Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

91 camaro twin turbo 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2012, 07:20 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there isn't one in the radiator. the cooler on the right side is for the trans and the cooler on the left side is for the oil. plus a cryo myster and meth.... i don't think I'll have over heating issues
Old 09-10-2012, 01:56 AM
TECH Resident

damn you do some good work , keep it coming!
Old 09-10-2012, 05:35 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
damn you do some good work , keep it coming!
thanks that honestly means a lot. its been fun just drawn out after 8 of these cars i'm just ready to be driving something lol. when its finished its' gonna be one mean car.

had a friend email me a pic of the truck intake with all the mounts ground off and sanded smooth... wow it looked cool so that might be my next pic I'm gonna give it a try and see how it looks.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Launching!

ok springs suck beyond belief wow i can believe how hard it was to get these back in. anyway one more head ache out of the way.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah those look like they would be a pain to compress and get the a arm up at the same time.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:24 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 95bowtie
Yeah those look like they would be a pain to compress and get the a arm up at the same time.
ya i hope i never have to do this again. those have been by far the worst thing i think i've ever done regarding cars.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:19 PM
TECH Resident

ive done them before , i can attest they are a pita!

have to have a good jack and a spring compressor and they still suck
Old 09-12-2012, 06:48 AM
Launching!

ya i had the good jack and the inside spring compressor still sucked lol
Old 09-15-2012, 06:34 AM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 5.3swap
ya i hope i never have to do this again. those have been by far the worst thing i think i've ever done regarding cars.
Wow that brings back memories. I remember having to do that on my old 86 camaro almost 20 years ago now and it still haunts me lol. I think when I was torqing down the spring compressor tool, it bottomed out and I wasn't paying enough attention and blew the threaded rod section of the tool right through the body sheetmetal. Oh to be 17 and oblivious again.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:14 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by V-10 Killer
Wow that brings back memories. I remember having to do that on my old 86 camaro almost 20 years ago now and it still haunts me lol. I think when I was torqing down the spring compressor tool, it bottomed out and I wasn't paying enough attention and blew the threaded rod section of the tool right through the body sheetmetal. Oh to be 17 and oblivious again.
lol ya i caught that one in time and flipped them the other way you get anything done with yours?
Old 09-15-2012, 01:05 PM
11 Second Club

Not yet, I had the money to get the machining and balancing done, but decided I wanted to get rid of a monthly payment or two first. So I'm sidelining it for a few months.
Old 09-15-2012, 01:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Front springs are easy as long as the engine is in the vehicle. If you're attempting to put them in with the ball joint loose and the bushings attached to the K-member, you're doing it wrong! No spring compressor is necessary
Old 09-15-2012, 04:49 PM
Launching!

Not yet, I had the money to get the machining and balancing done, but decided I wanted to get rid of a monthly payment or two first. So I'm sidelining it for a few months.
your having the crank balanced? i still need to make it over to your place, sorry just been crazy busy these last few weeks.

Originally Posted by Marc 85Z28
Front springs are easy as long as the engine is in the vehicle. If you're attempting to put them in with the ball joint loose and the bushings attached to the K-member, you're doing it wrong! No spring compressor is necessary
marc.. you the man cuz i sure struggled with it.

ok , spent most the day in the garage today on something i thought would only take about an hour. i did the ls1 brake conversion but had to do some grinding here and there to make them work. anyway this is how it came out... I'm loving all that red under there :chacha:

also, question... do you guys see any problems with the y-block that i might now be thinking about before i mount this under the car and connect the hoses. dual 3/8 in and single out with 5/16 return line to the tank. also is that factory fuel filter ... is that going to impede my fuel flow.. should i take it out and get an after market one or will it be ok with it in there.

thanks

Old 09-15-2012, 06:22 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by 5.3swap
your having the crank balanced? i still need to make it over to your place, sorry just been crazy busy these last few weeks.
Since I'm changing out the pistons, I have to have the rotating assembly rebalanced, and I found a small ding on the surface of the deck close enough to one of the sleeves to concern me. I think I might have dinged it when I was installing new heads last time. So starting bid right now for those two jobs is $500... It's amazing how fast money can fly away lol
Old 09-15-2012, 10:57 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Quite honestly a factory fuel filter or lines have no place with the kind of HP you are planning to make. You need large lines, both feed and return as well as a large filter. In my case I went with -10 feed AND return, although I plan to run E85 and have seen issues with using a small return while at low rpm with E85. I would recommend a -10 feed and -8 return at the least. Some may disagree with using these large lines, but when you come to fuel flow you really can't go wrong with going a step to large. Go too small on the return and it is just making your pump work harder.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:04 AM
Launching!

Since I'm changing out the pistons, I have to have the rotating assembly rebalanced, and I found a small ding on the surface of the deck close enough to one of the sleeves to concern me. I think I might have dinged it when I was installing new heads last time. So starting bid right now for those two jobs is $500... It's amazing how fast money can fly away lol
what machine shop did you find to do the balancing? only place i know around us is "circles" and they said they don't do balancing. i'm still on the fence one what i want to do with my heads or buy new and "circles" doesnt do any cnc work so buying new would be my only option as of right now.

Originally Posted by Sarg
Quite honestly a factory fuel filter or lines have no place with the kind of HP you are planning to make. You need large lines, both feed and return as well as a large filter. In my case I went with -10 feed AND return, although I plan to run E85 and have seen issues with using a small return while at low rpm with E85. I would recommend a -10 feed and -8 return at the least. Some may disagree with using these large lines, but when you come to fuel flow you really can't go wrong with going a step to large. Go too small on the return and it is just making your pump work harder.
sarge thanks for the input. i did read up on the lines and have found some pretty big hp numbers being ran threw the stock fuel line but i hear where your coming from. luckily the way mine is going to be set up wouldn't take but a minutes to put in some bigger line. thanks for the input always appreciated.
Old 09-16-2012, 07:59 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you can get to the pumps without a major rework it would be nice to run the larger line from where the pumps Y together forward. The harder those pumps have to work and the more restriction in the line the more they will heat the fuel. It is just about making a more efficient system vs a "good enough" system. Aluminum hard line will save you a bunch too! Much cheaper to use $/ft too.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:16 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Sarg
If you can get to the pumps without a major rework it would be nice to run the larger line from where the pumps Y together forward. The harder those pumps have to work and the more restriction in the line the more they will heat the fuel. It is just about making a more efficient system vs a "good enough" system. Aluminum hard line will save you a bunch too! Much cheaper to use $/ft too.
ya the y is easily accessible. maybe i'll price out some some braided fuel line.
Old 09-22-2012, 07:25 PM
Launching!

hey guys just a before and after(after coming next weekend) of what I'm doing to the exterior to clean it up. i should have pics of the car with the front fascia back on and new clear coat(wet sanded tonight and should be done with that tomorrow. rims will be mounted as well.... it will look like a brand new car when I'm done

Old 10-04-2012, 06:53 PM
Launching!

well i'm not done with the pretty work but did get it sanded down and some new clear on there. i still have to buff it up and put it back together but its coming.

Quick Reply: 91 camaro twin turbo 5.3