Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2012, 08:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is going to be awesome Rod! Do you have any updated pics to share?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FatfreeGTO
That is going to be awesome Rod! Do you have any updated pics to share?
There still on the camera. Hopefully I can get some of them uploaded in the next couple of days. Lately I have really been focused on getting the car together and ordering parts. There is still a slight chance I could have the car drive-able when the Power Tour stop in Champaign, IL, which is only 100 miles from my house.
Old 05-14-2012, 11:25 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Rocketrod
No problem.....I am just trying payback for all the help I have received from members here. I am also getting ready to post a lot of build of pics with part numbers. Do you have anymore info on the LS7? What is it going in??
I am still in the planning and ordering stage, right now I am looking at putting in a new blueprint crate LS7 from summit with a carb instead of FI. A tremec 5 speed, ford 9 ". Big willwood brakes all around.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jacks996
I am still in the planning and ordering stage, right now I am looking at putting in a new blueprint crate LS7 from summit with a carb instead of FI. A tremec 5 speed, ford 9 ". Big willwood brakes all around.
Sounds like a killer combo! I can't wait to see the build thread. Plan out every last detail as it will only save you time and $$ in the long run.
Old 05-18-2012, 03:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Been a little sidetracked as we are having some landscaping done, once I get the 12x16 deck removed. We are going to have a brick patio with a firepit installed. Well enough of this and onto the car pics.

For starters I ordered a cold air intake kit. After looking at everything I decided to go with the Spectre Muscle Car LS Conversion Intake Kits, Spectre Muscle Car LS Conversion Intake Kits p/n 900239K . I was all excited then I opened the box and this is all I got. Yep, all they sent was the bracket and it was apparent the item had been previously installed??? There were no intake tubes, mounting hardware, filter, couplers, etc. Anyways the bracket doesn't fit my car as I have an over sized radiator so it's going. Its a shame because it seemed like it would have been a nice setup for the $$$. Looks like I may go with an Airaid U-Build it setup, but they are expensive. If anyone has any suggestions let me know.

Old 05-19-2012, 12:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 603 Likes on 479 Posts

Alum. tube. It will be worth the effort IMHO
Old 05-19-2012, 04:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jimbo1367
Alum. tube. It will be worth the effort IMHO
That's the route I will end up going. I am looking at the stuff offered at http://www.frozenboost.com. They are pretty reasonably priced. I just need to find a reducer to adapt the 4" tubing to my maf (one end is 4" the other is 3.7").
Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Spectre 9771 has a 4" tubing coupler that has 2 inserts that reduce down for the MAF or you can remove it and its just a straight 4" tube coupler.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SPE-9771/
Old 05-20-2012, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Converting heater hoses inlet/outlet to AN fittings

Due to clearance issues I converted the water pump heater hose inlet/outlet over to accept AN fittings. After removing the pressed on fitting I tapped each hole. The smaller one is a 3/8" NPT and the larger 1/2" NPT. The larger hole would have tapped a lot easier if I drilled it out to the proper size. Once the hoses were tapped I installed the appropriate size npt to -10an male fittings in the pump. On the heater hoses I am straight -10 socketless hose ends with Gate Power Grip clamps. Here is a pic without the Gates Power Grip clamps installed.

Old 05-20-2012, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

More parts to install. SC&C Stage 2 UCAs, SPC LCAs, Helwig swaybar and SPC ride height shim pack. I will re-use my Hotchkis coils springs and Bilstien shocks. I also ordered a new Strange 3" chromoly drive shaft with 1350 u-joints and a billet yoke from Midwest Chassis.

Old 05-20-2012, 08:26 PM
Launching!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Rocketrod can you tell me how long the yoke is on your new D/S I have an Aluminium shaft to be cut down to fit and the yoke fits my 4l70 but I wasn't sure if it is long enough. Would you also know what style U joint I need weld on the rear to fit my 68 chevelle 10 bolt.

Nice suspention parts too BTW, I have the SPC uppers and they are nice.

Thanks, Tony
Old 05-21-2012, 05:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tmcmillan5
Rocketrod can you tell me how long the yoke is on your new D/S I have an Aluminium shaft to be cut down to fit and the yoke fits my 4l70 but I wasn't sure if it is long enough. Would you also know what style U joint I need weld on the rear to fit my 68 chevelle 10 bolt.

Nice suspention parts too BTW, I have the SPC uppers and they are nice.

Thanks, Tony
I can get you a measurement, but the yoke for the th350, 200r4, 700r4 and 4l60/70 trans are all 27 spline. When you take your measurements for the driveshaft, Denny's Driveshaft - How to measure it will account for your yoke. Hard to say on the u joint. It really depends on the the drive shaft, but you shouldn't have to weld anything on, just get a new u-joint that adapts from your drive shaft and fits your 10 bolt. Whoever is modifying your drive shaft should be asking you these questions before they do anything.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not a lot getting done, but I did manage to spray the drive shaft, trans pan, low mount ac bracket and some other miscellaneous parts. Hopefully I will get a chance to work on the car this weekend.

Old 05-24-2012, 05:37 PM
Teching In

Hey, while you have the trans pan off, now would be a good time to add a drain plug to it.

Riggs
Old 05-24-2012, 07:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Riggs 74
Hey, while you have the trans pan off, now would be a good time to add a drain plug to it.

Riggs
Good idea....got a part number, or would you just recommend I buy a pan that has a drain plug?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:25 PM
Teching In

I bought the B&M drain plug kit http://www.summitracing.com/parts/BMM-80250/?rtype=10 I tac welded the nut on the inside of the pan so I wouldn't have to worry about the nut coming off accidentally when pulling the drain. Just be careful of the placement of the plug in the pan, in relationship to the trans valve body or filter.

If you did by a new pan you could get one like this, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-14204/?rtype=10
I like this because it aids in cooling the fluid.

Riggs
Old 05-24-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you did by a new pan you could get one like this, http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DER-14204/?rtype=10
I like this because it aids in cooling the fluid.

Riggs
I like the fact the Derale pan has port for a temp sending unit. I will probably order one tomorrow
Old 05-25-2012, 02:26 PM
Teching In

Sorry, It's guys like me that add cost to our builds pointing out were money can be spent, it's
easy when it's not your money. LOL. How ever, it would be a great addition to the build. I
also added a temp sender to my stock pan, I want to know when the trans is getting hot, so
I know when to let it cool before I destroy it again.

Riggs
Old 05-25-2012, 04:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sorry, It's guys like me that add cost to our builds pointing out were money can be spent, it's
easy when it's not your money. LOL. How ever, it would be a great addition to the build. I
also added a temp sender to my stock pan, I want to know when the trans is getting hot, so
I know when to let it cool before I destroy it again.

Riggs
No apology needed. I was actually wanting to get new trans pan, but I didn't come across this one when I was looking. If you have any other "suggestions" let me know....lol
Old 05-26-2012, 09:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Messed around in the garage a little today. I made battery cable for starter, fuel line connecting tank to main line, installed oil pressure sending unit and painted the bracket I made to mount my fuse panel and tcm.

Pic of bracket with fuse panel and tcm installed. I made the bracket using 16 gauge metal. This will be mounted to the radiator support on the driver side of the engine bay.

Mock up bracket installed and ecm mounted on radiator support. I'll posted better pics with more detail once they permanently mounted.

Quick Reply: 69 Camaro LS2/4L70E install