Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The G-Body Swap Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2010, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 81 el camino

Originally Posted by robbyredneck
i'm running dbw but i am using the donor tac pedal harness and pcm. i read enough threads prior to my swap to make sure i got all. do some diggin there are tons of what fits with what threads. my hood closes fine with truck intake dbw and alternator. the turbo.... thats a different story.
What pedal are u running what is it from?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:20 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

2003 yukon denali lq4 with pcm,tac and pedal assembly.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:59 AM

Default 81 el camino

2003 yukon denali lq4 with pcm,tac and pedal assembly.
Can u show me pic of ur pedal because the one I have for a chevy silverado its to big for my car I want see how u mounted yours thanks
Old 12-29-2010, 12:01 PM
TECH Regular

yeah if i can get at it (buried in mother in laws garage). you have to cut and weld a lot. it took me about ten tries to get it the way i wanted it. it also had the pedal height motor on it so it was f-in huge.
Old 12-29-2010, 09:46 PM
On The Tree

I'm working on preliminary plans for our 88 SS. We're looking at running a GMPP LS376/515 with corvette accessories (if the corvette ac compressor will work, other wise going to a top mount system) mated to an Art Carr 200-4R, and I'm having trouble figuring out what motor mounts should be used to accomplish these goals:
The air conditioning needs to be retained. I've been looking at different headers trying to find what will clear the heater box, but I haven't seen a definitive set up to make this work.

We will most likely be using a GForce notched crossmember to allow for dual exhaust. Worst case scenario, we can just use the manifolds that come on the motor as long as air can be kept. Anyone with success in doing this, please share your setup.

Is anyone running a carbed motor with a stock hood? I'm guessing it's not possible based on the height of the single plane intake.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:23 AM
11 Second Club

Received 131 Likes on 102 Posts

I'm in the middle of putting my 408/T56 setup into my 1984 Monte Carlo SS..alot of Suspension and other mods going into it too.
Old 12-30-2010, 08:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by NBM-WU8
I'm working on preliminary plans for our 88 SS. We're looking at running a GMPP LS376/515 with corvette accessories (if the corvette ac compressor will work, other wise going to a top mount system) mated to an Art Carr 200-4R, and I'm having trouble figuring out what motor mounts should be used to accomplish these goals:
The air conditioning needs to be retained. I've been looking at different headers trying to find what will clear the heater box, but I haven't seen a definitive set up to make this work.

We will most likely be using a GForce notched crossmember to allow for dual exhaust. Worst case scenario, we can just use the manifolds that come on the motor as long as air can be kept. Anyone with success in doing this, please share your setup.

Is anyone running a carbed motor with a stock hood? I'm guessing it's not possible based on the height of the single plane intake.
I retained the AC but I also made my own mounts and am still running the manifolds as of now! I also used all f body accesories with no modifications. I have a build thread posted but the pictures won't show back up till after the first of the year. You can access my pictures from photobucket.com and search for carfreak07

Originally Posted by the_merv
I'm in the middle of putting my 408/T56 setup into my 1984 Monte Carlo SS..alot of Suspension and other mods going into it too.
Pictures or it isn't happening! Lol pics please
Old 12-30-2010, 04:04 PM
Launching!

Default Custom Headers

Just wanted to post the results of the custom stainless headers I had made for my 86 Monte SS.

I couldnt Use the BRP style because of column shift linkage issues and also I wanted to make sure I had plenty of room around other areas since I used John Bs mounts.

Below is a picture of the mock-up I derived from pictures I used from others that posted on the board and below that, the end result in 16GA 304 stainless, 1 7/8 primary.

The main items I wanted to and have achieved are:

1. Clear all obstructions (Z-bar, shift linkage, frame, control arms, Spark plug wires etc.)
2. Be able to slip them in without removing items or jacking up the engine.

3. Have bolt hole flanges for easy removal

4. Have O2 bung provisions for ECU and Wideband.

5. Make them stainless

[

Last edited by 2Aspire; 12-30-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:50 PM
TECH Regular

very six million dollar man or mortuary bone thieve of you. beautifully done . you should market these.
Old 12-30-2010, 06:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where have you guys been mounting the pcm? I would like to have it somewhat hidden. Pics would be nice.
Old 12-30-2010, 10:45 PM
sawzall wielding director

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

2Aspire: I`m not sure I want to know how much time or $ you have in those. But I sure want a set..

How low do they hang? looks like they would hang below the k-member.
Old 12-30-2010, 11:48 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by G-Body
How low do they hang? looks like they would hang below the k-member.
The driver side does hang below the crossmember but that was necessary to get around the linkage without issues.

I dont intend to make it a low rider and the CTS-V pan was already below the crossmember so not really a big deal..
Old 12-31-2010, 12:38 AM
Launching!

very six million dollar man or mortuary bone thieve of you. beautifully done . you should market these.
Just to be clear I do not intend to market these.. This was a one of effort to fulfil my specific needs/desires.

While the design is similiar in appearance, every inch was done by eyeball directly on my vehicle and I assure you it is very different to not only fulfill my desire to have a set of stainless headers but ones that fit exactly to my specifications and clear all the items I mentioned before.

I was also looking at Johns effort (pic below) as a possible starting point but it was wayyyy too much of a geometry lesson for my taste as it looks to me that one of his goals was to have equal lengths. Also I opted not to use his effort as a starting point as it probably would have been a more difficult task to clear the Z-bar in my column shift..

Old 12-31-2010, 01:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Those headers you built are absolutely beautiful. What's the second bung on the d/s header for? A/F gauge?

I'm going with the BRP mounts and a set of F-body Pacesetters. I bought the cheap painted ones so I can beat them up cut and weld without having to worry about ruining a nice set of headers. I'll coat them later on. Also swapping my A/C box for a heater only box but I first have to fix the hole that UPS decided to create.

I think I asked this question in here before, but is everyone that's using an in-tank pump, using a stock un-modified fuel tank from an EFI G-body? I've heard people having problems with aftermarket replacement tanks not venting properly. I'd hate to have to cut into my tank if I can buy a cheaper factory tank from a junkyard.
Old 12-31-2010, 02:09 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 01cherryreds10
Those headers you built are absolutely beautiful. What's the second bung on the d/s header for? A/F gauge?.

Thanks.. I did do the PVC mock up but had a shop do the finished work based on my PVC model.. The second bung if for a wideband.. So yes A/F gauge..

I think I asked this question in here before, but is everyone that's using an in-tank pump, using a stock un-modified fuel tank from an EFI G-body? I've heard people having problems with aftermarket replacement tanks not venting properly. I'd hate to have to cut into my tank if I can buy a cheaper factory tank from a junkyard.
I purchased a used 4.3 Monte FI tank for $50.00 that had the Baffling off of the MonteCarloss.com site..

Used a walbro in place of the stock FI pump
Old 12-31-2010, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Ah ok. I've asked around other forums and could really never get a clear answer. I guess I'll have to try the tank myself and if it doesn't want to vent and the gas pump keeps shutting off, I'll have my answer
Old 12-31-2010, 10:26 AM
Launching!

Ah ok. I've asked around other forums and could really never get a clear answer. I guess I'll have to try the tank myself and if it doesn't want to vent and the gas pump keeps shutting off, I'll have my answer

Sorry I really didnt give you a straight answer.. This thread pretty much sums up why I didnt use an aftermarket.. Hope this helps..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...tank-fast.html
Old 12-31-2010, 07:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Yeah that's the exact problem. Well I guess I have to modify the tank before I paint it. No big deal the thing I'm worried about is metal shavings getting in the tank where I can't get them out. It looks like a 90° in the tank, with a rubber hose, going to another 90° elbow in the filler neck is the fix.

Appreciate the link though I never even thought about searching here for it.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

YES! I think I found the thread G-body was talking about on here.

http://www.elcaminocentral.com/showp...1&postcount=19

Old 12-31-2010, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Those headers look freaking sweet. I'll keep them in mind if I find/do another LS monte. I cut up the pacesetter f-body headers for the SS monte I'm doing now. Turned out pretty nice, but a big fail in comparisson to yours.

Quick Reply: The G-Body Swap Thread