Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tell me whats wrong with my launch - vids

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2004, 05:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Tell me whats wrong with my launch - vids

First time out with my slicks i did pretty pathetic.
other then not being able to do a burn out whats wrong.
what do you guys think of the tire pressure, to much or to little, was using 10psi cold.

http://s90723722.onlinehome.us/CR/54dragfall04.mpg launch http://s90723722.onlinehome.us/CR/61adragfall04.mpg burnout
http://s90723722.onlinehome.us/CR/61bdragfall04.mpg launch
Old 10-27-2004, 09:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

What are you revving it up to before you dump the clutch? Sounds like you could go much higher. As for the burn out, get a line loc and you should be able to get your slicks to smoke.
Old 10-27-2004, 10:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

um ya i have a line lock, the car just moves forward, im not sure whats wrong, i only go one good burn out that day and it wasnt that good. the burnout vid shows what the line lock normally does, do you think its bad?

im dumping at about 3500-4000, first pass i tried dumping them at 5000rpm and i just spun them bad, got a 2.4

my best 60' of the day i think was a 2.1 something is terrible wrong with that.
the are ET street slicks
Old 10-27-2004, 10:18 AM
kp
8 Second Club

You need to do a better burnout, the front tires or turning so the line lock isnt working. Try pumping the pedal a couple times and holding it down as hard as you can before turning the line lock on.

Do a 2nd gear burnout to get the tires spinning faster. Make sure there is some water on the tires also

You need to leave at higher RPM or the car will fall on its face, you can hear the tires let go so either the track wasnt that great, bad burnout or old tires can also add up to no traction. You are better off spinning the tires some leaving at a higher RPM then bogging it - bogging it by leaving to low just kills the 60'
Old 10-27-2004, 11:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

i was doing a second gear burn out. Just pushed the car, the one good burn out i shifted to third.
i think i might look for a new line lock.

when i left at higher rpm i just spun them so badly i didnt move, then i hooked and it took off.

track was norwalk, i used to think it was good, but maybe it was bad that day, first time on the track with those M/T's
i tried to get the guys to put more water in the burnout box, but they just looked at me dumbfounded.
Old 10-27-2004, 11:43 AM
"The Drag Racing Director"

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ditto to what KP said.

Coach
Old 10-27-2004, 01:49 PM
kp
8 Second Club

If I try to do a burnout and the tires arent wet it will push the car with the front tires locked up - thats how a line lock should work

Just make sure everything is bled everywhere on the fronts and really stand on the pedal before you turn on the line lock. You shuld be able to put on the line lock and push the locked up front skinneys down the street in 1st if you wanted to..

Those tires look pretty big, what are they 11.5x26x15 ET streets?
Old 10-27-2004, 02:29 PM
8 Second Club

I think you need 2 things......1) more launch rpm, and, B) more tire pressure. 12# on a ET Street is really low and they're probably all cupped up in the middle not giving you a good even contact patch. Even at 13# hot, my 26x11.5 on a 8" rim would leave an uneven contact patch. Take it out on the street and lay a nice patch and see what it looks like. Try about 5500 on the launch too.....
Old 10-27-2004, 03:57 PM
TECH Senior Member

You got the wrong tranny

Seriously though, like said above, you need more launch RPM's, the car sounds like it's bogging. It's almost better to slip the tire (or clutch) a little bit rather than bog it with that tall first gear in the M6's.
Old 10-27-2004, 05:39 PM
Motorboater

i you are having a hard time finding the sweet spot between spinning and bogging, it may be a suspension issue.

lets hear about your suspension and what you are doing with it..

and easy there wilwaxu, a certina silver car with flames aint' exactly far behind your big old stalled A4 car with the same motor work
Old 10-27-2004, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SilverGhost
and easy there wilwaxu, a certina silver car with flames aint' exactly far behind your big old stalled A4 car with the same motor work
yea, i must have a defective trans to go a 1.45 just messin with you John.
hey sean, nice status change

now to get on topic
what clutch you running, have you checked for tires spinning on the rims, what suspension setup you have?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

tires are 11.5x26x15 ET streets micky tompsons on a 10" rim. not sure if there spinning or not, they dont have screws in them.
suspension is
spoon torque arm (not sure if i have it adjusted right yet)
airbags
bmr subframe conectors
i have some relocation brackets, just havent got them on yet.
clutch is a ram/mcloud the one harlan use to use.

i tried a 5k clutch drop at the street and with 12psi cold it seemed to leave an even contact patch, but wasnt hooking at the track so i lowered it to 10psi cold. maybe it was a little to much.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:37 AM
7 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need to do two things if you want to improve your times.You need to do a longer burnout.I don't stop till I see clouds of smoke coming from the rear tires.Bring your rpm's up to at least 5000 or more on the launch.10 psi is a good tire pressure for a stick car,that's what I run mine at on the Z.
Norwalk wasn't hooking like normal last Friday.The rookie running the water box was putting way to much water down.We had a 20ftx30ft water box before he was relieved of his duties.Your tires may very well have still been wet when you launched your car.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

ya the water box realy sucked it really didnt have alot of water in a small place but a little bit of water all over, it was a mess. i was wondering why everybody had problems durring a burnout as well, was it the colder weather, water or my line lock.

i think Ray told me he cut a few 1.5's so i didnt think the track was bad for everybody.

i tried to do a burnout till i saw smoke, then keep going for a bit, but i was moving to much.. i got one good burn out that day.
Old 10-28-2004, 07:47 AM
7 Second Club

How are you doing your burnout?I put the tranny in 2nd and bring the rpm's up to at least 5k,dump the clutch and stab the brake pedal real fast.I floor the pedal and hold it right under the limiter until I feel the tires start to bite.I slowly lift off the brake pedal and pull forward while still spinning the tires to clean off any excess water.If you do a burnout like that and dump the clutch at a minimum of 5000 rpm you will see much better times.
Ray has a 28 inch tire and a 250 shot to help his 60 fts.
Old 10-28-2004, 05:10 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
tires are 11.5x26x15 ET streets micky tompsons on a 10" rim. not sure if there spinning or not, they dont have screws in them.
suspension is
spoon torque arm (not sure if i have it adjusted right yet)
airbags
bmr subframe conectors
i have some relocation brackets, just havent got them on yet.
clutch is a ram/mcloud the one harlan use to use.

i tried a 5k clutch drop at the street and with 12psi cold it seemed to leave an even contact patch, but wasnt hooking at the track so i lowered it to 10psi cold. maybe it was a little to much.
the relocation brackets do help, i proved that to myself already. put a mark on you tires by the valve stem and after each launch look and see if the mark moved.
Old 10-29-2004, 02:44 AM
10 Second Club

You definitely need to be pumping the brakes a few times before engaging the line lock. I put my car in 2nd, floor it, and dump the clutch while side stepping the brake/gas with my right foot-no line lock here and I have no prob. putting my 28x10.5's into a frenzy of smoke.

The car looks too tight in the front end. I'd try and get more travel out of the front suspension-loosen the shocks. Have you checked your pinion angle with the spohn?
Old 10-29-2004, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

no havent got the spoon quite adjusted, its hard crawling under there, tried to set it but i changed it trying to take out some bad noise i was getting, but i think that was realted to my exhaust.

i was starting my burn out in first, i bet that was the problem. Ill start out in second now.

my shocks are stock so no adjustment possible.
i think i need some more pressure in my right air bag as im drifting a little to the right.