Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel system--choices?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2016, 09:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel system--choices?

Deep into planning for the install of an LS3 into my '67 Impala. Tonight's topic is the fuel system. Fuel tank and pump, specifically. I've done EFI conversions for old school SBC engines in classic cars and used Rock Valley to baffle the stock tanks with great success. This time, looking for something that doesn't cost quite as much and that I can do on my own. Here's the challenge--I'm not a welder. I can barely run a caulk gun let alone melt metal. Some day. So the solution can involve cutting, but welding is off the table.

Searching this site this evening and poking around, the best two options I see are the Aeromotive Stealth or the Tanks Inc in-tank module. Looking for feedback from you all. Any issues with the Aeromotive system? It's been out for a while now--any problems with the foam breaking down or other issues? Does the Tanks Inc unit prevent fuel starvation well--seems like the "fuel tray" is a bit small for a long cloverleaf curve.

Any feedback is appreciated.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

I see that TANKS INC have a tank for $300 all set up for F.I. You could also buy there pump for about $200. As far as the fuel lines go I recommend Dorman nylon lines.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:50 AM
Teching In

Thanks, 33willys. Tanks has a non-efi tank for the '67 impala but their EFI tank stops at '66 (at least on the website). I'll call them to see if there is a major difference between '67 and '66.

I read several threads last night about the Dorman plastic lines. Definitely sounds like a good option, but I need to learn more about the flaring tool and connectors. Never used the stuff and I don't do this often enough to offset the cost of an expensive tool. Would be grateful to hear your experiences with it.

THANKS
Old 12-08-2016, 11:22 AM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Copper-nickel lines (3/8") work well too. I bought a 37 degree flare tool to make them work with my AN fittings. Nylon is cheap and you can probably get most of the fittings cheap at a junk yard. You can make your own nylon/Dorman tool out of a caulk gun...link is somewhere on here (someones build).
Have you considered keeping the stock fuel tank and dropping in a OEM GM fuel bucket? Only issue people run into is bucket height/trunk floor clearance. Some have cut holes in trunk and others have welded in a recess on top of the tank.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm using a tanks inc efi tank from a 72 el camino for my 66 impala wagon project. Not close to having the car running but the tank and sending unit appear to be built extremely well. Also I bought 4 lengths of 6ft stainless hardline from McMaster Carr along with a 37 degree flaring tool and that's what I plan to plumb the fuel system, along with a c5 fuel regulator.

Sending a tank out to be converted for efi just seems to be a total hassle.
Old 12-08-2016, 03:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts

Default Fuel system

I really like the nylon fuel lines. On Ebay I got a Dorman tool for about $65 but have used it on at least 4 cars. Used to use brake line but this is easier to run with lots less fittings. With the fuel additives today you have few options when it comes to fuel lines. Rubber is OUT due to pressure and additives. If you use brake lines then you need a short piece of expensive fuel injection rubber hose at the engine, pump and filter. I like to use an in-tank pump and have found an '88 Camaro unit to work fine. They cost about $60 and stocked at all parts store in case you need a replacement on a trip.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:16 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by reedld
Copper-nickel lines (3/8") work well too. I bought a 37 degree flare tool to make them work with my AN fittings. Nylon is cheap and you can probably get most of the fittings cheap at a junk yard. You can make your own nylon/Dorman tool out of a caulk gun...link is somewhere on here (someones build).
Have you considered keeping the stock fuel tank and dropping in a OEM GM fuel bucket? Only issue people run into is bucket height/trunk floor clearance. Some have cut holes in trunk and others have welded in a recess on top of the tank.
Thanks for the thoughts. I'm really trying to avoid any welding as I don't have that skill and am too new in my area to know people who do. And most welding shops don't want to touch a gas tank.

I read about the GM fuel buckets, but the Impala tank is really shallow--like 7". As you state, it will need clearance to the trunk pan which means welding in a recessed section which then makes it too shallow.
Old 12-08-2016, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
I'm using a tanks inc efi tank from a 72 el camino for my 66 impala wagon project. Not close to having the car running but the tank and sending unit appear to be built extremely well. Also I bought 4 lengths of 6ft stainless hardline from McMaster Carr along with a 37 degree flaring tool and that's what I plan to plumb the fuel system, along with a c5 fuel regulator.

Sending a tank out to be converted for efi just seems to be a total hassle.

Yes--the Tanks Inc EFI tanks look very appealing. But they don't have one for a '67 Impala. I talked to them today and they *think* the '66 P/N will fit, but the fill tube will need to be extended and re-angled. Need to do some more research on that.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Interesting. Wonder why they would change the fuel tank from 66 to 67, but the wagon fuel tank P/N is the same from 65-70
Old 12-08-2016, 10:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I created a nylon fuel fitting tool and documented it here. The Dorman nylon fuel line works well and I've done full lengths with it and had no problems.

I have also been using 3/8" NiCopp for fuel line because it's flexible, heat and abrasion resistant, easy to bend and very affordable. I use a hydraulic flare tool and create my own quick disconnect flares on the ends.

Both options work well, are very affordable and don't require silly conversion adapters or expensive race car AN fittings and braided line.
Old 12-09-2016, 11:06 AM
On The Tree

Here's my solution with Dorman fittings and a press made from a caulk gun. It was actually one of the easier parts of my project once I got started on it.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...67-camaro.html
Old 12-09-2016, 11:08 PM
Teching In

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
Interesting. Wonder why they would change the fuel tank from 66 to 67, but the wagon fuel tank P/N is the same from 65-70
Wagon tanks had a different shape and placement, with filler neck coming out the side, not the rear. I don't think there were any changes to be made that could have been anything other than superficial.

The 65 and 66 tank are close to being the same as each other, with the only difference being they moved the hole for the pickup/sender unit from the front (65) to the top (66).

Regarding the 66 v 67 tank - the 67 tank holds an additional 4 gallons, and I believe that comes from added length. The width is the same (or very close), but the 67 tank is a little longer, front to back.

This will mean the 66 tank should fit in the same space, but it won't sit as snug on the braces on the underside of the trunk. Definitely find someone with a 66 tank to measure the dimensions just to be sure if you plan to go that way

I put a Tanks Inc kit into my stock 67 Impala tank recently.

I did a write up on my build thread: https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...l#post19428104

After now installing it in the car, I have a few added thoughts that might be relevant.

Where I installed the kit, on the flattest part of tank, is, when the tank is installed, right under the body brace, and sits directly behind the mounting bracket. I decide to cut a piece of the brace out to ensure the supply outlets don't hit it.

The Tanks Inc kit requires a minimum depth of 6". The 67 Impala tank where I installed the kit is 6.5". Because of this, I wasn't able to install a recess to lower the kit and keep it from hitting the floor. (like how their EFI ready tanks are).

I'm not sure what the minimum depth of the Aeromotive Phantom kit is, but you said you didn't want something that required welding, so it's not an issue anyway.

I installed some rubber straps on top of the tank to keep it from hitting the underside, but it still needed some clearance. Because of adding that rubber, I had to buy longer bolts for mounting the tank straps.

I haven't had the car running yet, so I have no info on how well it performs.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:39 AM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is another option you can look into-

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-130
Old 12-12-2016, 02:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 567 Likes on 353 Posts

The other one is the Aeromotive EFI conversion with a universal foam baffling system.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027...VD0aAs9-8P8HAQ
Old 12-12-2016, 03:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by ryeguy2006a
The other one is the Aeromotive EFI conversion with a universal foam baffling system.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Aeromotive/027...VD0aAs9-8P8HAQ
I don't have a long time using this but it was a super easy conversion. Pretty quiet.

Name:  711FA443-274A-4791-97B6-3ACB0444ABF1_zpszd4v2ofa.jpg
Views: 474
Size:  210.4 KB

Name:  1126B145-0D93-419B-9362-2C378EE258C4_zpsz10xog9z.jpg
Views: 467
Size:  208.4 KB
Old 12-12-2016, 05:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

If you end up going with braided lines, make sure you go teflon coated . You will need it for today's crappy fuel. Also if you go corvette filter/reg, don't cheap out. Go gm or wix . There have been problems with the cheaper alternatives.
Old 12-12-2016, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by 130fe
Here is another option you can look into-

https://www.holley.com/products/fuel...e/parts/12-130
That Holley set up is nice with the hydromat!
Old 12-12-2016, 06:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by jimmyg
If you end up going with braided lines, make sure you go teflon coated . You will need it for today's crappy fuel. Also if you go corvette filter/reg, don't cheap out. Go gm or wix . There have been problems with the cheaper alternatives.

Good advice on the lines- cheap braided lines will smell like gas if the car is garaged.

Quick Reply: Fuel system--choices?