Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Is it better to part out a car or sell it whole?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:03 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Is it better to part out a car or sell it whole?

I posted in this section because this is a common issue for people with forced induction cars so I'm hoping the mods give me a little leeway. This isn't a for sale thread.

I lost the motor in my car after around 20k miles due to a rod breaking (eagle I-beam pushed way beyond it's rating). It's going to cost me about $4k to put a forged 5.7L into the car, but I'm pretty much done playing with cars.

If I part it out the shell will most likely be scrapped because it costs to much to pay someone to replace everything with stock parts. I hate to see the shell scrapped because it has the nicest 8pt cage in it.

A lot of the stuff on the car is too big to ship easily such as the custom rear mount turbo setup because it's a one piece exhaust from manifolds to turbo and the IC pipe is one piece from turbo to inter cooler so there are no issues with leaks.

I don't want to spend the money to fix it because it's not worth much of anything because it's a 2000 SS (but still in good shape sans engine).

Even after spending $4k to fix it I don't think I could get much for it. I have no place to store it either and don't want to waste money storing it. If I had someplace to keep it I'd probably store it for a few years, but cars are very expensive to store.

If I was still employed full time none of this would be such a big deal, but like most people I've taken a HUGE pay cut.

Suggestions welcome.

This is the car, it's pretty nice so you can see why I'd hate to scrap the shell. Would be good for someone to build

http://dynamic.opticalanarchy.com:8080/zombie/SS/ <--- lots and lots of pics of the car and fabrication that went into it.

Last edited by Zombie; 04-20-2011 at 11:50 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im sorry to hear this man.

If you really cant hang on to it, try throwing a junk yark 6.0 under it and selling it that way.

If you cant move it, then part her out.

Hell, who knows, maybe just having a junk yard motor in their will allow you to somewhat enjoy the car again until it can be completely fixed right??
Old 04-20-2011, 02:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JAX04
Im sorry to hear this man.

If you really cant hang on to it, try throwing a junk yark 6.0 under it and selling it that way.

If you cant move it, then part her out.

Hell, who knows, maybe just having a junk yard motor in their will allow you to somewhat enjoy the car again until it can be completely fixed right??
Too much money to do that.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

You can get a fair amount parting it out but honestly sell the car complete with or without motor. Someone would ****** it up im sure.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Is it everything in your sig? If so sell it as it sits with the blown engine, its gotta be worth a good amount if it just needs a shortblock.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:53 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Hank Peabody
Is it everything in your sig? If so sell it as it sits with the blown engine, its gotta be worth a good amount if it just needs a shortblock.
All it needs is a new engine to be back up and running. I also have about $2200 in a fuel system I never installed. Car also runs a megasquirt II to control fueling (stock ECU controls everything else) and passes OBD II emissions check here in Vegas.

I guess I'll go list it as a roller in the for sale section, I just don't know what a fair price would be, would $10k be about right (new fuel system not included)?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:57 PM
9 Second Club

sell the roller for about 4-5k and wash your hands clean.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Tiago
sell the roller for about 4-5k and wash your hands clean.
You mean after parting it out or with the turbo setup, trans, etc?
Old 04-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Launching!

I need to go read your thread to see how the turbo system is set up. Looking for something like this to throw my 410 in.

Wouldn't want the transmission. Was the car an auto before?

PM me what ballpark you'd be in on that.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

u can get a 6 liter really cheap, stock internals etc. just push the limits of the block and save for a new built motor. thats what i would do
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by trans2000am
u can get a 6 liter really cheap, stock internals etc. just push the limits of the block and save for a new built motor. thats what i would do
Too close in cost to doing a forged setup due to labor so it's a no go.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

so your not willing to put a stock 6 liter in it or even 5.3. i know the easy thing is to just give up and all, but id think down the road you would miss the car and you can not duplicate that build for the amount you will get out of selling it.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Junkie

That is a nice looking car man, I would do whatever possible not to sell it!
Old 04-20-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Zombie
Too close in cost to doing a forged setup due to labor so it's a no go.
Why not take a stab at swapping the motor out yourself, it's really not that hard and you can rent an engine hoist for the day if you don't have one from any tool rental place.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

i have a feeling you dont want to put another motor in it because at this point in time you could really use the money for the other things, which is a legit reason to let the car go.

but if you are considering parting the car out yourself, you might as well just buy 5.3 or 6.0l and put it in because it is far less work in the end. Another thing to keep in mind is that it will take awhile to part everything out and money may or may not come as fast as you think.

If you are not doing any of the work yourself then sell the car as is with a blown motor. nice rollers go for ~5k. take the money youd get if you pulled the trans and rear end and sold them at a reasonable price and add it to the 5k. Thats how i would do it.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

drop in a high milage 5.3 for 250 bucks and sell the car with the other short block for 12+k. done, done, and done. you've got a **** ton of r&d in the car and its very well known here on the forums. its a proven combo. it WILL sell.

and i think you're way more into cars than you're letting on to be... are you SURE you wanna let this car go?
Old 04-20-2011, 05:50 PM
10 Second Club

I just found out I own some low comp forged 5.7L pistons and H beam rods because I told my builder I was going to fix it and he bought them... oops my bad / more stuff to sell.

My heart is no longer in it. I barely drove the car the last 2 years and I hate going to the race track here because it's a cluster ****. I just don't have any use for it any more and it's a liability to keep around due to something else possibly breaking, insurance, fuel, storage, etc.

I might be working outside the US later this year as well and have no place to keep it even if it does run. I have no ability to do any of my own work either. Use to love working on cars for a while, then began to hate it, then I got lazy, now it hurts too much.

Was a really fun street car that spooled super fast (about 1.5 sec from 20" vac to 15psi) with great street manners and AC. Hope I can find a good home for it, just need to figure out how to get the most money out of it.

I would not be in this situation if I wasn't forced into taking a 33% pay cut, but it is what it is and it breaking was just bad timing I'm worried about the future and having a job period.

If anyone needs an IT Manager, Admin, Engineer with 15+yrs experience, I'm looking. Willing to relocate.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell the fuel system ($2200) that you have laying around and the motor that's in it now. Drop in a 5.3 or 6.0 and sell it. There's no way that could cost you ANY money out of pocket.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:01 PM
12 Second Club

Good luck man... sorry to hear it.... hope things work out for you.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
If you are not doing any of the work yourself then sell the car as is with a blown motor. nice rollers go for ~5k. take the money youd get if you pulled the trans and rear end and sold them at a reasonable price and add it to the 5k. Thats how i would do it.
then i would do it like this, this is a VERY proven combo, and should move pretty quickly. you've got **** tons of data on this setup, which is worth its weight in gold. sell it with the motor and all the parts you have. dont even bother parting it out as the combo complete is what makes it so valuable.

Quick Reply: Is it better to part out a car or sell it whole?