Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone charge the vintage air system themself?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone charge the vintage air system themself?

I got my 69 ls1 running, my vintage air is all installed and just needed to be charged.
I looked in my area for someone to trust with it that can do it while I wait with no luck.
I was told evac and charging was B/S and I can do it my myself with a can and 1/2 of re charge...by a pro.
So I bought a can and oil but the instructions say the compressor does not need oil.
Can I just charge it with the cans and purge it a bit to clean it out?
Any opinions welcomed .
Old 05-24-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Doesnt it have instructions?
Old 05-24-2013, 11:27 AM
Teching In

To do it correctly you need to purge it, leak check it, put a vacuum on it, then charge it.

I am a universal tech, however I do not work on car A/C systems lol. And all of the compressors I work on we have to service with oil of some sort. I pretty sure those recharge cans at autozone and whatnot have the oil in them already.

I'm surprised a pro would tell you not to evacuate it. You don't want old freon, oil, debris or worse yet water in there.
Old 05-24-2013, 11:35 AM
Teching In

If you did a LS swap then the A/C system is about as easy as you can get. There are only like 4 components in the A/C system and they are all connected with hoses. I was scared to do mine also but then when I found out how easy it was im glad I learned. Harbour freight has the gauges and vacuum pump which will run you about $100 or so. The cans can be bought the cheapest I have found them at Big Lots believe it or not for like $5 a can. Follow the instructions on your gauges and vacuum and you will be good to go. And from then on you will have friends and neighbors asking you to charge their system. Its as simple as hooking up 2 lines which cant be interchanged and then hooking your air compressor to the vacuum and letting it pull a vacuum to check for leaks for around an hour or so. Then you charge your system based on the outside temperature. Enjoy your cold air. I did exactly this on my ls swapped 86 suburban with the kwik performance high side mount that is the same compressor that vintage air uses.
Old 05-24-2013, 12:32 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much refrigerant does the system require?

Andy1
Old 05-24-2013, 01:32 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 195 Likes on 141 Posts

I would run, not walk away from any 'pro' eho tells you not to evaquate the system. You need to evacquate it to boil out any moisture that is in the system.
Old 05-24-2013, 02:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yes, I would vac it for sure.

With a system install, at some point you have the lines free and open breathing in the air.
In all air, you find moisture that will need to be removed, hence pulling a vac and "boiling" out the water.

If you want to do it once, do it right.

Not to mention if you want to keep that compressor and condenser lasting a long time, you need have a cleaned system.

Not to mention, it will be the only time to check for leaks....easy to have a leak and new aftermarket system.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Make sure your using the correct Oil. For 134a it should be the PAC oil. needs about 3oz in the compressor and 3oz in the Dryer.

Make sure your low and high pressure is within range.. if you wondering how much the High pressure should be. a general rule is the Ambient Temperature x (between 2.3 and 2.6) = High Pressure

so say.. 90* x 2.3 (middle ground) = 207 psi to 234 psi (if 2.6) for the High side..

But you should be checking with Vintage Air to see what they recommend.

This chart might help also

BC
Old 05-24-2013, 04:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

REGARDLESS of where you got the compressor, dump all the oil, and measure the proper amt back in..We've just recently had 3 customers w/508's that had the tag on them, saying oil already in the unit... I can tell you that's BS..All 3 locked up within minutes.

Last edited by Old Geezer; 05-27-2013 at 07:43 AM.
Old 05-24-2013, 07:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ls1nova71
I would run, not walk away from any 'pro' eho tells you not to evaquate the system.

Get it charged at a shop. You can do it yourself, but its not worth the hassle. You won't save any money once you buy the tools to do it properly. Vacuuming the system is essential to ensure longevity and satisfactory performance.

If you insist on doing it yourself, get some gauges and a vacuum pump. Vaccum the system to 30in for at least 10 minutes, then close the ports and let it sit for 10-30 minutes to leak check. If the gauges haven't moved, then you can charge the system with your cans.
Old 05-25-2013, 08:19 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info, I think I will wait until I move to Fl. to have it charged and return the cans.

Quick Reply: Anyone charge the vintage air system themself?