Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Draglite questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 11:10 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Draglite questions

Maybe I will have better luck here than in the wheels and tire section.

I have a pair of 15x3.5 for the front, the label on the wheel claims 1.75" backspace. Is there a spacer I can run on the front to avoid grinding my brakes or will I have to grind them regardless? I have the dual piston setup up from from the 97-02 Fbodies.

Next question is what tires should I get for these? I will be driving the car to and from the track, about a two hour drive one way. I may also on occasion take the car for three hour drives one way, in both instances there will be interstate travel.

I want to get center caps for both the front and rear wheels. Rears are 15x10, with I'm guessing 6.5" backspace? They might be 7.5" backspace, I might not be measuring right. I see though that there are two different sizes for center caps, what size do I want for the front and back wheels? I know the one time I mounted them up to the car to see what was going on, they were really close to the inside fender, the current tires that are mounted were rubbing (extremely shot Hoosier quicktimes), that I am replacing with new 275/60 555Rs.

I think I want to run a spacer in the back also, all the time, even when I am on my 16" ZR1s. Are there recommendations on where I can buy spacers? Could I run 3/4"-1"??

I currently have ARP extended studs on the back, I think they are 1" longer than stock, they are the shorter option out of what TR had for sale on their site. I will also be installing the same studs up front.

So is it safe to run the spacer on the ARP studs?

Sorry for all the questions, I want to run these draglites already! I want to hit the track while the temps are still kind of cool at night.

Last edited by camar0corey; 02-03-2012 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:34 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From everything I have read, 6.5" back space will require 1" Narrower per side rear axle. I think for a 10" wheel you need 7.5" backspace on a stock rear axle.

I cant answer your question on the fronts because I have read conflicting information and I am on a wheel hunt myself, lol!
Old 02-04-2012, 02:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Anybody?

I ordered two more sets of mcgard lugnuts off ebay, I should have just ordered 5 sets back when they were under $10 and waited on the backorder to ship at the same price, price has now tripled on ebay for them, but still cheaper than I've seen elsewhere.

Looked at the caliper grinding thread, found a link for allstar performance? People there in that thread said a 5/16" spacer is all that is needed in order to not grind calipers? Is this true for front and back? Out back I have LT1 brakes, so I know I have little to no grinding to do if I run a spacer, the only spacer link that still works in that thread sells 1/2" and larger spacers though?

Is it safe to run a spacer on the back? Once again, extended ARP studs, is it OK? Will the car not look stupid front and back with 1/2" spacers, and if not where are people getting the 5/16" spacers??

Looked at center caps for the draglites, this has caused me more confusion. Seems that I do want the larger diameter ones, but there is where it gets murky. Weld's site lists 3.16 diameter, and in two heights, 2.20 and 3.25. Summit says 3.175 for draglites, and that the 2.20 height caps are for prostars and are not compatible with draglites.

What is the story? I don't think I want 3.25" center caps, I think I want 2.20 but not sure if I can do that?

Still need my questions answered, please! I'm itching to go back to the track and wondering what it will be like to finally have traction of some sort.
Old 02-05-2012, 07:33 PM
TECH Junkie

No input or advice on any of this? You'd think I'm asking how to best burn down villages in here or something!
Old 02-06-2012, 03:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have drag lites on my 98 firebird. Fronts fit without any grinding for me and i have a 5/16" spacer. (got the spacers with my rims)

Rear rims i had to grind the shiit out of the calipers. I took a ton of material off. (no spacers)
Old 02-06-2012, 06:37 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they are the Draglites you purchased off of me I never ran a spacer on the front wheels. Grind the caliper and don't look back because spacers scare me when your running 100+ MPH.
Old 02-06-2012, 08:51 PM
TECH Junkie

How much grinding is needed for the fronts? I like to go corner carving with this thing, if I have to take a lot off I'm not sure which I'd be better off doing. Also what did you run for tires on them? Thanks for responding, I'm really itching to try it all out. I've never had a sticky tire on this car.

Are spacers really that bad on extended ARP studs? I hear of people shearing studs, but are they factory studs or ARPs?

Last edited by camar0corey; 02-06-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 02-06-2012, 10:31 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
How much grinding is needed for the fronts? I like to go corner carving with this thing, if I have to take a lot off I'm not sure which I'd be better off doing. Also what did you run for tires on them? Thanks for responding, I'm really itching to try it all out. I've never had a sticky tire on this car.

Are spacers really that bad on extended ARP studs? I hear of people shearing studs, but are they factory studs or ARPs?
I don't remember how much I needed to take off because it was so long ago. I would swap between the Draglites and my stock wheels all the time so I don't think it's an issue. I ran Mickey Thompson Sportsmans on the front tires because they saw some street time and decent MPH at the racetrack. If I see people shearing studs I try to either avoid that situation or buy something better to keep from getting myself into trouble. In this case I chose not to run spacers on my wheels.

Quick Reply: Draglite questions