Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I wasn't sure at what point the smaller tubing would become a restriction, kind of like the exhaust.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:03 AM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didnt see where your question was answered, but the reason that 69 camaro didnt have a n intercooler was because they were runnihg straight Methanol (alcohol)
It runs so cool, you dont need an I/C, just major fuel delivery.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:05 AM
Race your car!

Believe me I want to just go that route and put a carb/methanol on and be done with it... but I have a couple races a year that require EFI to be legal, so I'm stuck on that one.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:26 AM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Believe me I want to just go that route and put a carb/methanol on and be done with it... but I have a couple races a year that require EFI to be legal, so I'm stuck on that one.
Methanol and EFI-works better than anything
Old 04-19-2010, 11:27 AM
Race your car!

Also a thought. Can that be done without an i/c setup? Sure would make for alot easier setup. Just have to check into things and see if methanol is legal fuel.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also a thought. Can that be done without an i/c setup? Sure would make for alot easier setup. Just have to check into things and see if methanol is legal fuel.
yup...thats what shawn is doing on his 10.5 car.

bad part is the insane amount of fuel needed...
Old 04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Race your car!

Yeah but I'm not looking to make 3400 hp, I'm aiming for about 2000 less then that.

Trying to keep it simple, if methanol is legal and not a big headache to deal with, and I get to ditch the intercooler completely it would be worth while.
Old 04-19-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah but I'm not looking to make 3400 hp, I'm aiming for about 2000 less then that.

Trying to keep it simple, if methanol is legal and not a big headache to deal with, and I get to ditch the intercooler completely it would be worth while.
you'll still probably be in dual injector territory...need roughly 2x the fuel compared to gas
Old 04-19-2010, 11:39 AM
Race your car!

Damn it. Always a catch.

Still something to consider. Methanol is legal for what I want to do.

Gonna have to get someone to tune it that is in the know for sure, either that or the oil will likly be looking like milk.

That belt driven pump enough pump for that, and ya run 1 or 2 regulators for a methanol setup, what about the fuel lines, anything different material wise? Methanol, isn't that stuff more caustic to alum and whatnot?

Trying to get a feel for what I'm looking at here.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

need to figure:
additional fuel injectors + modifying intake for additional fuel injectors
single regular aeromotive beltdrive rated to support 1800 on methanol (single regulator)
BS3 two injector upgrade runs about 1200 IIRC
All said and done its gonna cost well north of 2K to do right...

when I added it all up...I said screw it and stayed with gas...

Damn it. Always a catch.

Still something to consider. Methanol is legal for what I want to do.

Gonna have to get someone to tune it that is in the know for sure, either that or the oil will likly be looking like milk.

That belt driven pump enough pump for that, and ya run 1 or 2 regulators for a methanol setup, what about the fuel lines, anything different material wise? Methanol, isn't that stuff more caustic to alum and whatnot?

Trying to get a feel for what I'm looking at here.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:26 PM
FormerVendor

actually you can do it with one injector-the precision 500lb injectors will work fine at one per cylinder.This means the only upgrade is the wide band for methanol.if you need to buy a pump and regulator is not much more to upgrade now.

the beauty of methanol is that you can do so much more in the engine-more compression,better camshaft etc.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:36 PM
Race your car!

That was also a thought. I was looking at it and saying 11 to 1 compression would probably be great with the smallish motor... but with the methanol I probably can get away with ALOT more.

I was honestly looking at all the BS3 upgrades, vs just buying an XFi system, at this point the XFi almost looks like a cheaper way to go about it and I'm sure it will work just as good. Unless I happen acroass a killer BS3 deal.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

That was also a thought. I was looking at it and saying 11 to 1 compression would probably be great with the smallish motor... but with the methanol I probably can get away with ALOT more.

I was honestly looking at all the BS3 upgrades, vs just buying an XFi system, at this point the XFi almost looks like a cheaper way to go about it and I'm sure it will work just as good. Unless I happen acroass a killer BS3 deal.

dunno how xfi does with methanol...bs3 can do wideband control down to 2.9:1 AFR for a mere $2000 upgrade

GEN3 PRO SEFI - NTK WB02 for Methanol Upgrade
BS3-005-017
$2,000.00
Old 04-19-2010, 12:47 PM
Race your car!

Jesus that's painful. BS3 is seriously raping people with the upgrades IMO.

I'm gonna do alot of looking at teh XFI just because I know that upgrades are alot cheaper, when you actually need one. Supposedly there's ways to do alot of it with just different multipliers in the tables.

Is the O2 upgrade really needed, can you read the plugs with methanol like you do with gas, or is the upgrade needed because you can't read the plugs good enough?
Old 04-19-2010, 12:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

the cost is driven by the specialized O2 sensor to read that low in A/F

all-in-all its just a bit more expensive to go methanol...the I/C is a pretty pricey part in gas apps...plus you need to consider all the extra plumbing, vbands, etc that adds up.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:51 PM
Race your car!

o.k.... still doesn't answer the question, is that really needed? I don't really believe in the O2's.... if I have the option of watching those and reading plugs I'll take reading plugs. They're in the combustion chamber, they know what's going on in there, o2's just see a collaboration of what's happening down the exhaust pipe.

IMO, the plug can tell you more. Unless the methanol doesn't allow accurate reading.
Old 04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

o.k.... still doesn't answer the question, is that really needed? I don't really believe in the O2's.... if I have the option of watching those and reading plugs I'll take reading plugs. They're in the combustion chamber, they know what's going on in there, o2's just see a collaboration of what's happening down the exhaust pipe.

IMO, the plug can tell you more. Unless the methanol doesn't allow accurate reading.

dunno...I never ran methanol
Old 04-19-2010, 01:01 PM
Race your car!

Niether have I... hoping someone that has will speak up.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:36 PM
FormerVendor

don't know why people don't want to believe in o2's.Reading the plug is great-but,reading the plug only works well if you have a flat fuel and timing curve.you can't see fuel spikes and things of that nature in reading plugs.If you combine reading plugs with o2's and egt's you can have a almost perfect idea of what your engine is doing the entire pass-without all,you're just guessing.
Old 04-19-2010, 02:14 PM
Race your car!

I'm old school with stuff... when I started playing around with cars we didn't have any of that.

Not to say it can't work and doesn't provide some useful data... but to a guy that doesn't know it... it doesn't mean anything.

I wouldn't have a problem learning it... problem is noone up this way knows the info like I think you have to in order to really utilize it... at least not people I know/trust to give me accurate info on that sort of thing.

Quick Reply: Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread