful. I am heading to the dyno tuners Tuesday of next week so it might just be a good idea to wait. I have been trying to figure out where to mount the two gauges without junking up my interior. First option was to mount an A-pillar gauge pod. I just cant bring myself to doing that. Also the pillar pod I want was from Anvil and was $300. Might as well buy the Dakota Digital gauges and be done. Then I looked at the dash tonight and figured out I can mount two 2-1/16" gauges in the area where the factory clock would have been. So for now that is my plan.

The A/C system works flawlessly and it is so nice to have heat, air, and defrost. Prolly the best money I have spent on the car.

As soon as I get the results back from the tuners I will post them. I will see if they can shoot some video footage for me as well. They wanted the car on the 7th but were nice enough to let me bring it a day earlier so maybe I can have it back by the weekend. Three days ought to be plenty of time to finish it.
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome tony,can't wait to see what tuner gets out of it!
Old 12-06-2011, 03:47 AM
TECH Addict

Heading down to PCMS4Less today. This will be the first time in three years my car has been out of my sight. Hopefully all goes well and she lays down some impressive numbers. My hopes are to have around 400hp to the wheels. If its higher or lower so be it, as long as its close. This weekend was the last drag race of the season at Farmington Dragway until March 2012. I may see if Mooresville Dragway will be open Friday. If so and the track lets me I will make a few passes.
Old 12-06-2011, 07:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Cool deal man! Can't wait to see some results.....especially from the track if possible. I'm sure you'll be really pleased....good luck!
Old 12-06-2011, 11:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Grrreaat!! I can not wait to hear how she does!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:09 PM
TECH Addict

Well my car is gone for now. Hopefully I will get it back before the weekend. While I was down at PCM 4 Less I had to give the specs of my engine/tranny combination. They sent out this beautiful young lady to take down my information. I was like "oh great a girl". Boy was I surprised, she knew more about LS engines and the whole tuning aspect then I will ever know. If I wasnt married I think I found my soul mate. A chic with the know-how and all the looks. She said they would video the dyno run and send me a link so as soon as I get it I will post. While I was there I watched a Corvette Z06 roll off of the dyno beating the ground, awesome!!!
Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

I sat down with Marktainium for a handful of hours last night and had him show me the tuning ropes... not looking forward to it so kind of jealous you're having someone else do it!! haha

Look forward to the dyno vid
Old 12-06-2011, 09:35 PM
10 Second Club

oh great a girl!
This is what I said when I found out I was going to have a girl. Needless to say, I got in trouble. Later, it turns out she has more guts than my son. I don't think you'll have any trouble getting 400+. The Dakotas are great and I can't believe I spent that cash, but then again, I can't remember ever really knowing what was happening.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:38 PM
10 Second Club

kind of jealous you're having someone else do it!! haha

Yeah, ha-ha. When you figure it out can you show me and snow how to do it?
Old 12-06-2011, 09:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's awesome!
Old 12-07-2011, 03:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by futureuser
The Dakotas are great and I can't believe I spent that cash, but then again, I can't remember ever really knowing what was happening.
You must have had frost bite on your brain during the winter months!

Your still the only one I know of on this forum that started and completed their LS swap in the winter, outside, on grass!!! Your like a mad man on a mission.
Old 12-07-2011, 04:04 AM
TECH Addict

I sat down with Marktainium for a handful of hours last night and had him show me the tuning ropes... not looking forward to it so kind of jealous you're having someone else do it!! haha

Look forward to the dyno vid
As smart as you are, you will prolly open up your own tuner shop after a couple of tries! Yeah I took the easy route out. I didnt spend any more money letting someone else do it is the good thing. PCM4Less said they would even make me up a tune for my car when I decide to spray it. I would need to get the software so I can flip-flop between tunes while I was at the track. Sad when my toolbox will contain a laptop, huh!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

PCM4Less said they would even make me up a tune for my car when I decide to spray it.
Oh yeah!!! Thats what I'm talkin bout!!!

Sad when my toolbox will contain a laptop, huh!!!
It's funny you say that. One of my early thoughts about carbing my LY6 in the 73 was, "man, since I'm carbing it....it'll be nice to finally get to head to the track with a screwdriver instead of a laptop......" But the reality is....I still take the laptop for ignition/2-step changes . Unless I want to pony up the cash for the handheld unit MSD makes, I guess I'll always be toting a laptop, regarless of which car I'm racing.

Be sure to update us AS SOON as you get the car back or get some numbers. We're all anxiously waiting
Old 12-09-2011, 03:51 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks Gary for being patient! Seems as if it will be Tuesday before I will get it back. Alvin Anderson (PCMforless head guy) called me today and gave me some bad news. It seems my LQ4 mixed with L92 heads and the cam I chose has yielded me some lower than expected compression which is making his job a pain in the ***. I am only pulling 6 inches of vacuum at idle which in turn makes the engine load up. If he leans it out it starts to idle rougher than normal. To put it in the safe range A/F ratio it will fatten as it sits. He says it is giving a little burp off idle but other than that it should be fine. I give him the go ahead on finishing it.

Looks like Ol' Tony will start a 408 stroker build after the first of the year with Alvin's recommended 11.25-11.50 compression. With the added cubes the L92's will come out shining. I knew the compression would be down a little and the massive intake ports would lose some velocity but I didnt think it would make this big of a difference. There I go thinking again. I will get the video of the dyno run hopefully in the next few days. Hang with me for a little longer. Sorry for the delay. On the bright side, I will now have another reason to stay on LS1Tech and I will have a shortblock to use in my next project.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

So I assume heads are problem?

Quick Reply: LQ4/T56 into my 69 Camaro