Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Can i run waste gate on my procharged car

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can i run waste gate on my procharged car

Can i run say a tial waste gate on my d-1 procharged ls2. vs procharger bypass. wat are the pros and cons.. sorry i just posted something similar... but this is a more direct question thanks
Old 03-15-2011, 09:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A wastegate is used on a turbo application. It's basically a valve that goes into the exhaust to connect the pipes before and after the turbo. It regulates how much boost the turbo produces by opening to allow exhaust to bypass the turbo when the desired boost level is reached, essentially changing the pressure ratio between the manifold and the downpipe.

It wouldn't have any application on a car with a procharger.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:27 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Mike454SS
A wastegate is used on a turbo application. It's basically a valve that goes into the exhaust to connect the pipes before and after the turbo. It regulates how much boost the turbo produces by opening to allow exhaust to bypass the turbo when the desired boost level is reached, essentially changing the pressure ratio between the manifold and the downpipe.

well y couldnt u still use a wastegate??? if u tuned ur procharged car on 25lbs y couldnt u use a wastegate to manage the boost. like if u wanted to run 25lbs at the track and 15lbs on the street, u could change it with the spring in the wastegate instead of changing the pulley? wouldnt that work? but u will still have to have the procharger valve or some sort of BOV

Last edited by hatcher1986; 03-15-2011 at 09:29 PM. Reason: word
Old 03-15-2011, 09:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

put it on the intake, there are several setups like that here.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mike454ss
a wastegate is used on a turbo application. It's basically a valve that goes into the exhaust to connect the pipes before and after the turbo. It regulates how much boost the turbo produces by opening to allow exhaust to bypass the turbo when the desired boost level is reached, essentially changing the pressure ratio between the manifold and the downpipe.

so am i thinking a blow off valve then
Old 03-15-2011, 09:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by firehawk68mcleod
so am i thinking a blow off valve then
Im not sure, are u talking about the valve that coes with the procharger kit, if so then that is a BOV. and yes u can use different styles and brands.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hatcher1986
Im not sure, are u talking about the valve that coes with the procharger kit, if so then that is a BOV. and yes u can use different styles and brands.

[I] didnt see the second reply ... yeah its the black procharger bypass valve... my kit was used and also cam with a greddy .. it would be nice to regulate some gas milleage on the street.. lol with a small adjustment of a wastegate vs a seperate set of pulleys and belts//
Old 03-15-2011, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

[I] didnt see the second reply ... yeah its the black procharger bypass valve... my kit was used and also cam with a greddy .. it would be nice to regulate some gas milleage on the street.. lol with a small adjustment of a wastegate vs a seperate set of pulleys and belts//
thats exactly what i was saying.. much easier to change the wastegate spring than a pulley and a belt.
Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 PM
11 Second Club

Can i run say a tial waste gate on my d-1 procharged ls2. vs procharger bypass. wat are the pros and cons.. sorry i just posted something similar... but this is a more direct question thanks
Here what the mustang guys did vortech_centrifugal_supercharger_wastegate_install
Old 03-15-2011, 10:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have seeit done at the shop I use to work at c6 z06 with a t-trim cant remember the boost level but say we had it pullied for 10 pounds and put a 6 pound spring in it, the car made all the down low torque that it would have at 10 pounds but up top only limited to 6 pounds really cool little deal and worked out great
Old 03-15-2011, 11:19 PM
11 Second Club

Could it be adjustable or would it be set at 2 pressure settings. My only worries would be the tune.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by blue00ZZleeper
Could it be adjustable or would it be set at 2 pressure settings. My only worries would be the tune.
the adjustability would be in the wastegate depending on the spring pressure. u would set the blower pulley on whatever max boost lbs u would want to run and tune it on that. then with a boost controller and the wastegate u can turn it down to what u want. like i was saying earlier if u wanted to play around on the street u could easily just turn it down wth the boost controler.
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 PM
11 Second Club

My worry is that if I run 19psi max with a tune suited to it for max effort, what happens if I run lower then say my street tune of 16psi. If my "street" tune is for 16psi and timing reflecting upon that, can I run 12psi without the tune being all screwed up? I see the 2, tuned points but can you run in between without screwing something up? I'm not a tune guru but If you have 2 tuned set points, wont your tune not be optimal if you run a set boost out of those 2 points? Sorry if it doesn't make sense lol
Old 03-15-2011, 11:45 PM
On The Tree

My worry is that if I run 19psi max with a tune suited to it for max effort, what happens if I run lower then say my street tune of 16psi. If my "street" tune is for 16psi and timing reflecting upon that, can I run 12psi without the tune being all screwed up? I see the 2, tuned points but can you run in between without screwing something up? I'm not a tune guru but If you have 2 tuned set points, wont your tune not be optimal if you run a set boost out of those 2 points? Sorry if it doesn't make sense lol
I understand what ur saying. im not a tuning guru either. but if u were to tune ur computer for 19lbs, and have a way to turn it down, ur computer should adjust to that, as long as u dont go more than ur max boost level that the car is tuned for. As long as the car is tuned properly the computer is adjusting all the settings as the boost is on its way up to the max boost level, so if you had it set lower than the max, the computer should read that... these post are getn confusing and hard to type... i can tell it to myself but its hard to write out.. did that make any since to u?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:50 PM
11 Second Club

It did. I'm not sure on all the tuning specialties. lol Maybe someone better with the tuning aspect can chime in. I can do all the mechanical aspects, I'm just not that well versed in the tuning area. I'm not sure of all the inputs and the way the PCM reads them. I think it would work, but would it be a optimal tune? If 16psi is my max street tune and I have it set to 12psi, would it be a max effort tune on 12psi or would it "just work"?
Old 03-15-2011, 11:58 PM
On The Tree

It did. I'm not sure on all the tuning specialties. lol Maybe someone better with the tuning aspect can chime in. I can do all the mechanical aspects, I'm just not that well versed in the tuning area. I'm not sure of all the inputs and the way the PCM reads them. I think it would work, but would it be a optimal tune? If 16psi is my max street tune and I have it set to 12psi, would it be a max effort tune on 12psi or would it "just work"?

yea maybe someone with some good tuning exp will chime in. The way i c it it would be a max effort for whatever the boost controller is set at.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:24 AM
TECH Regular

If it's tuned for 16 psi and the map only sees 12 it's gonna give it the right amount of fuel for 12psi. It's been done before without problem!
Old 03-16-2011, 01:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The only problem/drawback is...even if you have it turned down, you are still going to get all the higher/hotter iat's as if you were running your max boost
Old 03-16-2011, 08:50 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...l#post10030706
Old 03-16-2011, 09:22 AM
7 Second Club

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yes. you can run a wastegate on the charge pipe with a supercharger. While I would not use it to control total boost I would use it to cut power down low to get down the track. I would not use it to cut more than 3-6# of boost, change pulley size at that point.

Quick Reply: Can i run waste gate on my procharged car