Eastern Members CT, DE, NH, NJ, NY, MA, ME, MD, PA, RI, VT, VA, WV

Pomona NHRA Winternationals.........

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2008, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pomona NHRA Winternationals.........

Anyone catch the '08 NHRA season debut on ESPN from Pomona, Cali. last nite? Especially the ride Pendegron took on his run against John Force......nasty. Also, I see Tasca Ford from R.I. is back in the game w/AA/FC red Mustang-bodied car driven by Bob Tasca III. Man, I remember his grand dad running a 427 Fairlane Thunderbolt at the old NHRA track up in Orange, Ma. back in the mid 60's. Those old super stock 427 Fairlanes dominated for a few years back then..... WJ
Old 02-11-2008, 09:39 AM
Internet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I watched it with my father in law, that was a firey crash. John Force hit the sand and he was so worried about Tony, it was touching.

Acutally my father in law has a aluminum BB rod used on one of the Tasca's motors, he himself has a Fairlane Thunderbolt, signed. Thats pretty cool.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:42 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here is a pic and the vid from the run...
https://ls1tech.com/forums/drag-racing-results/861889-tony-pedregon-s-explosion-pomona.html
Old 02-11-2008, 10:16 AM
TECH Junkie

That vid even made "Good Morning America"/national TV this morning...surely a wild ride. WJ
Old 02-11-2008, 11:03 AM
12 Second Club

I watched it I'm glad it's back on not much else to watch right now. I thought Tasca ran IHRA last year.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:43 AM

I watched it last night it was a bad one for sure.
i think its great all of the saftey changes john Force is getting made in NHRA to keep drivers safe, just like Don Garlits did back in the 70's, its just a shame that it takes a tragic death or accident to get these things set in motion.
After Eric Medlin died Force has never been the same, he lost a dear close friend/teammate, but he lost something, he isnt as hardcore as he used to be. And now after his crash at the end of the season last year and even with his amazing recovery he just isnt the same you can see it in his face and the in his reaction last night, i think his edge/fearlessness is gone... I hate to say it as i am a big John Force fan.... maybe he will get back on track....
Old 02-11-2008, 01:40 PM
10 Second Club

I saw tims pic and video.. how bad are the burns and where are they? Hope for a speedy recovery..

Real glad to see force back out, and I think Greg anderson won pro stock correct?
Old 02-11-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Moose
I saw tims pic and video.. how bad are the burns and where are they? Hope for a speedy recovery..

Real glad to see force back out, and I think Greg anderson won pro stock correct?
He's got 2nd degree's on both hands, and maybe something on his lower legs....the lower portion (knees on down) of his firesuit was pretty well-cooked, but said he'll be driving next event, we hope.... WJ
Old 02-11-2008, 03:02 PM
FormerVendor

he only had a 2nd degree burn on his right hand. He was back at the event later on in the 2nd round.

That really is a testiment to how well these cars are designed and saftey measures are enforced. An 8,000 horsepower motor violently explodes just several feet away from your face....and all you have is a 2nd degree burn on your hand. amazing.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by thechef
i think its great all of the saftey changes john Force is getting made in NHRA to keep drivers safe, just like Don Garlits did back in the 70's, its just a shame that it takes a tragic death or accident to get these things set in motion.
After Eric Medlin died Force has never been the same, he lost a dear close friend/teammate, but he lost something, he isnt as hardcore as he used to be. And now after his crash at the end of the season last year and even with his amazing recovery he just isnt the same you can see it in his face and the in his reaction last night, i think his edge/fearlessness is gone... I hate to say it as i am a big John Force fan.... maybe he will get back on track....
I agree totally, chef. John Force seems to be very nervous----almost skitterish when any of his team cars come to the line when he's on camera, and lately, sometimes not making much sense while being interviewed. His Dallas accident seems to really have affected his demeanor big time, admitting yesterday that he's still really hurting, w/special controls added, just so he can drive the car... Is it time for him to get out of the seat and run the team without actually competing? He's had such a great career...maybe it's time to step down while he's on top, instead of pulling a Daryl Waltrip, ala Nascar, who went out in kind of a ***-clown manner his final season. Hopefuly, John Force will always be known as NHRA's greatest AA/Funny Car driver. Just my opinion. WJ
Old 02-11-2008, 08:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW
he only had a 2nd degree burn on his right hand. He was back at the event later on in the 2nd round.

That really is a testiment to how well these cars are designed and saftey measures are enforced. An 8,000 horsepower motor violently explodes just several feet away from your face....and all you have is a 2nd degree burn on your hand. amazing.
Thanks WJ and mike.. correct on the safety stuff.. It was a dream of mine to race professional (just like everyone else) not that I'm older you see the how important the safety equiment really is.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:31 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Mike@HSW

That really is a testiment to how well these cars are designed and saftey measures are enforced.
Here is a quote from Robert Hight on the new car they are running at the Force camp.....

"I can see so well in this car. I had to pedal in the first two rounds and I was able to see where I was and when I could get back on it so much quicker. I'm giving this trophy to Niranjan Singh, the Ford engineer who worked night and day to build this new car. He came over from Formula 1 and he's been relentless working on this thing to get it ready in time."

This year will go down in history with the new design just like when Big Daddy brought out the rear engine dragster design !
Old 02-12-2008, 01:20 AM
10 Second Club

Ran across a daum good vid of John and Ashley Force tonight. Thought it was a vid that most would enjoy ! The man is to drag racing what earnhardt was to winston cup racing.
The sports not gonna be the same when he leaves............enjoy !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWQsq46mz7k
Old 02-12-2008, 05:46 AM
10 Second Club

Tim..

is everyone in the funny car running the new chassis, or just the force camp?
Old 02-12-2008, 06:57 AM
12 Second Club

What came to my mind when I saw Tony's car burn was how fast could John get out of his car if he was to blow up again, he needs help getting in and out of his car now. I hope he gets back to his old self he is my favorite driver in the NHRA.
Old 02-12-2008, 07:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by ace68
What came to my mind when I saw Tony's car burn was how fast could John get out of his car if he was to blow up again, he needs help getting in and out of his car now. I hope he gets back to his old self he is my favorite driver in the NHRA.
NHRA tested his ability to get out of the car if there was an emergency. No sense for him to get out fast until he HAS too..
Old 02-12-2008, 07:17 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by thechef
Unfortunately, in these types of cars...sometimes you don't know you have a potential problem until it happens.
Old 02-12-2008, 08:03 AM
10 Second Club

Tim..

is everyone in the funny car running the new chassis, or just the force camp?
No.....but they all had to bring their old chassis up to the new specs that are required. (they had to add new bars to the old design).

The Force camp is running their new chassis design of their own though. Although it's heavier, it seemed to work well last weekend. They have a chassis guru from F1 thats helped alot with the design along with Ford and GM help also. It's been a joint effort to try to design a safer chassis for the good of the sport.

I also understand that some other chassis builders are working on new chassis designs also.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

the new chassis updates are actually pretty simple, they layed in 3 new pieces of small tube around the driver and revised the kevlar and Ti blast shields around the hoops.

the revisions that exist in the new force in-shop chassis' are all "open source" in essence since they are not keeping any of the design or technology from anyone. any chassis manufacturer is welcome to stop by the force racing or medlin project shops and ask anything they want to know.

as far as i know the force is the only frame with all of the new technology and mckinney is supposed to have something with in the next several weeks.
Old 02-13-2008, 06:17 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hawkn01

I also understand that some other chassis builders are working on new chassis designs also.
Gary selzi said he is having two news car built on the bubba love spong show. He said he would be out testing them soon