Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Oil Leak from Behind the crank pulley

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 07:57 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil Leak from Behind the crank pulley

My crank is pinned (came like that with my shortblock I bought). The damper is keyed, the leak is coming from behind the pulley.

Is it standard to put rtv on the crank pin or what? There's no leakage for about 1-2 minutes, then it leaks pretty good.
Old 05-16-2010, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its that front cover seal where the balancer pulley goes, that is leaking. it may have been damage or just worn. Is the pulley all the way on it should be a tiny gap betwwwn the two.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:17 AM
On The Tree

I pulled the front cover, the seal looks fine atleast for the amount of oil leaking out of it.
Old 05-16-2010, 08:30 AM
TECH Addict

So the back of your pulley is coverd in oil? That seal has to be perfectly centerd and teh pulley has to be almost flush with it. are u running a stock dampner? oh and did u apply some rtv at the base of the cover where it meets the pan?
Old 05-16-2010, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
So the back of your pulley is coverd in oil? That seal has to be perfectly centerd and teh pulley has to be almost flush with it. are u running a stock dampner? oh and did u apply some rtv at the base of the cover where it meets the pan?

Its definatly not leaking from the cover, as its on the pulley and swinging it all over the engine.

The damper is not stock it's keyed, thats where I think its leaking from. I noticed that it did have some old RTV left in the keyed slot on the damper from the previous owner.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:26 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Originally Posted by OUTLAWZ RACING
That seal has to be perfectly centerd and teh pulley has to be almost flush with it.
Correct. The front and rear covers have to aligned correctly and not just eye-balled. If the front cover is not aligned correctly, oil will leak from the crank seal, get on the balancer, and everywhere else.
Old 05-16-2010, 09:38 AM
On The Tree

Yeah the more I think about it it can't be the pinning kit, otherwise it would be leaking from the front of the pulley not the rear.

So you're saying its not the seal was bad, the entire cover was mis-aligned, would probably make sense. Any tips to align it? I try some searching.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

timing cover needs to be aligned properly, but i think it is too late for that now, you will need to replace the front main seal.

if you do not have the front cover aliment tool , just install the front timing cover and leave the bolts loose then install the balancer all the way inn and the tighten the bolts on the timing cover.
Old 05-16-2010, 11:40 PM
10 Second Club

Mines leaking too..ive never heard of aligning the cover before..
Old 05-17-2010, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Snyper
Mines leaking too..ive never heard of aligning the cover before..
that is why it is leaking

all ls series engines do. most others do not
Old 05-17-2010, 12:40 AM
TECH Addict

Ive never aligned my cover either...no oil leaks here. Ive never read about aligning the cover on any how tos
Old 05-17-2010, 01:48 AM
TECH Addict

that is the way gm wants you to do it.

as i have stated before, if you do not want to buy the aliment tool just use the balancer to align the timing cover. did that on my friends car 6 month ago and it is nice and dry, i did not even replace the front main
Old 05-17-2010, 05:56 AM
TECH Regular

I had this oil leak, drove me CRAZY. Finally I went back in aligned teh cover w/ a new seal and it stopped. PIA, but you can either deal w/ a constant oil leak or align it and have a nice clean motor.
Old 05-17-2010, 07:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by czwalga00gt
Yeah the more I think about it it can't be the pinning kit, otherwise it would be leaking from the front of the pulley not the rear.

So you're saying its not the seal was bad, the entire cover was mis-aligned, would probably make sense. Any tips to align it? I try some searching.
Yeah if the cover is not centerd then the pulley would ride on the seal. It dosent take much either. And the way elis said to do it works just fine I done to mine also. I had a leak that just coverd my pulley and made my belt slip and all types of wrong stuff, but once i got it straight it was fine. Eye balling the seal does no justice either it is recomended that its change out if you ever remove your pulley.
Old 05-17-2010, 08:02 AM
Banned

I always install the front cover bolts to the block loose and then torque the bolts that go through the oil pan to 18ft lbs and then torque the front cover to block bolt to 18 ft lbs and never had a leak yet!!

Quick Reply: Oil Leak from Behind the crank pulley