Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

TVS 2300 on built LS3 with stroker crank - Any ideas on how much boost we'll see?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 05:47 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anyone want to buy this H2 for 65K? I had it on Ebay for my Saudi customer, it had a lot of hits and watchers, but no one bought it... Bob
Old 09-01-2009, 08:30 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The tow bill was expensive! The water pump pulley that we had tig welded on broke loose, and not at the weld.... Bob
Old 09-01-2009, 09:43 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

hmmmmmm.... I have been considering an upgrade from my 122 to the 2300.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 188 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by tom's2005gto
What are you waiting on? I have both. The 122 is a toy compared to the TVS2300. The only downside to that blower is the jack it takes to buy one.
Old 09-03-2009, 04:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Question

Originally Posted by old motorhead
What are you waiting on? I have both. The 122 is a toy compared to the TVS2300. The only downside to that blower is the jack it takes to buy one.
I just wish we could eliminate the belt slippage and the problem with the water pump pulley. Possibly a better belt tensioner is the solution to our problem with this truck. Bob
Old 09-13-2009, 02:21 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by old motorhead
well, I've ordered an 8 ribbed pulley system and Lonnie's dual in tank pump all new lines, return line fuel system.

Was debating upgrading to an aluminum 427,but I don't think I'd gain enough to justify the cost of the new short block.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:57 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

well, I've ordered an 8 ribbed pulley system and Lonnie's dual in tank pump all new lines, return line fuel system.

Was debating upgrading to an aluminum 427,but I don't think I'd gain enough to justify the cost of the new short block.
Hopefully you will have better results than what we have seen on this Hummer. We're looking at running a different belt configuration on this Hummer, as we have had nothing but problems with it. Constant belt slippage problems, and we've had to have so much belt tension that the water pump pulley has come off three times. This last time the pulley was 100% tig welded on, and it ripped it off above the weld. Bob
Old 09-13-2009, 01:54 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
I just wish we could eliminate the belt slippage and the problem with the water pump pulley. Possibly a better belt tensioner is the solution to our problem with this truck. Bob
Take a look at 'Evans' water pump. The pulley is much beefier. I have it with my 8 rib 1900. I had slip in mid range - not top end- and it needs to be real tight. FWIW, I made 6 lbs and 640 rwhp with mti kit claimed 730 rwhp@7.5. Drive pulley 8" tvs pulley 2.8"
Old 09-14-2009, 05:37 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by backchannel
Take a look at 'Evans' water pump. The pulley is much beefier. I have it with my 8 rib 1900. I had slip in mid range - not top end- and it needs to be real tight. FWIW, I made 6 lbs and 640 rwhp with mti kit claimed 730 rwhp@7.5. Drive pulley 8" tvs pulley 2.8"
Thanks, I'll look into an Evans water pump. I appreciate the suggestion! Bob
Old 09-18-2009, 07:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I looked into the Evans pumps, it looks like you can only use their anti freeze which i don't want to have to do for a truck that may be headed overseas.

We have the belt very tight to keep slippage down, although we still see belt slippage. We also are using the Innovators West overdrive crank pulley arrangement that we got through Left Coast 32. I feel that the water pump pulley broke off because of the excessive belt tension that we are having to use. This truck is a beast from off idle, much, much faster than my Dodge Cummins Turbo is with the boost jacked up to 32 psi! Bob
Old 09-19-2009, 09:30 PM
Staging Lane

I looked into the Evans pumps, it looks like you can only use their anti freeze which i don't want to have to do for a truck that may be headed overseas.

We have the belt very tight to keep slippage down, although we still see belt slippage. We also are using the Innovators West overdrive crank pulley arrangement that we got through Left Coast 32. I feel that the water pump pulley broke off because of the excessive belt tension that we are having to use. This truck is a beast from off idle, much, much faster than my Dodge Cummins Turbo is with the boost jacked up to 32 psi! Bob
I don't see any reason that using their water pump would req' special antifreeze. There is too much belt pressure on the water pump pulley and if staying stock, I would machine a plate to reinforce the stock one. The Evans is thicker but further from the belt area to the mounting so I expect time will tell if its strong enough.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:47 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I don't see any reason that using their water pump would req' special antifreeze. There is too much belt pressure on the water pump pulley and if staying stock, I would machine a plate to reinforce the stock one. The Evans is thicker but further from the belt area to the mounting so I expect time will tell if its strong enough.
I agree, way to much belt pressure, and we still have belt slippage. I feel that to really take care of the problem with a serpentine belt, the blower needs to be on it's own belt all by itself and with designed with better belt wrap. If this could be done we would have less belt slippage and stress on the other items would be eliminated. Cartec's Flip Drive for the Corvette does the above and we have successfully used it on an eight rib drive Z06. Bob
Old 09-22-2009, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

How will the Eaton 2300 TVS compare to the 2.3L Whipple in boost PSI and heat production ? The reason I'm asking is that the NHRA has it out for Whipple and requires we change to a "Factory" high helix A.K.A Eaton supercharger. Belt slippage won't be an issue as I built a cog pulley set-up.
Old 09-23-2009, 05:21 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Quick Carl
How will the Eaton 2300 TVS compare to the 2.3L Whipple in boost PSI and heat production ? The reason I'm asking is that the NHRA has it out for Whipple and requires we change to a "Factory" high helix A.K.A Eaton supercharger. Belt slippage won't be an issue as I built a cog pulley set-up.
BlownChevy might be able to answer your question for you. Bob
Old 09-23-2009, 09:21 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks Bob for the reply. With the debate over the max potential I was looking for some real world experience between the 2 styles. The Magnason is an "Air Mover" vs. a compressor like the Whipple which should build less heat, but may not have the same boost PSI potential. I understand the engine displacement etc. will affect the max boost, but has anyone seen boost in the 20 PSI or higher with an Eaton style TVS or does leakage, rotor deflection,etc limit you to the 10-15 PSI range?
Old 09-25-2009, 05:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Quick Carl
Thanks Bob for the reply. With the debate over the max potential I was looking for some real world experience between the 2 styles. The Magnason is an "Air Mover" vs. a compressor like the Whipple which should build less heat, but may not have the same boost PSI potential. I understand the engine displacement etc. will affect the max boost, but has anyone seen boost in the 20 PSI or higher with an Eaton style TVS or does leakage, rotor deflection,etc limit you to the 10-15 PSI range?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/member.php?u=20308
hellbents10 might be able to answer your questions for you. Bob
Old 09-25-2009, 09:29 AM
FormerVendor

Thanks again for the help. I sent him a PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:10 PM
TECH Veteran

If you're running that much tension on the belt and it's still slipping it might be worth going to a tension with less tension and just spinning it slower. If you have to work the blower that hard that it's slipping the belt with 8 ribs and that much tension on it that just tells you that it's out of it's element. You could go with a 10 rib like the guy just did on performancetrucks.net, but either way your whole idea with the build of reliability is just going out with the truck. It's a good thing you didn't ship it out already. I'm suprised you haven't pulled that thing off there yet.
Old 09-25-2009, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Hopefully you will have better results than what we have seen on this Hummer. We're looking at running a different belt configuration on this Hummer, as we have had nothing but problems with it. Constant belt slippage problems, and we've had to have so much belt tension that the water pump pulley has come off three times. This last time the pulley was 100% tig welded on, and it ripped it off above the weld. Bob
why not a cog drive? I am assuming you have spoken with Brian at Magnuson and such about how to solve the problem. You have no hope in sight?? I find that to be crazy.
Old 09-25-2009, 01:17 PM
TECH Resident

I agree, way to much belt pressure, and we still have belt slippage. I feel that to really take care of the problem with a serpentine belt, the blower needs to be on it's own belt all by itself and with designed with better belt wrap. If this could be done we would have less belt slippage and stress on the other items would be eliminated. Cartec's Flip Drive for the Corvette does the above and we have successfully used it on an eight rib drive Z06. Bob
That sounds like a plan. Build a custom setup so the blower has its own dedicated belt driving it. I am curious about your situation. Has no one else ever run a TVS2300 with the same pulley size you are running, or pushed the amount of air you are attempting to push? I would guess that the vehicle you have decided to maggie-charge is rather unique, but i cant believe that no-one has used a TVS2300 on a motor similar\same to what you are using it on, pushing similar\same boost with a similar\same pulleys. So why is it that you are experiencing such problems?? Why are you getting the amount of belt slippage you are seeing, and having to have the belt so tight it snaps water pumps in half?? Could it be that something is wrong with the blower itself, and that perhaps either the bearings are broken or something doesnt line up properly inside the blower, causing it to be extremely difficult to spin the blower?? This would explain why you are getting belt slippage no matter how tight you have the belt, no matter what you do.

Please keep us informed as too what happens, especially if you either solve the problems or abandon it. You and your shop's reputation proceeds you, and i don't think i am alone in being absolutely shocked that you hit a problem that has you stumped. I have seen some of the work you have done, building custom pieces and parts, modifying the body work and frame of cars to build one off setups, etc. Perhaps that is why something like "belt slip" stumping you has got my and other member's attention, as opposed to the 23000 other threads asking about belt slippage.

Best of luck to you Bob.

Originally Posted by zippy
If you're running that much tension on the belt and it's still slipping it might be worth going to a tension with less tension and just spinning it slower. If you have to work the blower that hard that it's slipping the belt with 8 ribs and that much tension on it that just tells you that it's out of it's element. You could go with a 10 rib like the guy just did on performancetrucks.net, but either way your whole idea with the build of reliability is just going out with the truck. It's a good thing you didn't ship it out already. I'm suprised you haven't pulled that thing off there yet.
I am with you in that i am a bit surprised Bob hasnt said "Oh **** this, grab one of the big pro-chargers. What do you think, F1A or F1R for the hummer?"
Then again, i can understand looking at this as a personal challenge and being dedicated to solving the problem.
I say you try the best you can. First check out the blower, make sure it isnt fucked up. If it is ok, sit down with some of your fabricators and see if you can draw up an individual belt drive for the blower alone. If that wont work (wont fit, for example), try a cog drive. If that fails i say **** it, pull the maggie off and send it back. Then slap a big *** procharger on there and call it a day.

Quick Reply: TVS 2300 on built LS3 with stroker crank - Any ideas on how much boost we'll see?