Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2009, 12:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey phil what kind of converter are you running? is it a bolt together and you're doing stall adjustments yourself?
Old 07-17-2009, 08:28 AM
7 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Neal Chance Bolt together
Old 07-17-2009, 08:40 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Neal Chance Bolt together

I always liked the commercials that they run in drag racing dvd's..."If you don't have a Chance, you don't have a chance."
Old 07-17-2009, 09:05 AM
7 Second Club

How about ATI's commericals? "Don't take a chance with any other converter"
Old 07-17-2009, 10:03 AM
Staging Lane

lol yeah. i just picked up one of their 8" mrt converters. good thing about ati is they're right around the beltway from me so i can just drive right over there.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:24 AM
7 Second Club

Brian is having good luck with theirs but he is on his 3rd restall. I've got a 10" pro-mod bolt together, our last restall went back to the orginal way it was sent out.
Old 07-17-2009, 10:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil99vette
Brian is having good luck with theirs but he is on his 3rd restall. I've got a 10" pro-mod bolt together, our last restall went back to the orginal way it was sent out.
let's get a couple facts straight-Brian is on his second restall-only because we're trying to get more out of the converter.We are already at an unheard slippage number for a small inch turbo motor in a heavy *** car.
That ATI converter in every bit as good as the chance converter-the only benfit to the chance converter in ease of stall change-the down sides are cost and alot more rotating weight.
There will be an ATI converter behind my twin turbo 672 when it comes out.
Old 07-17-2009, 11:18 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Shawn that being said.... would it be a good idea to have a chance converter, and once you have it figured out send it to ATI and have ATI duplicate it's stall speed/design?
Old 07-17-2009, 11:48 AM
FormerVendor

My best suggestion is to buy through a dealer that is an engine builder or tuner-especially if you have the engine built and or tuned by them.With n/a or n2o or s/c it's not a critical as a turbo deal but still important.I have worked closely with ATI on Brian's converter as well as many other converters,I know what info they need to build it properly,plus they know what i can and can't make work.
On the turbo stuff(because you don't have a linear power curve vs. rpm)it's alot harder.The engine builder/tuner makes all the diffrence in the world on how well the turbos will spool and at what rpm.Most novice turbo guys instantly blame the converter for slow spool up and such.So converter companies will just naturally just make the converter on the loose side because of that.This was the case with Brian's converter-Brian got is converter through a buddy of his who runs a trans shop-they heard first time turbo owner and just made it loose.Since i've been working on this deal,we've tightened up the converter 1300rpm and picked up 14 mph in the 1/4 mile.They can't even believe that we can make the car spool with that converter.

I'm not taking anything away from Marty at Chance-he make a damn fine converter(in fact i ran one for several years in my own car) and has gotten alot of feedback from racers and has made his product better over the years because of that.

ATI has really only been doing headsup style converters for about 2-3 years now,I believe they have a really good converter program now and will get even better as they get feedback from me and other experienced racers.They got some new stuff coming out soon that i'm pretty excited about-they are supposed to be getting me a new converter to test in Brian's car soon.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:18 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I the convertor is extremely important in these turbo cars. We are testing a new one ourselves in our twin turbo Mustang and so far it has kicked our *** at the 150 ft mark. If I can figure out how to get past that the car will freight train on down track.

225-343-9029
Old 07-17-2009, 12:23 PM
Staging Lane

my buddy put one of the ATI fuel/blown converters in his turbo buick, and it seems to work real well...i think thats the same model that Fireball is using in his car. I am anxious to test the mrt model i have out...just gotta get some wiring done on my car.
Old 07-17-2009, 01:55 PM
7 Second Club

The reason I chose a chance is because of the adjustability. I like being able to adjust converter slip/stall speed in 15 minutes. Its not like one converter is better than the other just 2 different designs.
Old 07-17-2009, 04:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Shawn that being said.... would it be a good idea to have a chance converter, and once you have it figured out send it to ATI and have ATI duplicate it's stall speed/design?

Is this a joke
Old 07-17-2009, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by jg04222
my buddy put one of the ATI fuel/blown converters in his turbo buick, and it seems to work real well...i think thats the same model that Fireball is using in his car. I am anxious to test the mrt model i have out...just gotta get some wiring done on my car.
I have the fuel blown extreme....they also make a fuel blown too...but its not the same stuff inside...
Old 07-17-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Shawn @ VA Speed
let's get a couple facts straight-Brian is on his second restall-only because we're trying to get more out of the converter.We are already at an unheard slippage number for a small inch turbo motor in a heavy *** car.
That ATI converter in every bit as good as the chance converter-the only benfit to the chance converter in ease of stall change-the down sides are cost and alot more rotating weight.
There will be an ATI converter behind my twin turbo 672 when it comes out.
I don't even count the last one as a restall...we had to check the converter since I broke the input shaft...so we just moved some shims around for a minor 100-200 rpm change...
Old 07-17-2009, 09:09 PM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by sr71bbjr
Is this a joke
No, serious question. If you're at the point that these guys are and are trying to get everything workign, I can see where having the ability to adjust the converter to get the most from it is beneficial, but once you have it where you want, sending it to someone that can build it in the lighter designed case which would reduce the rotational weight a good bit could work better.

Might be easier to get it dead perfect if you have an adjustable one, but if the adjustable one is 5 to 10 lbs heavier that's alot of weight to be spinning around, I could see once the perfect setup is determined, sending the converter to someone that has the ability to load test it and see what/where it's stalling and whatnot and then duplicate the results, giving you the same converter but 5 to 10 lbs lighter.

If I'm wrong please explain it, but I can see where this might work/be possible
Old 07-18-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
No, serious question. If you're at the point that these guys are and are trying to get everything workign, I can see where having the ability to adjust the converter to get the most from it is beneficial, but once you have it where you want, sending it to someone that can build it in the lighter designed case which would reduce the rotational weight a good bit could work better.

Might be easier to get it dead perfect if you have an adjustable one, but if the adjustable one is 5 to 10 lbs heavier that's alot of weight to be spinning around, I could see once the perfect setup is determined, sending the converter to someone that has the ability to load test it and see what/where it's stalling and whatnot and then duplicate the results, giving you the same converter but 5 to 10 lbs lighter.

If I'm wrong please explain it, but I can see where this might work/be possible
you can do the same thing with chance...they can build their promod as a weldtogether...dunno why you'd want to buy two converters though for a minimal gain due to lost weight
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 AM
Race your car!

Originally Posted by Fireball
you can do the same thing with chance...they can build their promod as a weldtogether...dunno why you'd want to buy two converters though for a minimal gain due to lost weight
Not saying I would want to... but to get it absolutely perfect, the adjustable one is probably the way to go... now how much would be gained by going to the exact same thing that's 5 lbs lighter, that is the question. Would it be worth it, knowing that you could sell the adjustable one once you got the lighter version built.

Kaizen..... small steps to get closer to the ultimate goal. Once you're at thsi point of things, you'll be taking small steps to get there, pulling a few lbs off the converter, would probably be one of these small steps.

If I had a car that was running 7.DOH! I'd be looking at things like this to get there. Not that Phil has this issue, once he's gotten a handle on the car I'm pretty sure it's going right past that #.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:01 AM
7 Second Club

I really wonder what the weight difference is now. If weight is a concern with the bolt together you can always get an aluminum backside and keep the same stator, pump and turbine. What makes me wonder if the guys @ ATI and Chance keep saying..."How are you spooling this converter?" I've been messing with Marty telling him I've got nitrous to pre-spool it.
Old 07-18-2009, 08:34 AM
FormerVendor

yeah,for an extra $1000.00 you can have the lightweight converter.The downside to this besides the price is durability,i had one of the lightweight promod converters-ripped half the threads out of the flange where the converter bolts together blew fluid all over the track and just about crashed because of it-no thanks

Quick Reply: SFI 25.2 Mustang/LSx build "The Renegade"