Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

WS6 S475 official build thread.......

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 02:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
ive only got a 2bar MAP.. if your tune is good then you can take it over 14, there is just no room for error lol.
exactly I'm not going to push my luck I will stop at 14 and be content with that until I have another motor waiting to go in. I do have an lq4 but I would like to forge everything and put studs in before I put that engine in. and maybe get a vic jr intake. Then do 20psi and methanol. lol

Me and friends going to the track Friday if it don't rain. Ill post many videos from the outing on here. Should have a d1 vette with rpm 4l80e conversion, lq4 swap mustang as well as myself. Track we are going to is low key 1/8 track not a lot of ppl and should get a lot of runs in. Good way for me to see how the car reacts off the line at different boost levels. Obviously ill have to be easy on the trans and the rear.

Last edited by mrstepheneades; 07-17-2013 at 02:30 PM.
Old 07-17-2013, 03:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 159 Likes on 77 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by mrstepheneades
exactly I'm not going to push my luck I will stop at 14 and be content with that until I have another motor waiting to go in. I do have an lq4 but I would like to forge everything and put studs in before I put that engine in. and maybe get a vic jr intake. Then do 20psi and methanol. lol

Me and friends going to the track Friday if it don't rain. Ill post many videos from the outing on here. Should have a d1 vette with rpm 4l80e conversion, lq4 swap mustang as well as myself. Track we are going to is low key 1/8 track not a lot of ppl and should get a lot of runs in. Good way for me to see how the car reacts off the line at different boost levels. Obviously ill have to be easy on the trans and the rear.

Oh believe me i understand. I feel the same way too. but i should be getting a rotating assembly soon as well.

If you just wanna see how much power the car has, dont worry about the launch, leave from idle and look at the trap speed. itll be a good indicator of how its doing
Old 07-17-2013, 04:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Ryans99ls1
Oh believe me i understand. I feel the same way too. but i should be getting a rotating assembly soon as well.

If you just wanna see how much power the car has, dont worry about the launch, leave from idle and look at the trap speed. itll be a good indicator of how its doing
This is what I know that's why im not gonna be to hard on the car at the track. Trap speed is not gonna change that much no matter how it hooks or whatever unless I do a track long burnout lol.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:05 AM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm pretty sure I am at 12 pounds before 4000 rpm and yes meth on full blast at 8 psi. No progressive controller. All or nothing lol.
But...but....but.....big cams with overlap bleed boost! But......but.....but.....big cams with 6 speeds will never spool quickly! But.....but......but.....a S475 with a 96mm turbine wheel and 1.32 AR housing...it will NEVER spool on a 5.7! Especially with a 6 speed!

Ignorance is bliss.
Old 07-19-2013, 09:53 AM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Haha I am betting on my little 5.3 being able to spool my s480 with the 92 mm turbine and t6 housing.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
But...but....but.....big cams with overlap bleed boost! But......but.....but.....big cams with 6 speeds will never spool quickly! But.....but......but.....a S475 with a 96mm turbine wheel and 1.32 AR housing...it will NEVER spool on a 5.7! Especially with a 6 speed!

Ignorance is bliss.
with the right stuff it definitely works lol...
Old 07-19-2013, 10:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Sarg
Haha I am betting on my little 5.3 being able to spool my s480 with the 92 mm turbine and t6 housing.
It should lol. Ill post the videos from tonight and ya'll can see how it spools off idle launches!!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:58 AM
8 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Exactly .....the right combo works. I could run a 6 speed no problem with the twin scroll and would be insane!! But just would be a nightmare at the track lol
Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Exactly .....the right combo works. I could run a 6 speed no problem with the twin scroll and would be insane!! But just would be a nightmare at the track lol
ill be experiencing nightmares tonight Doug lol........
Old 07-19-2013, 12:05 PM
8 Second Club

ill be experiencing nightmares tonight Doug lol........
Haha you will be fine. no clutch dumps and your good
Old 07-19-2013, 12:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Camaro9969
Haha you will be fine. no clutch dumps and your good
I'll just go by feel. Make first two or three passes on low boost. Got meth coming in right at the top even on low boost. Its in the way humid 90s here.
Old 07-19-2013, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

You'll be glad you have the meth injection on now. Your IAT's are probably in the 120-140 range on 8psi. Without meth on 12psi I can see them being in the 130-150 range.

Heck we were seeing 105-110 degree IAT's on a nitrous car last night we were shaking down at Mooresville LOL!
Old 07-19-2013, 04:12 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Sarg
With a Martin cam of course....
Old 07-19-2013, 05:13 PM
8 Second Club

His iats will be that high even with meth? I figured under 100 with it.
Old 07-20-2013, 08:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

Well, needless to say the track visit was interesting. Figuring out how to launch the car or get the spool going with street tires and a weak rear end. I ran several test runs on 8psi launching from idle and was getting frustrated. It didn't seem to want to spool till half track. Then pretty hard spin in 2nd and then hitting third and was at the line. Trapping only average 93mph. After two or three runs like that I had enough. Twist of the boost controller 12psi here I come. Since I know boost will come in earlier the higher I turn controller I staged it up a little. Like 2500 or so on the line and decided to try and slip the clutch a little to get some spool. And the result, 102.7 mph lol. I was thrilled, and on 275/40/17 coppers lol. But after that it was hit and miss 101 here, 100 there, Burnout, blah blah. Even one time smoked through the Monster Level 3 off the rev limiter through third. Its like the clutch got hot and someone poured butter on it lol. But all in all im impressed with almost 103 in a heavy fbody on street tires and stock rear 6speed. The way this car reacts there is no doubt in my mind if I could leave off the line spooling good I would pick up another 5mph. Need a th400 lol, but I like my highway feel to much for that.

Here are the time slips from 8psi to 12psi. Im car #12 on the slips

And some videos lol

Last edited by mrstepheneades; 07-20-2013 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-20-2013, 09:58 PM
FormerVendor

I think the reason it blew through the clutch on the one pass is from you trying to slip it too much off the starting line. You can hear it slip immediately and never grab in 1st gear and lock up. It only got worse as load increased in deeper gears.

I knew it was going to be a learning experience with the 10 bolt and not being able to get any type of decent launch. Honestly, that clutch isn't meant to be slipped. At all lol. It's a puck style clutch and they don't respond too well to slipping. Try not to do it anymore as you can warp the flywheel from doing that and cause really bad clutch chatter as a result.

You need a rear end, you don't need a TH400!!! That and a two step and you can run it till it grenades the transmission. Then you can buy one of our Level 3 Viper spec T56's....

The car has 6's in it with a good launch and quick shifts. Do you have a stock shifter? I would upgrade the rear end and shifter next if it's still stock. JMO.

MPH shows great power there though! The quicker you can shift the higher the MPH will go.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
I think the reason it blew through the clutch on the one pass is from you trying to slip it too much off the starting line. You can hear it slip immediately and never grab in 1st gear and lock up. It only got worse as load increased in deeper gears.

I knew it was going to be a learning experience with the 10 bolt and not being able to get any type of decent launch. Honestly, that clutch isn't meant to be slipped. At all lol. It's a puck style clutch and they don't respond too well to slipping. Try not to do it anymore as you can warp the flywheel from doing that and cause really bad clutch chatter as a result.

You need a rear end, you don't need a TH400!!! That and a two step and you can run it till it grenades the transmission. Then you can buy one of our Level 3 Viper spec T56's....

The car has 6's in it with a good launch and quick shifts. Do you have a stock shifter? I would upgrade the rear end and shifter next if it's still stock. JMO.

MPH shows great power there though! The quicker you can shift the higher the MPH will go.
I know I need that stuff Martin lol. Give me some money.. ha ha. Right now its just a roll race car. Interstate it kills lol. Got a guy near here with a dynojet I'm gonna try to get to the rollers and push 14 psi to at least know a number before something happens to it my luck. I'm just lucky to make it to the track and back without breaking stuff lol.

Last edited by mrstepheneades; 07-21-2013 at 08:26 AM.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Man, I need to stop coming into this thead because every time I do, I want more and more to build a turbo kit for my WS6. I think I'm going to just start looking for a junkyard LQ4 and start buying parts here and there and build it up in my garage for sometime down the road. I'm thinking a S480 is what I want, based on everything I've been looking at.

OP, I know what you mean about needing more money. You build up the engine and then the transmission and rear end need built, along with tons of other stuff. It's never ending and highly addictive. OP, your car is bad-*** as it is and I'm sure it will only get better over time.
Old 07-21-2013, 08:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice passes man!
Old 07-21-2013, 11:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yeah its addictive. I really like bangin gears but dang gonna hate buying drive train parts. Rear will be next upgrade.

Quick Reply: WS6 S475 official build thread.......