Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:56 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by GrahamHill
I can tell you from personal experience that the piece is up to the task. But you have to stay with it and check all tables if the box has been sitting for a long time. Same thing with the AMS 1000, MSD programmables, and RacePak acquisition systems.
This is BS, and I don't mean BigStuff. Microprocessor-based control systems include self-test features. Memory tests are basic. If the table memory spontaneously changes for some reason, such as not being refreshed soon enough, an error should be detected during power-up tests. The way this typically works is as follows: Whenever any table is intentionally altered (written) a number called a checksum is computed that is a function of the entire table. The checksum is stored somewhere in the system. One of the power-up tests recalculates this number and compares it to the stored value. If the numbers differ, as they will if any part of the table changes randomly, the test fails. There are different classes of tests. If a critical test fails, the system will refuse to generate the signals needed to start and run the engine. There is no good reason that any microprocessor-based control system should not include simple self-tests, especially a system designed to control dangerous and/or expensive machinery.

Last edited by Gary Z; 03-31-2011 at 08:08 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:51 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That would be 200% awesome for Big Stuff and others to look into! I don't think they have any checksum systems built in.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:38 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I should admit that I have no hands-on experience with BigStuff or any of the other systems mentioned by GrahamHill. I think I can state my thoughts more clearly if I try again.

If an engine control system stores critical parameters in a type of memory that is susceptible to spontaneous changes while unpowered, then the system should verify the integrity of those parameters during startup. A checksum is one way (probably the easiest way) to accomplish this verification. Many other tests are possible and I believe necessary, especially for a system that controls large machinery. System self-testing is naturally included during the design process. The exact type of tests used and when and how often they are performed are legitimate design decisions. To not include any self-tests or “sanity checks” in the final product would be incompetent and negligent. My main point is that it is very unlikely that none of the systems GrahamHill mentioned include some such tests. The reason is simple. Control system designers are not necessarily very bright but most are fearful enough, and just smart enough, to play an excellent game of CyA.

Last edited by Gary Z; 04-01-2011 at 12:55 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:03 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

A better idea, would be for the program to come up with a list, before you save of the tables edited..... As in "you have edited X tables, do you wish to continue?" that way you are 100% that only what you wanted to change was changed.

There should also be a "view" mode, so that you can look at the file without actually having the ability to change ANYTHING. In the event you want to look it over without making any changes.....

The software is archaic at best. After using the BS3 software, I honestly see a huge opportunity in the marketplace for a system that can do what it can do, with an actual good interface for the user.
Old 04-02-2011, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

I think AEM has seen the same opportunity and stepped up.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:33 AM
FormerVendor

Has anyone here used the MoTeC? If so, how is the interface and reliability?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:13 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by lt1camaroman93
Has anyone here used the MoTeC? If so, how is the interface and reliability?
Motec is great, the reliability is second to none plus you can configure it however you want. The only downside is the price. We currently run an m800 is one of our supras and turbo mustangs. Previously we had used aem in the supra and we always had issues, with the motec we never worry about the dependability of the ecu
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

got the cart painted and the front end reassembled. Have to go out of town for the next 5 days, so the rest has to wait

Old 04-03-2011, 12:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
The software is archaic at best. After using the BS3 software, I honestly see a huge opportunity in the marketplace for a system that can do what it can do, with an actual good interface for the user.
My boss use to tell me somethin...If it was easy then everyone could do it.

Clearly that wont work for the tuners.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by brobards
Motec is great, the reliability is second to none plus you can configure it however you want. The only downside is the price. We currently run an m800 is one of our supras and turbo mustangs. Previously we had used aem in the supra and we always had issues, with the motec we never worry about the dependability of the ecu
Glad to hear it. I have a new street car on the way and it has a MoTeC in it. Can't wait to check out the interface. Then it goes to Jim at Speed Inc for him to play with!
Old 04-04-2011, 02:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'm going to finish putting the golf cart together, then I'm thinking hard about selling off the whole operation

need to figure out a price for a complete...ready to go race setup less engine.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I dont even know what to say, this sucks, cant say I blame you either.
Old 04-04-2011, 05:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

at a bare minimum, I'm out for the year....Just don't have the funds available to fix all the damage. Will probably get the block repaired, but thats just a small piece of the total amount that needs addressed
Old 04-04-2011, 06:10 PM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Id sit out for the season. Don't just get rid of all of that hard work over one set back (even though it was a big one). Come back better than ever next year and enjoy the car that you spent all of that time building. It is a beautiful car, you need to be the one to enjoy it!

Sean
Old 04-04-2011, 06:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats the problem...its been 1 1/2 years since I last enjoyed it....now its going to be 2 1/2 years....kinda hard to sit on something that long when it just takes up garage space
Old 04-04-2011, 06:49 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Fireball
thats the problem...its been 1 1/2 years since I last enjoyed it....now its going to be 2 1/2 years....kinda hard to sit on something that long when it just takes up garage space
Not to many people get took at something and say THEY built it, all of it, especially something of that caliber.

I agree, youve come way to far to let her go now. Just my opinion. And like i said in the pm, i wish you the best of luck in the future, but you cant quit now.

You certainly dont want to let that thing beat you! Sometimes its easier, but we wouldnt be competitive people if we didnt get down from time to time. Its whats drives us. You'll get her, and obliterate the 1/4. I have faith!
Old 04-04-2011, 07:16 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like I said before Brian it really sucks no one expects or want to see a failure like that let alone on the first outing with a new motor. I think you should just let it sit for a month or 2 before you make a decision to sell or rebuild. In the mean time once Chad and I get up and running you can lend a hand with out low buget operations
Old 04-04-2011, 07:57 PM
10 Second Club

Brian i have a ls3 long block sitting on va. speeds rafter. If it will help you to reduce the overall cost of rebuilding your badass motor i will give it to you.
Check with Shawn.
Ken.
PS, i was just using it as a backup motor.@ 700hp but your welcome to it.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by silver2010
Brian i have a ls3 long block sitting on va. speeds rafter. If it will help you to reduce the overall cost of rebuilding your badass motor i will give it to you.
Check with Shawn.
Ken.
PS, i was just using it as a backup motor.@ 700hp but your welcome to it.
That is one hell of a stand up thing to do! Makes me proud to be into Drag Racing!!
Old 04-04-2011, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Appreciate the offer...but not good for what we are doing

Quick Reply: Fireball Outlaw Drag Radial Rebuild Thread