Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are Stock LS1 Power Steering Pumps Garbage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005, 06:47 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are Stock LS1 Power Steering Pumps Garbage?

My local GM dealership told me stock LS1 pumps are garbage because they do not pump enough fluid, overheat, and are prone to failure.

The pump on LS1 has some residue around the front seal and I was going to replace the whole thing. My pulley has a hairline crack too.

Is this true? Any recommendations for an aftermarket?
Old 01-03-2005, 09:04 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

eh, compared to the old SBC pumps... yea... they're more prone to failure... the old pumps had the pump submerged in fluid... with the new ones the fluid is in a seperate reservoir so the pump runs hotter...

they arnt garbage, they work.... they just have a higher failure rate... so a place like a dealership or a shop that has the potential for 1000s of cars to show up with problems, would notice somthing like that.....

jsut get a regular replacement one if somthign goes wrong.. there arnt any aftermarket replacement pumps... you would have to get a diffrent pump and fabriacate some brackets if you really wanted to change it....
Old 01-04-2005, 05:54 AM
TECH Apprentice

Turn One did modifications to the ASA car pumps and you might try AGR as well.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:41 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
jsut get a regular replacement one if somthign goes wrong.. there arnt any aftermarket replacement pumps... you would have to get a diffrent pump and fabriacate some brackets if you really wanted to change it....
Bzzzt...wrong. I'm running a Turn One as 5.3 Racer posted, a little more steering effort at idle w/ the car stationary but otherwise it's great. Cured my PS fluid boil-over on road courses, also.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Staging Lane

Anybody have the website for turnone?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Addict

Turn One Performance Steering Systems
989-652-0216
Ask for Jeff
Old 01-04-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

WS6 and SS cars came stock with power steering coolers. It would be intresting to see if they have a lower failure rate than non cooled. If you don't have a cooler there are many aftermarket oil coolers that can be used for PS cooling.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

I did some reading on frrax.com and saw air/fluid coolers weren't generally doing the trick in road racing conditions. 30+ minutes of continuous stress puts a load on things.

No data on the GM fluid/fluid cooler, and it would come close to hitting my 3rd gen fans anyway, so I went for the sure thing and upgraded the pump.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We write 900 GM warranty repair orders per month, we see very few F bodies still under base warranty but I can tell you that the history/failure rate on these pumps is very low, much lower than the trucks and SUVs. I can't even remember the last time we replaced one. Keep in mind that this is under 36 months and 36k miles and that I really don't have good solid numbers on high mileage units. For my street rod I'm using the OEM pump.......I don't race anymore.
Old 01-06-2005, 12:30 PM
Staging Lane

I took the opportunity to talk to Jeff and I'll briefly summarize what he said-

-The stock pump has trouble staying alive above 6000 RPM

-A stock pump has all the pressure and flow it is ever going to have by 1200 RPMs at the pump: 2.6 GPM of flow at 1250-1350 PSI

-An orfice in the pump output fitting controls the flow. The pump has capacity up to something like 6 GPH. You can bump the flow by increasing the orfice about 20% in area (not diameter)

-If you need a pump that will live past 6000 RPM, he'll build you an aluminum one with a bearing on the drive shaft that will work to 7000 RPM for about $200

-He likes to see a suction hose at AN-10 size.
Old 01-06-2005, 01:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

a 25% underdrive crank pulley will help slow down accessory speed and prolong life, more power.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:51 PM
Teching In

Default LS1 Pump - Steeroids

I am installing a 2000 LS1 in a 71 vette. I decided to go with the Steeroids rack and pinion. I spoke to APSC (Auto Power steering components) They are the folks, as I understand it that did the rack for Steeroids. So, I am going to change out the pressure relief valve to step down the pressure.

They told me that the LS1 pump puts out ~1500psi, the 71 vette pump around 1200psi and that the rack is built to handle ~1250. I am posting this because I looked for a few months to try to find this data somewhere. Hopefully, it'll help someone else out.

Ken
Old 01-07-2005, 07:55 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by kenshaffer
I am installing a 2000 LS1 in a 71 vette. I decided to go with the Steeroids rack and pinion. I spoke to APSC (Auto Power steering components) They are the folks, as I understand it that did the rack for Steeroids. So, I am going to change out the pressure relief valve to step down the pressure.

They told me that the LS1 pump puts out ~1500psi, the 71 vette pump around 1200psi and that the rack is built to handle ~1250. I am posting this because I looked for a few months to try to find this data somewhere. Hopefully, it'll help someone else out.

Ken
you wouldnt happen to know what the norm for a saginaw power steering pump is...
your post made me curious... my LS1s PS pump is going into the stock 3rdgen powersteering box... i wonder if the steering is going to feel lighter.
Old 01-07-2005, 08:46 AM
TECH Addict

you wouldnt happen to know what the norm for a saginaw power steering pump is...
your post made me curious... my LS1s PS pump is going into the stock 3rdgen powersteering box... i wonder if the steering is going to feel lighter.
My steering felt the same w/ the stock LS1 pump as it did w/ the former stock L98 pump. Once you hit the gearbox flow limit, adding more pump volume doesn't change things...just makes the pump recirculate more and build heat in the fluid.

It's possible, but I don't know for sure, that the old recirc-ball gearboxes require less fluid volume than rack 'n pinion. This would explain why my stock LS1 PS pump was boiling over so violently on road courses. Most stock LS1s that race w/ me get some minor spooging (unless they add a cooler) and some spitting on the exhaust manifold, minor nuisance. Mine puked bigtime and left a smoke trail...soon as it cooled down and I refilled it, it was fine.

I tried flushing and refilling w/ Valvoline synth PS fluid, same thing. Flushed and refilled w/ Redline synth, same thing. Amsoil ATF did slightly better but I finally gave up and swapped in a Turn One pump...problem killed.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:51 AM
Teching In

By Saginaw - do you mean 3rd gen vette? I was told it's around 1200psi.

I originally set mine up this way. LS1 pump - 71 PSCV. I couldn't get the valve to balance, it was WAY too twitchy. THen it started leaking from the center seal. So, I started looking at the pressures. Then, I decided to get rid of all that old leaky '50s design and put the rack on it, while I had the car apart. Can't wait to get it back together.

Ken
Old 01-07-2005, 12:14 PM
TECH Junkie

By Saginaw - do you mean 3rd gen vette? I was told it's around 1200psi.

I originally set mine up this way. LS1 pump - 71 PSCV. I couldn't get the valve to balance, it was WAY too twitchy. THen it started leaking from the center seal. So, I started looking at the pressures. Then, I decided to get rid of all that old leaky '50s design and put the rack on it, while I had the car apart. Can't wait to get it back together.

Ken
i dont know for sure what the 3rdgen vette uses... im just talking about the pump that GM put on SBCs from the 70s thru the 80s and into the 90s.

its the one that looks like this:
Attached Thumbnails Are Stock LS1 Power Steering Pumps Garbage?-pump.jpg  
Old 01-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Teching In

i dont know for sure what the 3rdgen vette uses... im just talking about the pump that GM put on SBCs from the 70s thru the 80s and into the 90s.

its the one that looks like this:
Looks like the same one to me, and I bet it is, but I'm not sure either. I wonder why they boosted the output on the LS1 pumps??? Hmmm.. GM Go figure.

Ken
Old 02-02-2005, 11:46 AM
Teching In

Hey Ken,

Thanks for the tip. I've got a steeroids rack and pinion in my 69 Camaro but haven't got the ls1 in yet and this info will help greatly. Thanks.

Mike

Ken
Old 02-02-2005, 11:57 AM
Teching In

Default Steeroids

You're welcome.

How do you like the steeroids rack? I installed mine, but my car is a long ways from drivable, at this point.

Ken
Old 02-04-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Can An LS1 P.S. Pump Be Regulated Down In Pressure?

Like a Delco/Saginaw pump can? Are there pressure springs that can be swapped, etc...? Thanks, Gar

Quick Reply: Are Stock LS1 Power Steering Pumps Garbage?