Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

91 camaro twin turbo 5.3

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 07:28 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome build man, definitely subscribing. I plan on doing a TT 408 when I get out of the Navy in 2014.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:11 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by irocman88
Awesome build man, definitely subscribing. I plan on doing a TT 408 when I get out of the Navy in 2014.
thanks, tt408 will be a fun ride make sure you post a build for us to follow.
Old 04-30-2012, 06:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like where you have your oil and trans cooler located brother. Will you have separate relays for each, or just one?
Old 04-30-2012, 06:58 AM
Launching!

not sure yet. i'd like to put them both on there own temp controlled switches but i dont even know whats out there for that so i'll have to look into it.

next thing on the list of things to do is to fab up the new rad/inter cooler supportonce thats done things should go a little faster.

thanks
Old 04-30-2012, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with brother. Keep the pics coming they are inspirational. I switched out my old steering box for a Jeep Grand Cherokee box over the weekend with a new rag joint. Won't see it was seem less, but it should make for a more fun car.
Old 04-30-2012, 12:33 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kainedogg
I am looking forward to seeing what you come up with brother. Keep the pics coming they are inspirational. I switched out my old steering box for a Jeep Grand Cherokee box over the weekend with a new rag joint. Won't see it was seem less, but it should make for a more fun car.
What does the grand cherokee box do for you? Faster ratio, right number of turns lock to lock? What year?
Old 05-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Launching!

hey guys my header flanges came in today so i jumped on summit and ordered 1 7/8 header kits. i know its after the fact since i ordered them but does anyone have an opinion on the size of these for my set up.... to big to small etc. ?

i figured making my own will give me the freedom to locate the turbos where i want them verses the truck headers or premade headers. with moving the rad a little forward and down it will give me a little more room the turbos.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Red89GTA
What does the grand cherokee box do for you? Faster ratio, right number of turns lock to lock? What year?
Without jacking Brian's thread too much, faster ration and 2.5 or 2.9 lock to lock vs 3.5. Chevelle forum has a break down on it, but its money well spent.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 5.3swap
hey guys my header flanges came in today so i jumped on summit and ordered 1 7/8 header kits. i know its after the fact since i ordered them but does anyone have an opinion on the size of these for my set up.... to big to small etc. ?

i figured making my own will give me the freedom to locate the turbos where i want them verses the truck headers or premade headers. with moving the rad a little forward and down it will give me a little more room the turbos.
B,

Can we see pics of what you got? Depending on how pretty you make them, I may have to order a set from you..lol Did your flanges look like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-LS1-LS...#ht_662wt_1396
Old 05-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Launching!

B,

Can we see pics of what you got? Depending on how pretty you make them, I may have to order a set from you..lol Did your flanges look like this?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-LS1-LS...#ht_662wt_1396
yup those are the flanges. they look ok... not the greatest but will work. my only beef with them is a couple of the cut outs are elypsed not much but noticable with eye.
Old 05-06-2012, 03:57 PM
Launching!

i spent most of the day in the garage today. was able to get a some stuff. i welded up the frame for the radiator/intercooler well some of it. this is just the start i still need to do the brackets and supports on the car and i have a few more things to add to the rad/cooler frame as well but you can get an idea of where i'm going with it. the intercooler will mount in front of the rad against the two vertical steel rods you see in the front.

in the pics the set up is higher then i'm going to have it i plan on lowering it about 2 more inches so i can have my intercooler exit come up over the rad to the intake.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:23 AM
TECH Senior Member

ya i probably will, might just make one of my own.

thanks guys.
Unless you are extremely confident in your fabrication ability, be careful about constructing a torque arm. they are HIGHLY loaded pieces. I personally would only consider TIG welding them to ensure high quality welds.
Old 05-07-2012, 07:40 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fireball
Unless you are extremely confident in your fabrication ability, be careful about constructing a torque arm. they are HIGHLY loaded pieces. I personally would only consider TIG welding them to ensure high quality welds.
did not know that.. thanks for the tip. i could always add duct tape

actually i was thinking about trying to reinforce the stock one......?
Old 05-07-2012, 07:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

did not know that.. thanks for the tip. i could always add duct tape

actually i was thinking about trying to reinforce the stock one......?
could probably plate it off, but it'll get VERY heavy. I'm assuming you've relocated it off the trans right? maybe look at one of the lower cost versions that use stock mounting points?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:05 AM
Launching!

could probably plate it off, but it'll get VERY heavy. I'm assuming you've relocated it off the trans right? maybe look at one of the lower cost versions that use stock mounting points?
i have not made my cross member yet for my 4l80e trans so i still have options. i'll tackle all that when i'm ready to mount it all in the car.

maybe stupid question but could i plate the stock torque arm with aluminum to keep the weight down?
Old 05-07-2012, 09:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

i have not made my cross member yet for my 4l80e trans so i still have options. i'll tackle all that when i'm ready to mount it all in the car.

maybe stupid question but could i plate the stock torque arm with aluminum to keep the weight down?
when you find a way to weld steel to aluminum...let us all know

guess if you're motivated enough you could weld in a bunch of nuts and bolt an aluminum plate to it...

but for the cost of the aluminum plate, you probably could already have bought a nice tubular torque arm
Old 05-07-2012, 09:12 AM
Launching!

when you find a way to weld steel to aluminum...let us all know

guess if you're motivated enough you could weld in a bunch of nuts and bolt an aluminum plate to it...

but for the cost of the aluminum plate, you probably could already have bought a nice tubular torque arm
lololol sorry i should have clarified lolol i meant to, ya do a bolt style set up. i could hold the plate on with my aluminum magnet(joking) and then weld on studs or drill holes in the torque arm for bolts and bolts. it was just a thought i'm still kinda a newbie ... be gentle lololol
Old 05-12-2012, 03:31 PM
Launching!

well the radiator stuff is all done. its all removable. i still still need to clean up the welds drill/tap some holes here and there but its done.

next will be onto the fan mounts for the trans and oil coolers. its coming along slow but i'm happy with how its turning out.

and what fun would a project car be with out the help of a top mechanic and consultant at your side
Old 05-12-2012, 04:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Looking good B, real darn good
Old 05-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Launching!

Looking good B, real darn good
thanks kain, ya i was happy how it came out. i cant wait to get past the fab part of all this so i can start smoothing out the engine and getting it ready for paint. i'm going to try and weld up all holes not being used so when i paint its will look clean in the engine bay.

Quick Reply: 91 camaro twin turbo 5.3