Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

AES 390ci - Now with Callies Dragonslayer crankshaft

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djfury05
What kind of heads would be best suited for this 390ci motor? I've got some 243s cnc'ed by Advanced Induction to 62cc setup for a 3.9 bore. Would there be much benefit in swapping these for a larger 4.0 bore head or will I be ok? Not sure if the 62cc is too much milled off or not depending on piston dish.
Heads should be fine, I'd perfer a thicker deck cylinder head. When people ask me this I typically offer, TFS 220 as cast heads. Thicker deck, stainless valves and dual springs.

In my own combination i'm running 62cc, it ends up around 10:1 compression

Originally Posted by djfury05
Also, what, if any, would be the negatives to running an f1 series blower on this motor as opposed to a d1sc, novi, ysi etc. ? Reason being is I've always wanted to do a procharger and I don't want to get to the limits of the d1sc and not be happy. I also like that the f1 series sound like jet engines lol.
No negative to an F series blower, i'd run a dragonslayer crankshaft, if you're installing an F1 blower you're looking for 15psi+, needs more belt tension or cog belt, its much harder on the crankshaft.

To get a F1 to hold need the belt tightened like a banjo string, with the ATI setup you tension the belt till you see the bracket flex. SDCE bracket fixes some of that.
Old 12-22-2010, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AES Racing
Heads should be fine, I'd perfer a thicker deck cylinder head. When people ask me this I typically offer, TFS 220 as cast heads. Thicker deck, stainless valves and dual springs.

No negative to an F series blower, i'd run a dragonslayer crankshaft, if you're installing an F1 blower you're looking for 15psi+, needs more belt tension or cog belt, its much harder on the crankshaft.

To get a F1 to hold need the belt tightened like a banjo string, with the ATI setup you tension the belt till you see the bracket flex. SDCE bracket fixes some of that.
Sweet sounds good Fraser. The 390ci motor is definitely at the top of my list I will let you know when I am ready for it .
Old 12-22-2010, 02:14 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, I think I just spent next year bonus money
Old 12-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Fraser I'm curious... if someonwe were to end you a top end setup, could you put that together with one of these shortblocks?

And, could you put one of these together with an RHS block, and keep the CI around the same, and can you convert a 4 bolt atermarket casting to a 6 bolt?

(wondering... if what I have sitting here doesn't sell, if I can turn it into a viable boost engine. Shoot me a PM if you'd like and I can go over this with alot more detail)
Old 12-22-2010, 05:32 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
Fraser I'm curious... if someonwe were to end you a top end setup, could you put that together with one of these shortblocks?

And, could you put one of these together with an RHS block, and keep the CI around the same, and can you convert a 4 bolt atermarket casting to a 6 bolt?

(wondering... if what I have sitting here doesn't sell, if I can turn it into a viable boost engine. Shoot me a PM if you'd like and I can go over this with alot more detail)
We're planning to have a piston made in January 4.130" bore x 1.200" CH, -20cc full round dish, same ring stack.

Have that set up going into Outlaw 8.5 car with F2 out in Cali next year.

Would suit that RHS combination better.

Last edited by AES Racing; 12-22-2010 at 09:15 PM.
Old 12-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Teching In

At what power level do you recommend going to the lsx block ? Looking to convert from BBC in 69 Camaro to a Ls based engine would like to make 750- 800 to wheels reliably with twins or single havent decided yet. This will be thru a turbo 400. Dont want to have any issues of pushing water. Was told the 6 bolt heads would be a good idea.

This will be mainly a weekend cruiser with a little track time. But reliabilty is my main concern.
What would you recommend ?

Thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Addict

What are the first 2 shortblocks rated for horsepower wise? Pretty good prices!
Old 12-23-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cps57
At what power level do you recommend going to the lsx block ? Looking to convert from BBC in 69 Camaro to a Ls based engine would like to make 750- 800 to wheels reliably with twins or single havent decided yet. This will be thru a turbo 400. Dont want to have any issues of pushing water. Was told the 6 bolt heads would be a good idea.

This will be mainly a weekend cruiser with a little track time. But reliabilty is my main concern.

Thanks
There is no reason a 6.0L iron or Al block would not live at 800 rwhp if built like AES builds them.
Some time in the future I see a 397 AES short block for me. L92/LS3 4.065" bore and 3.825" crank.
Old 12-24-2010, 09:09 PM
Teching In

Fraser , Would really like your input on this .
Thanks

Thanks
Old 12-25-2010, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Hmmm. Couldn't u just use Asters auto tensioner setup Brute Speed is selling and that would fix most if not all of the belt wrap issues at 15 psi? How come the dragonslayer crank could handle it better than the compstar? I know it's a better crank I just don't know why lol
Old 12-25-2010, 05:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Hmmm. Couldn't u just use Asters auto tensioner setup Brute Speed is selling and that would fix most if not all of the belt wrap issues at 15 psi? How come the dragonslayer crank could handle it better than the compstar? I know it's a better crank I just don't know why lol

The metal is better the forging is better all handwork is done in house. Plus its made in the usa so at least ur pumping a little more money back into the US.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

if im not mistaken the snout of the crank is considerably stronger too, similar to a SBC crank with a BBC snout. the blower will suck down as much as 200 horsepower just through the head unit, the stress of that power is exerted directly on the snout perpendicular to the centerline of the crank mains but only in one direction. It pulls the crank snout strait towards the blower and with a weaker snout it just snappes off. the centri blower on teh 1200whp C5-R was said to use just over 200hp to turn, I forget who but a fella did it and posted it here a while back.
Old 12-26-2010, 09:10 PM
10 Second Club

Lots of info in here for the FI guys'
This looks like a great setup for anyone thinking about reliability with F.I. And the cost is dead on too.
Not to mention the great customer feedback, and service of AES.
A+ IMHO
Old 12-27-2010, 09:12 PM
FormerVendor

Fraser , Would really like your input on this .
Thanks
Was out for the holiday, sent you a PM

but as I reiterate from the PM, basically where I would draw the line on needing an LSX block, IF you need low impedance injectors cause 80lbs high Z injectors are maxed, i'd say thats a good starting point.

Generally for a turbo 6 speed car that could be 1100rwhp, Blower 6 speed it could be 900rwhp. TH400 turbo car 850rwhp. This is provided injectors have base pressure + boost without issue.

Originally Posted by eLiT3SnIpEz
Asters tensioner looks just like a SDCE tensioner that was available 6 years ago, chicken or the egg came first, I know the SDCE setup works well, many here have used it.

Dragonslayer is AISI-4340 forging, same forging that is used for magnum and XL cranks.

Originally Posted by 1CAMWNDR
There is no reason a 6.0L iron or Al block would not live at 800 rwhp if built like AES builds them.
Some time in the future I see a 397 AES short block for me. L92/LS3 4.065" bore and 3.825" crank.
Thanks, we should have pistons for that application shortly.

Originally Posted by LT1Formula007
This looks like a great setup for anyone thinking about reliability with F.I. And the cost is dead on too.
Not to mention the great customer feedback, and service of AES.
A+ IMHO
Thanks, have to buy lot of pistons, rods, cranks to get the price where I have it.

Really if you bought the 390 pistons we have as a custom (for most companies its a full custom)
, with the rings and pins we use, it would be a $1200 piston set.

let me know if you need anything.

Last edited by AES Racing; 12-27-2010 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:36 AM
TECH Apprentice

Wish I would have seen this before I started building mine. How much do you get to ship a short block to 48054? thanks
Old 12-28-2010, 08:55 PM
Teching In

Coming out with 4.005" version of the pistons expected January.

385 series LS2 shortblock, $3995 + shipping
CP-Carrillo pistons -15cc, NPR gas nitrided steel top ring, .180" wall chrom-moly pins, Compstar 5140 forged crank,
Compstar forged H beam, ARP main studs, LS2 block

I really like that. That's exactly the direction I'm wanting to go with my APS kit with LG Turbos. Is there a core price on top of that?
Old 12-29-2010, 02:51 AM
Launching!

Talking

Good work Fraser thats nice engine combo with heaps of options your knowledge and ASE great stuff.
CHEERS
JOE
Old 12-30-2010, 05:20 PM
TECH Resident

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Asters tensioner looks just like a SDCE tensioner that was available 6 years ago, chicken or the egg came first, I know the SDCE setup works well, many here have used it.

Dragonslayer is AISI-4340 forging, same forging that is used for magnum and XL cranks.
Aish I feel like an idiot. I read this on my phone and for some reason I thought you had said that the C-series crank was responsible for less belt wrap and you needed to upgrade for it. Haha it was Christmas with friends, a little too much

Sounds awesome though, when I finally get around to a forged shortblock, I have no doubt I'm going with you guys
Old 01-01-2011, 10:39 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by EDISKRAD EHT
I really like that. That's exactly the direction I'm wanting to go with my APS kit with LG Turbos. Is there a core price on top of that?
No core charge
Old 01-02-2011, 07:46 AM
11 Second Club

Shiny to replace the old

My 390 is going in the car today!

Quick Reply: AES 390ci - Now with Callies Dragonslayer crankshaft