Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Attention all stock shortblock players!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2011, 07:05 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
the street legal **** is that also..i would put money that almost 75% of the cars that show up saying they are street legal because there taged an such couldnt even get threw my states inspection..my mustang if i still lived in florida would be street legal all day and night..here it wouldnt even make it 1 min into inspection before i had 10 things that wouldnt get it threw..case in point,working wipers and windshield washer,must have cats,no after market exh's and even if you got by with it then you would get hit with noise level ****,race harness not legal,big cowl hood no go,e brake must work at 1k-2k rpms..see some of you guys live in car friendly states..just remember that some states arent that car friendly..

like i said its to far for me,plus im southern and have no need to run 1/4..im a 1/8th mile guy.
Totally agree that the "Street Car" statement is thrown around far too liberally. Went to a "street car" even this weekend where a 7.60 car won. On what planet is that a street car? Try driving that through my town and the local constabulary would have a field day.
Old 10-04-2011, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hope I didn't miss it but the rules of the track surely apply. These cars better pass tech. No one wants to race next to some idiot with a piece of crap car running 8's in an uncertified chassis. I've seen several guys post about making "such and such" pass and getting kicked off the track for not being legal. That surely won't be allowed?
Old 10-04-2011, 09:48 AM
Staging Lane

I am definitely up to make the trip from the Midwest area if there is two classes based on weight. I could care less about some tube chassis car if it weighs the same as me. I vote for the 2999lb and under class along with the 3k and up class. That way you can showcase more real streetcars.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:09 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 2000RATA
I hope I didn't miss it but the rules of the track surely apply. These cars better pass tech. No one wants to race next to some idiot with a piece of crap car running 8's in an uncertified chassis. I've seen several guys post about making "such and such" pass and getting kicked off the track for not being legal. That surely won't be allowed?
Doesn't having a full out race car being all legal take away from the Stockblockshootout idea? This event should then just become a run what you brung race. Any mods, any setup, any ls based motor. Stock or not just saying.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:59 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I love how so many people want to tailor the rules to fit THEM. If you don't have a competitive setup, then build one. The OP has wisely given us 7 month to prepare for his race. If you have a forged, stroked, aftermarket head 408 (like me) then pull it in favor of a stock engine. If you can't drive to Alabama then don't participate. Quit whining.

And after 9 pages - drop the debate on rod bolts. If the race director allowed aftermarket rod bolts in the first posting, then let it go. Your opinion doesn't matter anymore.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:11 AM
Teching In

^^ this. if you don't like the rules, don't play the game.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Resident

tell them Clyde!!
Old 10-04-2011, 11:24 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Chevy406
I love how so many people want to tailor the rules to fit THEM. If you don't have a competitive setup, then build one. The OP has wisely given us 7 month to prepare for his race. If you have a forged, stroked, aftermarket head 408 (like me) then pull it in favor of a stock engine. If you can't drive to Alabama then don't participate. Quit whining.

And after 9 pages - drop the debate on rod bolts. If the race director allowed aftermarket rod bolts in the first posting, then let it go. Your opinion doesn't matter anymore.
Indeed. What a bunch of Whiners.

If you want to have "this" race in your area, YOU do the legwork to put it together, then you can tailor the rules to whatever combination you want.

You can also deal with the same **** you're giving turbodiesel and see what it's like on the other side of the keyboard.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:47 AM
Staging Lane

Im working away at the rules and as it goes it does look like there will be a weight class for the "street and outlaw"

Street is used very loosely... In the headsup 10.5 world we have, Super street, ultimate street, true street, pure street, real street, LOL... ect. ALL pure racecars, some well into the 4's in the 1/8th.

I got alot of my start on the streets of Houston Tx back 10 years ago, TX had a pretty stout inspection then, atlanta GA does now, Chattanooga TN does as well. BUT that dont stop guys from cruising out on 28x10.5 slicks and getting down on a saturday night... inspection be damned, headlights, wipers, even tags. You streetrace your doing something illegal anyways, its your *** on the line and your taking a chance on a ticket for tags ect. THATS where all the "street" started. Period.

SO, there will be just a weight rule as the major factor. I would like to keep it on a smaller tire for the "street class" just for logistics sakes.

Now its deciding the weight break... is it 2999 and under for outlaw? or 3199 and under?

Here are my views and what ive seen in class racing... Most weight breaks are 3200 and even 3300-3500 in some outlaw dragradial classes. These are cars running 4.30's on radials and stock style suspension.

Most cars, especially budget oriented ones are over 3000lbs with driver... (we all must remember we live in FAT america and these cars dont drive themselves... Hell I weight 230lbs myself. That makes my 2700lb nova a sack of lead shot away from 3000lbs. Case in point... MOST of the outlaw cars will migrate over to the "street" class just by adding some weight in the back, so they have a better chance of winning. NOT saying everyone would do it. BUT, it will happen.

AS of now if there were an Outlaw class and Street class at 2999lbs break. Just SKinnies, and one other would be in outlaw... the two other vehicles that have already gotten close to the record or broken it, The nitrous/turbo s10 at 3140lbs on 10.5's and the hatch mustang from Parishville would be legal for street. The weight needs to be a scosh' higher too keep from cross-pollination

WHEN racing you have as little rules as possible... it actually becomes more successful because in the real world everyone will show up with a similar and competitive setup anyways. Its what competition is about.

My woman did an excellent job of designing and drawing the logo, which i think is hilarious. lol. Reminds me of the face I make when blowin flames out the tailpipe.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Teching In

Here's the logo.
Old 10-04-2011, 11:58 AM
9 Second Club

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

"TheKitchen"... LOL - it looks like she gets out every now and then. Cool of you to support your husband's playtime.

A lot of good thought going into setting up this race, from someone who obviously has experience. Thanks for all your efforts turbodiesel.

Taco I know you have a stock 5.3 that would make a good foundation for this event...
Old 10-04-2011, 12:16 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by turbodiesel
Im working away at the rules and as it goes it does look like there will be a weight class for the "street and outlaw"

Street is used very loosely... In the headsup 10.5 world we have, Super street, ultimate street, true street, pure street, real street, LOL... ect. ALL pure racecars, some well into the 4's in the 1/8th.

I got alot of my start on the streets of Houston Tx back 10 years ago, TX had a pretty stout inspection then, atlanta GA does now, Chattanooga TN does as well. BUT that dont stop guys from cruising out on 28x10.5 slicks and getting down on a saturday night... inspection be damned, headlights, wipers, even tags. You streetrace your doing something illegal anyways, its your *** on the line and your taking a chance on a ticket for tags ect. THATS where all the "street" started. Period.

SO, there will be just a weight rule as the major factor. I would like to keep it on a smaller tire for the "street class" just for logistics sakes.

Now its deciding the weight break... is it 2999 and under for outlaw? or 3199 and under?

Here are my views and what ive seen in class racing... Most weight breaks are 3200 and even 3300-3500 in some outlaw dragradial classes. These are cars running 4.30's on radials and stock style suspension.

Most cars, especially budget oriented ones are over 3000lbs with driver... (we all must remember we live in FAT america and these cars dont drive themselves... Hell I weight 230lbs myself. That makes my 2700lb nova a sack of lead shot away from 3000lbs. Case in point... MOST of the outlaw cars will migrate over to the "street" class just by adding some weight in the back, so they have a better chance of winning. NOT saying everyone would do it. BUT, it will happen.

AS of now if there were an Outlaw class and Street class at 2999lbs break. Just SKinnies, and one other would be in outlaw... the two other vehicles that have already gotten close to the record or broken it, The nitrous/turbo s10 at 3140lbs on 10.5's and the hatch mustang from Parishville would be legal for street. The weight needs to be a scosh' higher too keep from cross-pollination

WHEN racing you have as little rules as possible... it actually becomes more successful because in the real world everyone will show up with a similar and competitive setup anyways. Its what competition is about.

My woman did an excellent job of designing and drawing the logo, which i think is hilarious. lol. Reminds me of the face I make when blowin flames out the tailpipe.
As I stated in my own opinion and years of racing...the weight classes make it a fair game. The hard problem is deciding where to make the break at. I would go up against ANY car in the competition close to my weight. It will play out for some Badass racing. I look forward to making the trip to Alabama!
Old 10-04-2011, 12:17 PM
9 Second Club

I am not reading all 9 pages but let me make sure I have it right......

I can run a L76 with L92 heads with a set of rod bolts, main studs, and head studs? If I have a Carb conversion with a front drive dizzy that is ok too correct? Would you get the $500 bonus with it being in a camaro on stock suspension too if it was the fastest?
Old 10-04-2011, 12:27 PM
9 Second Club

Oh and would a LS7 or LS9 be allowed to run in these classes? Titanium rods>Powdered rods and all, so I was just wondering.
Old 10-04-2011, 12:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey Turbodiesel I like the logo.
Here's a old time racer's suggestion for your rules.
For the two top classes I suggest 3200 as the weight break, anything goes for power adders.
For N/A cars I suggest 10 pounds per cubic inch.
Like the old A Stock rules.
I feel a minuimum weight limit, say 3200 and any stock dimension LS will result in "big" cube motors ruling the class.
At 10 pounds per inch a guy with a flyweight Vega with a 4.8 at 2930 could stand a chance against a guy with a hopped up 6.2 LS3 Camaro at 3720.
Kind of like Grumpy Jenkins with his 1966 327/350 powered Chevy II being able to beat 426 Street Hemis.
Just a thought from an old racer.
And good luck with YOUR race.
It took ***** for you to oranize the event.

Jarhead
Old 10-04-2011, 12:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Pure One
Oh and would a LS7 or LS9 be allowed to run in these classes? Titanium rods>Powdered rods and all, so I was just wondering.
I think they said the ls9 wasn't going to be allowed but the ls7 is.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

turbodiesel,

i dont see a lot of cars at 3000lbs but i think 3200 is doable for a few, so i say

1.unlimited class- any door car, any tire, any heads, anything goes
2. limited - any door car, any tire, min weight of 3200lbs, stock heads, pump gas including e85
3. one motor rule
4. run both classes if you want - heck if I drive 10 hours to get there i will probably
want to run both classes
5. engine diaper on all motors

i dont think street legal should be included unless it is its own class because - there are a lot of racers out there racing every weekend but in a heavy car. they cant win unlimited, and they cant get legal for a street class

i think thats about as simple as it gets.

are rod bolts a stock shortblock? NO, and again NO. should they be allowed? why not - they dont constitute any real advantage in my book, but if that is going to be allowed then it needs to be asterisked that it had rod bolts.

bearings? seriously? NO but then again, who is actually going to catch this stuff, and what does it really matter? same thing with gapped rings. it is not going to help you win.

if you look at the fastest cars to date, they are not doing these things so I dont automatically assume that they add an advantage. if someone wants to add stock replament bearings more power to them.

so lets keep it simple and uncluttered.

1. unlimited. - any door car, any weight, and tire, any heads(for the nitrous guys mostly, anything.

2.limited. any door car, 3200lbs, any tire, stock heads, pump gas including e85

should the 427s etc be allowed? can you buy them cheap at the junkyard? the answer to both questions is NO.

what I think we will find is 4-8 cars in unlimited, and a buuuunch of cars in limited.
Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wanted to add this thought.
A N/A class based on weight to cubic inches would even the playing field and would attract lots more cars.
As far as the 427 engines I say let them in.
Sure you'll never find one in a junk yard but who cares.
At 10 pounds per inch I'd bet any day on a good 5.3 at 3250 against a LS7 at 4270.
If you think about it 10 pounds per inch would work for most street type cars.
5.3s at 3250 and 6.0s at 3640 would provide exciting side by side races for the majority of guys on this board.
Also I suggest carbs straight up against fuel injection and I'd bet on a powerglide carbed small engine car winning the whole thing.
Jarhead
Old 10-04-2011, 02:55 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Pure One
I am not reading all 9 pages but let me make sure I have it right......

I can run a L76 with L92 heads with a set of rod bolts, main studs, and head studs? If I have a Carb conversion with a front drive dizzy that is ok too correct? Would you get the $500 bonus with it being in a camaro on stock suspension too if it was the fastest?
From what ive read in the rules the vehicle must come oem equipped with the motor.
Old 10-04-2011, 03:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by suicidal racing
To far for me but i also dont get how you have unlimited power adders but then stock head castings..thats cool but what about the n2o only guys.we cant make the same power just spraying as what a turbo car can make with stock heads..n2o guys should be able to run aftermarket heads.

As for all you guys saying budget racer this an that cant make 2400#.you better look at any mustang then because my x275 style stock suspension notch with me in it once finshed should be right at 2400#s..thats 10pt cage,normal aftermarket stock suspension,ls1,th400,8.8,1 seat,carpet an interior panels,lexan all around,deck an hood only thing fiber glass..oh an im 250#
everyone should be able to run aftermarket heads. this is stock short block, not stock long block.

i say just sit down and clean up the rules, no more change this change that drama. it is what it is. if you build it, they will come...

Quick Reply: Attention all stock shortblock players!