Dyno Guesses & Bench Racing Forum Horsepower Estimates | Racing Scenarios

Ls1 with afr heads hp.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2019, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ls1 with afr heads hp.

How much hp can afr heads add to an ls1? Everything stock just afr heads.
Old 10-29-2019, 05:23 AM
Staging Lane

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Honestly, you shouldn't do heads first. You have stock manifolds, stock cam, and a stock Ls1 intake. The heads aren't going to perform as well when everything else is stock. Is this an auto or manual? If it's an auto, the first mod you should do is an aftermarket torque converter. Nothing below 3200. Circle D, Yank, Precision Industries are some of the best on the market. You will cut about a half second off your 1/4 mile time with just the converter. Next up would be long tube headers if you're not in California. Usually guys don't slap heads on unless they have other bolt-ons first and also a cam. AFR heads are too expensive to slap on in stock form. My guess is you might see 20-30 crank hp with everything else stock. If you are on a budget, and it is an auto car, I would opt for the torque converter. 600 bucks compared to 2 grand for the heads. Also, you can get cheaper heads from Patriot, Texas Speed, TEA, Dart etc etc. I think you'd be happier with a Texas Speed head/cam package which would be around the same price as the AFRs alone. You'll make more power.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:55 PM
12 Second Club

Received 183 Likes on 141 Posts

Waste of a lot of money for all that work to do heads without a cam, intake and exhaust. Pick up minimal on a stock engine
Old 01-25-2022, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 225 Likes on 198 Posts

Originally Posted by Z28SteveA4
Waste of a lot of money for all that work to do heads without a cam, intake and exhaust. Pick up minimal on a stock engine
Who’d ever do heads but no cam? Cam but no heads maybe, but never the other way around.
Old 01-25-2022, 09:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Scott8102
Honestly, you shouldn't do heads first. You have stock manifolds, stock cam, and a stock Ls1 intake. The heads aren't going to perform as well when everything else is stock. Is this an auto or manual? If it's an auto, the first mod you should do is an aftermarket torque converter. Nothing below 3200. Circle D, Yank, Precision Industries are some of the best on the market. You will cut about a half second off your 1/4 mile time with just the converter. Next up would be long tube headers if you're not in California. Usually guys don't slap heads on unless they have other bolt-ons first and also a cam. AFR heads are too expensive to slap on in stock form. My guess is you might see 20-30 crank hp with everything else stock. If you are on a budget, and it is an auto car, I would opt for the torque converter. 600 bucks compared to 2 grand for the heads. Also, you can get cheaper heads from Patriot, Texas Speed, TEA, Dart etc etc. I think you'd be happier with a Texas Speed head/cam package which would be around the same price as the AFRs alone. You'll make more power.
Gents, I was using the mustang heads as a reference to where the restriction is and that the bolt-ons didn’t help because they were after the restriction. However, no one just replaced the heads, it’s a full top end job, fuel &
tune. I know the basics.
Basically what I was asking is how restrictive are the stock parts that are bolted to the heads. Is a full-bolt on nite and day faster than a stock one? In the 5.0 world the full bolt on isn’t much faster due to both still having crappy heads so not much if anymore air is actually going in or out.
I’m not looking to race anyone from a dig so I don’t think a higher stall will help me. Would a higher stall help, hinder, or be irrelevant while the car is in motion?
If there is such an animal is a streetable, stock converter compliant cam for the stock heads worth while? Or are we talking like 5-10 hp?
What’s the typical entry level TFS type top end make? What’s needed to not get blown away by a new Camaro once the road gets past the 1/4 mile mark? Say a mile run starting from 30 mph. Would it take an additional 100 hp? More/less?
*Edit*
Some of these questions will be redundant. There’s another post coming but I attached a pic and I guess it’s waiting approval. Slow movement in that dept. I wrote an intro 24 hrs ago and it’s still MIA.
Anyways thanks fellas.

Last edited by Y2K_Frenzy; 01-25-2022 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-26-2022, 12:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

WHERE do even refer to Mustang heads? Plus you talk as if you have posted here before. Uhhh... you have NOT. In fact BOTH posts say it is your first post.
Old 01-26-2022, 06:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by G Atsma
WHERE do even refer to Mustang heads? Plus you talk as if you have posted here before. Uhhh... you have NOT. In fact BOTH posts say it is your first post.
I mention mustang heads in the 3rd sentence on in post #1. I would take a screen shot and highlight it but it would take ten years for the pic to post. The crappy mustang heads are what inspired this thread. They are so crappy that a cam swap adds near zero power. Exhaust- same story. Because the are THE restriction in the system.
What I came to ask is where is the restriction in the LS motors. Either no one knows or it doesn’t have any.
Old 01-26-2022, 09:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3,109 Likes on 2,424 Posts

The main restriction in LS engines is the cam, intentionally.
Heads and intake manifolds all flow very well for their intended function.
Want more power from ANY LS? Put a bigger cam in it.
Lsxelco started this thread, not you, over 2 years ago. Post #1 is his, and Mustang 5.0 heads have nothing to do with his first post. That is your illusion.

Quick Reply: Ls1 with afr heads hp.