Conversions & Swaps LSX Engines in Non-LSX Vehicles
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ok all you 3rd gen swoppers need help.

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ok all you 3rd gen swoppers need help.

ok the time has come that i should have guages set up ahah ive been driving now with no idea of speed or if oil pressure is correct water temp nada and voltage hahaha ya theres an alternator... and id also like to get a tack somehow if posable.. this is in a 1986 iroc that had a tpi engine so all the guages are electronic and i do have a wire for the oil pressure, voltage, tach and water temp already in the engine bay but i was just wondering how to hookem up withouhgt any sensorsor if there are any places in the block i can put he sensors to hook up my guages. as of right now the engine is doing a great job of keeping itself going so im not too worried and i keep cheking with my piromiter but its a good investment to get them going again i think thanks guys all imput please even as far as aftermarket units. but id like to keep stock guages. thanks again
Old 06-03-2005, 05:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to my world, lol. Water temp i dont even know if it works, Tach doesnt work, oil pressure doesnt work...but I do know how fast im going, if i have gas and a voltmeter. Do you have a modified harness or are you going to try and do it yourself? I wish I could help but im kinda in the dark with this stuff as much as you are, so TTT for ya.
Old 06-03-2005, 06:18 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I installed a '98 temp sender in the passenger side head and used its gauge pin to feed my stock temp gauge.

Volts are volts, no sending unit needed there.

I connected the LS1 oil pressure sending unit to my stock gauge and it works fine.

For the tach I used the LS1 PCM's output for traction control, that put my tach at 50% off but working. The new version of LS1Edit has a fix for this, I'm running a modded binary now and my tach is accurate.

The pinouts for these are in the Helms or maybe the FAQ sticky above.
Old 06-03-2005, 07:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crainholio
I installed a '98 temp sender in the passenger side head and used its gauge pin to feed my stock temp gauge.

Volts are volts, no sending unit needed there.

I connected the LS1 oil pressure sending unit to my stock gauge and it works fine.

For the tach I used the LS1 PCM's output for traction control, that put my tach at 50% off but working. The new version of LS1Edit has a fix for this, I'm running a modded binary now and my tach is accurate.

The pinouts for these are in the Helms or maybe the FAQ sticky above.
So you made a direct connectiom for the oil pressure and water temp to the wire that feeds the guages right behind the guage pod? If so which ones were they? I have a diagram but I dont know if its right or not because it could be different from year to year/firebird to camaro. I would do that if I could confirm which wires where which.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:06 AM
Launching!

great help gues i am looking at how to install a temp sending unit... you mentioned using a 98 sender and in the passenger head but where?? haha ive looked up and down and maybe its just my tired eyes from trian to get this thing done but im not seeing a hole to thread a sender into or are they different on the 98 and use the frost plug on the front of the head???? as far as the volts go I had a brown wire that went to the alt from the guages that was pluged into the 2 pin connector on the older alternators... plug had red and brown wires... the oil pressure i just put a junksion connector on the '02 brown wire and it seemed to give a reading but a little low i believe as the factory guages were reading 50 lbs pressure before i took everything apart and now i am only getting 30lbs well 200 kpa sorry (canadian) but now have volts (more accurate) oil pressure and will soon have temp i hope thats all im really worried about hahaha the pOpO will pull me over if im going to fast obviously so till then ooops hahahaha but i will see what i can find out about the tach situation and see if my parts car even had tration controle i dont believe it did so im SOL there. but thanks anyways if i could be of any help please ask. BTW I built my own wirring harness out of my parts car so its a mashift factory harness.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by bifster
great help gues i am looking at how to install a temp sending unit... you mentioned using a 98 sender and in the passenger head but where??
There's an allen-head plug in the pass side head just rear of the rear-most exhaust manifold bolt hole. The plug looks more like a bolt, has a shoulder instead of being flush w/ the head surface.

Sending unit for a '98 F-car w/ V8 is what you want, and I got a connector hood from the dealer also.

You're right about the 3rd gen oil pressure gauge reading low, same here and on the others I checked with. Nothing to worry about, you're looking for variation not accuracy...you see 30psi now, as long as you keep seeing 30psi you're fine. I dug thru the entire '01 and '88 Helms manuals looking for specs on the oil pressure sending units but found none, evidently they're slightly different.
Old 06-04-2005, 06:15 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
So you made a direct connectiom for the oil pressure and water temp to the wire that feeds the guages right behind the guage pod? If so which ones were they? I have a diagram but I dont know if its right or not because it could be different from year to year/firebird to camaro. I would do that if I could confirm which wires where which.
Yup. I added a wire into the LS1 harness for the '98 coolant temp sender gauge wire.

The 3rd gen chassis side wires for temp and oil pressure are in either C100 or C207 so check your diagrams at those two connectors. The pin locations vary by year, so my '88 diagram doesn't help much.
Old 06-04-2005, 01:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by crainholio
Yup. I added a wire into the LS1 harness for the '98 coolant temp sender gauge wire.

The 3rd gen chassis side wires for temp and oil pressure are in either C100 or C207 so check your diagrams at those two connectors. The pin locations vary by year, so my '88 diagram doesn't help much.
Yea thats the problem...I dont want to be cutting wires unless im sure its the right ones. I wish there were someway I could test the wire to make sure its the right one.
Old 06-05-2005, 02:16 AM
Launching!

you can test the wires if u have power to the car... if the car has power for the guages i can gtound the wires and the guages will flicker dont ground tooo long as its not good for the guages haha oops 2 guages later but ya the temp guages in my 1986 iroc is green (single wire) and the oil pressure is light bronw like the 2002 harness on the sensor... Has anyone used anything else for the tack tho??? im lost im wondering of the negative side of a coil or will that only be 1/8 of the RPM??? i dont know how many pulses the tack recieved originally from the distributor???
Old 06-05-2005, 08:05 AM
TECH Addict

Has anyone used anything else for the tack tho??? im lost im wondering of the negative side of a coil or will that only be 1/8 of the RPM???
If you pull an individual coil output you'll get an even less usable signal than what the PCM generates. Is reusing the PCM's traction control output not possible in your case?

dont know how many pulses the tack recieved originally from the distributor???
It's generally enough just to say an 8 cylinder signal. The LS1 PCM outputs a 4cyl signal by default, you can up it to 8 either w/ a Baker or Dakota blackbox or with the upcoming version of LS1-Edit. Baker may even be selling an all-in-one box that kills VATS, fixes the tach signal, etc.
Old 06-05-2005, 11:57 PM
Launching!

no the car i bought didnt have traction controle in it so i dont even have that pin out to work with sorry i forgot to mention that but yah i was thinkin of using the ecm tack signal but havent been studiing my wirring diagrams for the past week and have too look up or figure out witch one it is... i am using the factory harness so i have the bcm in the car with all the conectors that came in with it so i can hook it up asap when i find the colors. Now reading your reply again you say the ecm puts out a 4cyl signal what wire do u know??? ( 2002 ls1 and 4l60e f-body) btw if you know thanks. And i dont have the funds now to order LS1 edit I will have to wait a while to do that but sooner than later i hope.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:09 AM
TECH Addict

The PCM generates an engine RPM signal whether it has traction control or not, so it should be there for you.

I did a quick dig on the LS1 Swap FAQ linked above https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversions-swaps/312119-ls1-swap-faqs.html and found this:

C105 pin G WHT PCM 10 Tach out to Brake Control Module

There's a lot of good info posted here if you get good w/ the Advanced Search feature.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:16 AM
TECH Apprentice

Good stuff guys.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:53 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

double post

Last edited by TJ; 06-07-2005 at 10:08 PM.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:56 PM
TJ
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 92CamaroReallySlow
Yea thats the problem...I dont want to be cutting wires unless im sure its the right ones. I wish there were someway I could test the wire to make sure its the right one.
oil pressure wire should be TAN in color.
temp will be green(dark) 90-92 may have a white stripe, i cant remember.

good luck.
Old 06-07-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TJ
oil pressure wire should be TAN in color.
temp will be green(dark) 90-92 may have a white stripe, i cant remember.

good luck.
Yea I will have to check that out. I hooked them up in the engine bay, but Im not getting anything, so they might be the wrong wire. Although Im not sure on the water temp, I havent really warmed it up to know yet. The water temp is where it should be as if its not started to warm up yet, so im not sure if I just havent run it long enough to warm it up or its not working. Probably the latter.
Old 06-10-2005, 03:57 PM
Launching!

ok now i have everything thing runnning I guess I should get to the diagnostic part hahaha I have the port out of the parts car and i was just wondering if anyone knows what wires need to be hooked up??? i have the wirring diagram from the dealer and it looks like all i need is the serial data wire but i guess for the tunners to get power i need the 12v 25amp wire hooked up to and well im at it ground isnt hard but what about the black wire with the white stripe????? does anyone know anything about it does it have to be hooked up to run the tuners properly????

Quick Reply: ok all you 3rd gen swoppers need help.