Florida Members Fun, sun and LS1's

Going to Miami for Memorial Day Weekend

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2012, 09:49 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going to Miami for Memorial Day Weekend

Going to Miami for Memorial Day Weekend (arriving Thursday night, leaving Monday morning). I've been to Florida twice but only to Orlando for Disney World and to buy a WS6 (in the Orlando area) so I wanted to ask you guys who live in Miami what kind of "tourist" things there are to do there. I am going with my wife and 8 other friends so it's a pretty good group (staying at the Mariott on South Beach). We got a few of the basics down like parasailing, clubs, beaches, etc but wanted to get advice from people who actually live there so that I dont spend all my time doing things I can do here at home. If there are any places to avoid, I would definitely like to know as well so that we don't waste our time.

Also, my wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary on either Friday or Saturday so I wanted to know of any nice restaurants we could go to.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. (By the way, huge fan of Burn Notice )
Old 05-20-2012, 10:12 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by hiram007
Going to Miami for Memorial Day Weekend (arriving Thursday night, leaving Monday morning). I've been to Florida twice but only to Orlando for Disney World and to buy a WS6 (in the Orlando area) so I wanted to ask you guys who live in Miami what kind of "tourist" things there are to do there. I am going with my wife and 8 other friends so it's a pretty good group (staying at the Mariott on South Beach). We got a few of the basics down like parasailing, clubs, beaches, etc but wanted to get advice from people who actually live there so that I dont spend all my time doing things I can do here at home. If there are any places to avoid, I would definitely like to know as well so that we don't waste our time.

Also, my wife and I will be celebrating our anniversary on either Friday or Saturday so I wanted to know of any nice restaurants we could go to.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys. (By the way, huge fan of Burn Notice )
Well, the first thing I should mention is that it is Urban Beach Weekend. Its gets a little rowdy, but I'm not sure if your going for that purpose, but you should google search that. I typically avoid south beach that weekend, but that's just me.

As far as restaurants go- Prime 112, Joe's Stone Crab, Smith & Wollensky are all great for an anniversary dinner- Larios on the beach- if you want some excellent Cuban food.

Last edited by Sofls1; 05-20-2012 at 10:18 AM.
Old 05-20-2012, 12:25 PM
10 Second Club

enjoy the rain.sorry.
Old 05-22-2012, 07:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You DO NOT want be in South Beach this weekend. I work this area and this is the worst time to come.
Old 05-22-2012, 08:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah, unless that's your thing the beach will be full of beached whales showing as much as they can without getting cited.
You can head over to Key Biscayne lighthouse beach if you want a more sedated calm scene beach wise.
Plenty of restaurants, depends on what you like.
Old 05-23-2012, 08:47 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sofls1
Well, the first thing I should mention is that it is Urban Beach Weekend. Its gets a little rowdy, but I'm not sure if your going for that purpose, but you should google search that. I typically avoid south beach that weekend, but that's just me.

As far as restaurants go- Prime 112, Joe's Stone Crab, Smith & Wollensky are all great for an anniversary dinner- Larios on the beach- if you want some excellent Cuban food.
Larios definitely sounds like a place I would like to eat, I'll check it out, thanks man.

Originally Posted by littlefranks
enjoy the rain.sorry.
20%-30%, doubt it, thats Houston all the time

Originally Posted by Danny2tek
You DO NOT want be in South Beach this weekend. I work this area and this is the worst time to come.
I'm a tourist, of course I do. Not only do I want to be there, I am staying there as well.

Originally Posted by maxgee
Yeah, unless that's your thing the beach will be full of beached whales showing as much as they can without getting cited.
You can head over to Key Biscayne lighthouse beach if you want a more sedated calm scene beach wise.
Ill check out the lighthouse, dont plan on being at the beach till Sunday. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2012, 09:04 PM
Captain Double Post

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wonder if ya can rent a donk to fit in for the weekend,my buddys went last year during that, they had fun, just becareful Miami is more dangerous by far that weekend
Old 05-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BOBS99SS
Wonder if ya can rent a donk to fit in for the weekend,my buddys went last year during that, they had fun, just becareful Miami is more dangerous by far that weekend
Will do, we actually talked about getting a donk but not sure yet. We will keep an eye out, its a group of 10 so were gonna make sure we stick together, dont wanna have any scarface moments lol.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Just got back from Miami, loved it, it was everything I expected and more. So Many things to do in both South Beach and North Beach and it didnt rain at all any of those days which was the cherry on the whole trip. The only crappy thing was that I had to come back. Thanks for the help guys.
Old 05-30-2012, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 82 Likes on 59 Posts

soooo.... did you hear about the guy that got his faced chewed of by another guy... ONLY IN MIAMI>>>>>>

Glad you had fun
Old 05-30-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 05-31-2012, 12:32 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by cancam99ss
soooo.... did you hear about the guy that got his faced chewed of by another guy... ONLY IN MIAMI>>>>>>

Glad you had fun
what the hell? lol I definitely did not hear about that but then again, I was completely distracted by the quality of cuban women running about the beach and off biscayne blvd

If Miami had some engineering jobs, I'd move there in a heartbeat.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by maxgee

we used to go to Key Biscayne every year when i was kid up until i was like 16......we stayed at the Sonesta Beach...My dad used to work in Miami and had a condo right next door to the Mutiny Hotel in Coconut Grove and actually was a regular at the bar mutiny...this was back in the 80's and yes during the Cocaine Cowboy days. The stories I could tell. LOL!

back then I got a gram of blow for $50 and carried it in my pocket back on the air plane...on Eastern Airlines. ..what memories.

Quick Reply: Going to Miami for Memorial Day Weekend