Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aluminum wire for battery relocation???

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Aluminum wire for battery relocation???

Just curious if anyone has used aluminum wire for their battery relocation. I have some from doing some service entrances on houses. If it's good for a 200 amp entrance I can't see why it wouldn't work in a car. It would be way lighter and cheaper. Any feedback out there?
Old 04-06-2009, 07:49 PM
TECH Regular

I think you have to beware of corrosion with aluminum wire more so then copper. But im sure it will work.. I personaly would not use it
Old 04-06-2009, 08:02 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If I was relocating I sure as hell would. You want
some of the anti-corrosion glop that electricians
(the careful ones) use, and a copper block at the
ends. I have a big tube of the stuff in the shed
somewhere, used about 2 squirts when I put in
a transfer panel one time. You want an adrenaline
rush, try rewiring the 200A service hot.

For the ground side you could also just use plain
1/2" aluminum rod, or flat, bare. Ground is ground.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:05 PM
12 Second Club

I personally would not... I don't think it has as good of conductivity so I wouldn't be sure about your rating. Regular wire is not that expensive, and when you're running that length of wire I don't think you're going to want to have a problem with resistance that could potentially cause the wiring to catch fire etc... I may be wrong, but just my .02 without being too much of a wiring guru.
Old 04-06-2009, 09:50 PM
TECH Resident

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Aluminum will fatigue at end points and start to break. Copper battery cable is also multi strand to allow flexibility
Old 04-06-2009, 10:11 PM
12 Second Club

Aluminum wire is a VERY BAD idea. They outlawed using it in mobile homes because the wire would heat up and expand, and then cool down and shrink. This resulted in loose connections as well as arching. This caused many fires and many deaths as well. It isn't worth it at all, plus, the weight savings is minimal. That's my .02 worth. Just trying to look out for ya is all.
Old 04-07-2009, 02:03 AM
TECH Regular

To do it you have to run a bigger wire than with copper and the joints never connect as well.I wouldn't do it because of wire size and the other pains it can cause and also no automotive enginer would recommend it.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Texnmissouri69
Aluminum wire is a VERY BAD idea. They outlawed using it in mobile homes because the wire would heat up and expand, and then cool down and shrink. This resulted in loose connections as well as arching. This caused many fires and many deaths as well. It isn't worth it at all, plus, the weight savings is minimal. That's my .02 worth. Just trying to look out for ya is all.
this guy is right.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:24 AM
11 Second Club

you need to remember how the wire conducts the power. The amperage travels on the outer most coating of each strand. This is why you want a big gauge wire with very small strands. this keeps the travel of the electricity cool and provides plenty of amp's. when moving the battery to the back of the car you need as many amps getting to the front as possible. Most aluminum wire has big strands, so it will provide the 12volts but might not start the car. so i would just use the copper.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:33 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Surface area, like stated above is important. A single large wire isn't going to carry 1/2 the current a fine stranded one will. Plus the inherent issues with the alum wire with expansion, cracking, etc.

I wouldn't do it. The weight that you're gonna save vs the potential issues aren't worth it IMO. You'r probably only talking about 10 lbs, I can think of alot of ways to get 10 lbs off the car that aren't going to cause the potential problems that alum wire could.

Quick Reply: Aluminum wire for battery relocation???