Dynamometer Results & Comparisons Dyno Records | Dyno Discussion | Dyno Wars

400 HP internally stock no Power adder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2004, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1ORANGEWS6
Many poeple have called your bluff.... lay your cards down or fold!
I have put my money where my mouth is, which part don't you understand?
Old 04-13-2004, 11:41 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
LOL, didn't anyone notice that the WS6 made more power than the Z06?

But on a serious note. Can it be true? Maybe.

Another thing no one touched on. If the cam was retarded a few degrees it would work better with the LSX intake. I'd like to know where the HP and TQ peaks are. That might shed some light on this.

Another trick is running thin weight oil and only 2-3 quarts. .

Add some 2.73 or 3.23 gears to the equation and you get a little more. Or like someone stated, dyno in 3rd gear.
The Z06 was done in '01 and had fewer mods.
The cam has not been touched.
The dyno chart should be up soon.
Oil was 5w30 and full
stock 3.42 gear
dyno done in 4th gear
Old 04-13-2004, 11:46 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Colonel
FWIW, my MTI Stage II LS6 heads with XE-R 224/220 .581/.581 cam and 11.1:1 CR only put down 397 ft/lbs...so you can understand my disbelief in your claims. This was with an LS6 intake (shown to pretty much be just as strong as the LSX in bolt-on applications), Kooks stepped headers, a off-road 3 into 4" Y-collector, with a cuttout and all the other bolt-ons except an electric pump. 423-397 was the resulting power. Notice my sub 400 TQ despite the heavy mods.

That engine ran 11.20 and 121.5 MPH with stock gearing, stock heavy wheels, and a 3525 lb raceweight. A definite REAL WORLD performer.
Everyone knows smaller cams make more torque.

My 92 Vette (front page of my website) with 363rwhp went 121.2 mph at full weight with weld wheels. Not to mention the 30 mpg on the way to and from Steele.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

you might want to check the altitude in your dyno software.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:52 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kp
Simple enough..

If you need an independant, close dynojet I am up in knoxville and we can see what happens here, I have no financial interest at all no matter what it dynos, except for my own curiousity. You can look at all the settings before and after your pulls if you wish. I dont think its possible to get 400/400 on a stock engine but I'm willing to see it for myself and here is your chance to shut all the disbelievers up. I'm not trying to disprove anything, I think it would be a huge benefit for yourself to try it here..

That's not a bad idea. There is no doubt in my mind that it will repeat the #'s (within an acceptable range of dyno to dyno repeatability) The problem would be that they will just say that it has some kind of head or cam mods, or not a stock shortblock, or something.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Spindoctor
Everyone knows smaller cams make more torque.
smaller cam's don't make more torque. They may make more torque down low, but not more tq.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 16nrollininaws6
I say you take it to a reputable dyno

It was done on a reputable dyno. If you don't believe me just check the April '04 issue of Corvette Fever page 79.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:28 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's not a bad idea. There is no doubt in my mind that it will repeat the #'s (within an acceptable range of dyno to dyno repeatability) The problem would be that they will just say that it has some kind of head or cam mods, or not a stock shortblock, or something.
I say bring it on up anyhow, I have a bit of experience with LS1s and can probably tell pretty easily if it has a stock cam or not. As far as ported heads not much I can do, if it has the 241 heads on it I can assume it has the correct year heads but it would be silly to pull off the intake and look.

Part of how sites like this work is most people are fairly honest, if you sold a few of these packages and they came nowhere near your car it would prove itself to not be true and that would be that. I dont doubt you could pull a stock LS1 apart, mill the heads a bit, do a very nice valve job, custom grind a cam that sounded stock, maybe even 1.9 rockers on a stock cam w/springs, cc/equalize all the chambers, lighten the rotating assembly a bit, equalize the deck height - typical NHRA stock eliminator stuff w/o a cheater cam, use a lighter driveshaft etc, etc and get 400+rwhp/tq. But would that be considered internally stock? I have seen a 10-15rwhp between dynojets and even on our own between a few days. Correction factors vary, sometimes they help you, sometimes they hurt you.

That being said, has the engine ever been taken apart? Does it have stock valve springs, rockers, compression, valve angles etc.

I dont know if anyone has actually tried to do what you claim to do, usually most people reach a certain point where a 350.00 cam will do a lot more then a 800.00 intake and a 500.00 water pump so its a dollars and sense thing. Most people here are going to doubt your results, including myself, but I wont say its impossible since I dont know the details of your 'x' package. It just doesnt seem like an economically feasable way to reach 400rwhp.

PM me if you want to try it, or I can take a ride with one of my cars that have been on a few different dynos and we can dyno race one afternoon. Either way betting money on dyno pulls brings dyno racing to a new level - I dont condone organized dyno racing :/
Old 04-14-2004, 12:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"Everyone knows smaller cams make more TQ"?!? Sorry, stock cams make **** for tq compared to aftermarket cams. I know, I've dynoed two of them myself not to mention that I've taken notice of internally stock dyno numbers for years and years now. The stock cams aren't even close to the aftermarket cams in peak TQ....I mean, not even close! Ask around a bit.

A smaller cam may make better TQ at a lower RPM than many aftermarket cams but it will not make a higher peak TQ number.

FWIW, best dyno numbers will come in drive. That's 4th gear with an M6.

I asked about the head casting number for a reason. I'm wondering if it could possibly have LS6 heads. That might mean that it has an LS6 cam as well. Those two things together would help to make this believable. But as we've all said before, LS1 heads and an LS1 cam don't equal 400/400 on a properly operated Dynojet...

...and again yes, I'll be glad to put good money on that. However, that will mean that a teardown will have to be done to verify the internal are all bone stock LS1 internals. I get to witness both the testing and the teardown too of course.

Please, don't take all that the wrong way. I'm not trying to show you up. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. If it did in fact pull an honest, no tricks, properly done 400/400 on a properly working Dynojet then there is a reason why...and that reason is that it does NOT have ALL LS1 components. Something else is in the equation. I'm not even saying that it didn't come from the factory that way. Not all LS1s came from the factory with what people consider to be LS1 parts. My latest LS1 came with an LS6 block, for instance...not that that makes any power difference...just using that for an example.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

"if it has the 241 heads on it I can assume it has the correct year heads but it would be silly to pull off the intake and look."

You don't have to pull the intake to check what heads you have. Just check the number.
Old 04-14-2004, 12:56 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

"if it has the 241 heads on it I can assume it has the correct year heads but it would be silly to pull off the intake and look."

You don't have to pull the intake to check what heads you have. Just check the number.
I was referring to seeing if they were ported or not..
Old 04-14-2004, 12:58 AM
Staging Lane

"Everyone knows smaller cams make more TQ"?!? Sorry, stock cams make **** for tq compared to aftermarket cams. I know, I've dynoed two of them myself not to mention that I've taken notice of internally stock dyno numbers for years and years now. The stock cams aren't even close to the aftermarket cams in peak TQ....I mean, not even close! Ask around a bit.

A smaller cam may make better TQ at a lower RPM than many aftermarket cams but it will not make a higher peak TQ number.

FWIW, best dyno numbers will come in drive. That's 4th gear with an M6.

I asked about the head casting number for a reason. I'm wondering if it could possibly have LS6 heads. That might mean that it has an LS6 cam as well. Those two things together would help to make this believable. But as we've all said before, LS1 heads and an LS1 cam don't equal 400/400 on a properly operated Dynojet...

...and again yes, I'll be glad to put good money on that. However, that will mean that a teardown will have to be done to verify the internal are all bone stock LS1 internals. I get to witness both the testing and the teardown too of course.

Please, don't take all that the wrong way. I'm not trying to show you up. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of this. If it did in fact pull an honest, no tricks, properly done 400/400 on a properly working Dynojet then there is a reason why...and that reason is that it does NOT have ALL LS1 components. Something else is in the equation. I'm not even saying that it didn't come from the factory that way. Not all LS1s came from the factory with what people consider to be LS1 parts. My latest LS1 came with an LS6 block, for instance...not that that makes any power difference...just using that for an example.
In the two examples on this thread, the smaller cam made more peak, and probably more avg tq than the larger cam.

The car is an M6
The engine has never been apart
The car does not have LS6 heads or cam
The car made 320 rwhp bone stock just like other 02' WS6 cars have.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:09 AM
Banned

Just out of curiosity, how many X package cars do you have running out there? I mean, you must have everyone beating down your door for this magical X package. Yet I don't recall ever seeing anyone setting a bolt on record with an X package listed in their sig. Or anyone listing the X package in their sig on this board for that matter.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:18 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by SilverSurfer
Just out of curiosity, how many X package cars do you have running out there? I mean, you must have everyone beating down your door for this magical X package. Yet I don't recall ever seeing anyone setting a bolt on record with an X package listed in their sig. Or anyone listing the X package in their sig on this board for that matter.
They were on Vettes up till now. We tried to enter the TR southern shootout 2 years in a row, but Vettes werent allowed in the bolt-on classes both years. I just finished this first F-body, so how could anyone have done anything with it yet? Not everyone posts on LS1tech.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Staging Lane

I am ready when you are. Please bring lots of Cash.

After its all over I will buy you a beer.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:29 AM
Banned

So where do they post then? I'd like to see for myself.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:46 AM
TECH Resident

It happened during a Dyno Day. There were several people there as witness and it was captured on film. Why do think it wasn't filmed?
Why do i not think it was filmed, well maybe b/c you have not brought forth any other proof of your amazing feet other than your witty banter. Seeing is believing and being that no one on this board has ever seen what you so proudly claim in your sig, well that leads me to believe it didn't happen. Bring the video to the net for all to see, maybe it will end this silly argument. However something tells me that when you do you will be the next "Star Wars Kid" or the next "Z06 *****" film to hit the internet.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:56 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by blk~2000~Z28
Why do i not think it was filmed, well maybe b/c you have not brought forth any other proof of your amazing feet other than your witty banter. Seeing is believing and being that no one on this board has ever seen what you so proudly claim in your sig, well that leads me to believe it didn't happen. Bring the video to the net for all to see, maybe it will end this silly argument. However something tells me that when you do you will be the next "Star Wars Kid" or the next "Z06 *****" film to hit the internet.

I saw it with my own eyes, along with most of the people who have posted in this thread.http://www.streetcarforums.com/showt...threadid=16124 I also dynoed my Vette that day too, 315 RWHP and 329 RWTQ
Old 04-14-2004, 02:01 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Eric Hawkins
I saw it with my own eyes, along with most of the people who have posted in this thread.http://www.streetcarforums.com/showt...threadid=16124 I also dynoed my Vette that day too, 315 RWHP and 329 RWTQ
So where is the video from that day? So all you can bring to the table is more witty banter a link to another forum. Just post up a video so at least there is a shred of evidence. Seeing is believing, or at least it starts there.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:13 AM
TECH Resident

With all the money in the mods she has its kind of sad
It seems like that magic car is getting waxed by other cars and this is not the only forum that wont believe this guys BS. Thanks for that link BTW.

Quick Reply: 400 HP internally stock no Power adder?