Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Who will win?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 04:27 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who will win?

Ok, I have a 2000 Z28 A4 w/ ~91,000 miles. I have a cutout, K&N air filter and a few free mods, (i'm poor). My buddy is in the process of purchasing a 2002 Z28 M6 w/ ~75,000 miles that is bone stock. My question is, will I have ANY possibility of winning a race? And if so, tell me my advantages! Thanks guys.
Old 10-15-2009, 08:45 AM
TECH Apprentice

1st advantage...automatic~no missed shifts, get out of the hole better on the street
2nd advantage....definately go from a dig..make him drive his car

you have a few mods and the mileage is similar so it may be close from a roll as well if he is indeed "bone stock"
Old 10-15-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

a4 from a dig if he's not used to launching a 6 speed. I say 6 speed from a roll, unless he hasn't gotten the driver mod.

btw... Why does everyone put K&N in their list of mods? The paper filter flows just as well, only reason for the k&n is so that it can be reused... /rant
Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

a4 from a dig if he's not used to launching a 6 speed. I say 6 speed from a roll, unless he hasn't gotten the driver mod.
my car looks exactly like yours except I have chrome zo6 wheels...I even have drag radials mounted on the stock chrome z wheels...just thought that was cool didn't mean to hijack
Old 10-15-2009, 03:38 PM
11 Second Club

I would do the race from a dig.

From a roll, he has you covered.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 406malibu

btw... Why does everyone put K&N in their list of mods? The paper filter flows just as well, only reason for the k&n is so that it can be reused... /rant
You're right. I wondered myself if I should have even listed it. I guess that I just feel like the K&N flows better. I don't think that I have seen actual facts otherwise. I very well could be wrong. Haha, all in all, I guess that it just makes me feel better saying that I have the filter because I have so few mods that I need to list even a stupid air filter!
Old 10-16-2009, 02:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gaunt
I would do the race from a dig.

From a roll, he has you covered.
I beat several M6s from several different rolls when I had lid/exhaust.. They ranged from corvettes to TAs to camaros from bone stock from the showroom to lid/free mods/exhaust/short throw.. Never lost.
Old 10-16-2009, 02:51 AM
Teching In

I think you forgot to mention that I also have brand new eagle f1 goodyear tires and yours are old and bald. Anyone else think this might change who has the advantage from a dig?
Old 10-16-2009, 05:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by TieFighter
I think you forgot to mention that I also have brand new eagle f1 goodyear tires and yours are old and bald. Anyone else think this might change who has the advantage from a dig?
Every race I did I was on bald *** 245 cheap tires.. Some people I raced also had bald tires and some had brand new tires..

IMO there is no guessing this race.. You have to do it.. Stock cars it is too hard to tell.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:23 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ZEPHYR-ILL
You're right. I wondered myself if I should have even listed it. I guess that I just feel like the K&N flows better. I don't think that I have seen actual facts otherwise. I very well could be wrong. Haha, all in all, I guess that it just makes me feel better saying that I have the filter because I have so few mods that I need to list even a stupid air filter!
Keep that K&N listed as a mod. Back when I was younger (and poor also)
I was happy to list any mod I could. I had a K&N filter, free mods, painted calipers, etc.
Old 10-16-2009, 05:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by unit213
Keep that K&N listed as a mod. Back when I was younger (and poor also)
I was happy to list any mod I could.

Not trying to rain on your party.... BUT!.... Didn't Chrs1313 do a couple tests proving that the stock paper filter actually flows better than a K&N? Granted they are both clean..
Old 10-16-2009, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by lemons12

Not trying to rain on your party.... BUT!.... Didn't Chrs1313 do a couple tests proving that the stock paper filter actually flows better than a K&N? Granted they are both clean..
Never hear of the guy, but it's common knowledge that the K&N doesn't outflow a paper filter. Actually, some old school guys here (Colonel I think)
tested no filter, vs a paper filter, vs a K&N and the results were all basically the same.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:18 PM
11 Second Club

I beat several M6s from several different rolls when I had lid/exhaust.. They ranged from corvettes to TAs to camaros from bone stock from the showroom to lid/free mods/exhaust/short throw.. Never lost.
I don't doubt your stories... but it's hard to say a stock stalled auto is going to win a 35 roll or something similar versus an M6.
Old 10-16-2009, 07:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Never hear of the guy, but it's common knowledge that the K&N doesn't outflow a paper filter. Actually, some old school guys here (Colonel I think)
tested no filter, vs a paper filter, vs a K&N and the results were all basically the same.
If you are interested..

https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-raci...ake-guess.html

Originally Posted by Gaunt
I don't doubt your stories... but it's hard to say a stock stalled auto is going to win a 35 roll or something similar versus an M6.
It might be hard to say.. But it is more than possible.. FWIW I have never lost a race to a manual fbody car, stock or modded. However, I am in no way saying that they aren't out there..
When I was stock all the M6s actually got the jump on me from slow rolls (under 30mph) and I would reel them in up top and pass them and usually put about 1 car on them till we let out, closest race I only pulled a fender on him.. Higher the roll the more lengths I put on them, slower the roll the more they would jump out and I would have to reel them in.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Nothing good in that thread IMO really. They are just talking about stuff
we hashed out back when 'Tech first started.
Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Nothing good in that thread IMO really. They are just talking about stuff
we hashed out back when 'Tech first started.
???

I don't know then.. I take mine out anyways so it doesn't really matter to me..
Old 10-16-2009, 10:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 72 Likes on 37 Posts

Run him from a roll and dig. I have been quite a few m6's from a roll.
Old 10-17-2009, 12:36 AM
Teching In

Funny thing is that you ASSUME that I will still have those tires on when we race. I won't race anybody with the tires I have now.
Old 10-17-2009, 05:18 AM
Administrator

F1's are garbage. Don't count on them for traction or for an advantage.
Old 10-17-2009, 11:03 AM
11 Second Club

F1's are garbage. Don't count on them for traction or for an advantage.
+1...supposedly a fairly soft compound, I fit the biggest meats I could under my car and still blow them off...might as well have bought cheapos

Quick Reply: Who will win?